Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM

9 posts, read 8,903 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

I am going to move to Montana for a new start in life. I live in Oregon on the coast now which I am not from (original Colorado) and have for the past 25 years.- My kids are grown now and I need to get out of here. I am 52yr. old single female that has done mostly labor work-waitress, lumber mills, construction. I want to go back to college and get out of the labor force. I have done quite a bit of homework on Montana and have met many very kind, positive people from your state. My directive in this is:Are there any issues with mold there? I can expect a little but oh my gosh! Here it grows year round(black) and is really effecting my health. How is it for a pettite(but strong) 50 plus to obtain employment? Here in this small town employers want the younger gals and if you do get hired then the hours are minnimal(lucky to get 15hrs. a week) Also I plan to come see you all in less than a couple of weeks, I wonder where you would suggest first checking out (towns)- Just getting started and am a bit nervous as I do not know anyone there but seriously can not handle the depression of this small town, the rain, unemployment, mold and general negative atmosphere. I am a dang hard worker, have good ethics and responsible. So here this goes folks- something is drawing me there! Thank you for the help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,805 times
Question Depends on location.

Hi and welcome. ~♥~
Montana is so vast and diverse in micro climates that it would be wise to visit a few spots before setting down roots. There is black mold here also. I think that employment here may be as bad as where you are, many folks slave away for very low pay. At times I think is easier to start and run a business in Montana than it is to simply go get a job but that takes capital to hang in there until the business takes off and many start ups go down within months of opening.
It's nice here but it can also be tough. Sorry I can't give any specific info but I do wish you good luck and even just the change of scenery may cheer you up a bit. Most folks in Montana seem to be very friendly and helpful unless they get rubbed the wrong way.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
My suggestion is Billings. Do not even look at other places. The economy is strong. Winters are mostly sunny. For example, if you could get a job at Costco you would be set. Billings has best opportunities for you employment wise. Look here for an idea mtjobs.gov

If you want college I would respectfully suggest any community college in Wyoming. They have best bang for buck by far.

I can not speak to mold but Montana is mostly high desert arid.

Good luck & welcome. You'll do just fine here.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Moved from Newport to Montana, so understand the mold problem you face. It is not the same here, as we do not have the high humidity and wet winters you are used to. If you let an area in your home be constantly wet, you can have mold anywhere. In Newport it was a constant problem, but here with any reasonable care it will not be a problem.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 AM

Default From Newport to Montana

Hi and thank you so very much for the reply. How do you like the change? Where did you re-locate to and are you working now? Thanks in advance as I am sure you are aware of my present situation.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM

Hey thank you for the encouragement and confirmation. I have been leaning toward Billings according to my "homework" and I have always enjoyed the environment at Costco, it's just getting a position there I do have retail experience. How are the roads around Billings now? Am planning my road trip. Thank you again this helps me keeping positive.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the reply, I also have thought about even a "janitorial business" house cleaning I have done construction clean up before but now most contractors include this in their bid and use one of their own. I agree also about even just getting out of here for a bit. Thank you.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 AM

Sorry all as I am new to the thread thing I attempted to answer each one of you. In case I did not do this correctly thank you all very much for your time. I will read on instructions for replying to posts. Maybe heading out this Saturday and look so very forward to meeting new people and the beauty your state has to offer. Take care.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Billings is my major shopping area. Roads are excellent all over the area. Billings is in the snow and rain shadow of the Rockies so is not the terrible weather people associate with Montana.

Billings unemployment rate is 4% the 13th lowest of any metro area in the nation. Considering that 3% is considered full employment as 3% of people are always going to be between jobs as they change jobs, etc., Billings is only 1% above the minimum. Below 3% as in in Bismark ND which is only 2.2% is considered a labor shortage area. Companies keep looking at Montana to move factories to, but there is such a low unemployment factor when they run test ads for say 300 people and only get 50 to 75 applications total, they have to look somewhere else where there are people needing employment.

Billings area, is my choice of a great place to live in Montana.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 PM

82 posts, read 200,771 times
Default Wagons East!

I hope you enjoy your visit. Do extensive research, and choose the location that best suits your needs! The City-Data forum, especially Montana, has always been extremely helpful to those with questions on relocation, and communities in general. My wife and I moved to the Bitterroot Valley in February, and our time here still feels like a vacation! My wife is from Lincoln City (and I, Salem), and is still adjusting to the cold, despite our last three years in Yakima, WA! As for myself, I can handle it just fine.

Please keep us apprised of where you end up.

As a future resident, be sure to catch an episode or two of PBS' "Backroads of Montana" for additional education on the state. Easily found online, it's more on the anecdotal side, but one of the best ways to spend half an hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana