Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,891 times

Advertisements

Howdy all,

Been away too long and finally moving back to God's country and the best people in the world! I grew up out west between Salmon and Hamilton and my wife's from Salmon area, too. We're used to some tough winter issues, but we'll be new to the drive up from Red Lodge and into Billings. Can anyone speak to the reality of that 212 drive these days? We sure would appreciate some local wisdom on that stretch. 30 years ago, my dad and I rode motorcycles through there when we'd come to visit family above Billings, but I never drove it since or in winter. thanks, all - Semper Fi - Stuman

Oh, the wife also wanted to ask how the drive usually is between the Boyd area below Joliet on down to Red Lodge; does it stay open all the time usually? Thanks, folks. You can feel free to hit me up on the personal email too.

[EMAIL="stumansandan@yahoo.com"]stumansandan@yahoo.com[/EMAIL].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 10:17 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
Yesterday that stretch was "severe driving conditions" with part being emergency travel only. You can watch conditions on the Montana traveler information website.
Montana Department of Transportation Traveler Information Map

Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,219,009 times
US 212 from Red Lodge to Billings is called the highway of death by the MT Highway Patrol and for good reason. There are a lot of head on crashes and sideswipes because of people passing in poor locations or in poor road conditions. There are a lot of uncontrolled approaches and some blind intersections. The road does stay open even in bad weather. The road is in fairly good condition now.

I wouldn't want to do this for a daily commute. It is a bit harrowing for me even when I'm trying to go skiing.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
We've been living in Red Lodge this past year & on both drives watch carefully for deer darting out.

Are you thinking of RL to Billings for a commute?? It's great for running up to Costco & such but I wouldn't want to make that commute. Winds, sideway blizzards, white out conditions. Did I mention winds? Sometimes it's tough for us just driving from RL to the nordic area outside of town or up to RLM to ski LOL.

Red Lodge is the friendliest, safest town on the planet, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana