Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 112,967 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to MT in 2013 (possibly 2014), and are fairly certain we want to locate within the Flathead Valley. We'll be leaving on 12/15 on a 2 week trip to look around the area. I was born in MT, but left the state at age 6, my husband has visited MT several times, but neither of us are very knowledgeable on the area. We have been to the Flathead Valley a few times over the past 5 years, but never during the winter season, which is why we wanted to check it out at this time of year.

I'm wondering where would be recommended to live within Flathead County. We'll definitely be renting for the first couple of years, so it's not a concern as far as purchasing a home right away, but I'd like your thoughts on places to check out on our trip. Basically what are the pros/cons of Kalispell vs Whitefish vs Columbia Falls vs other areas in the county?

We're not concerned with employment, as I'm a stay-at-home mom and my husband can work from anywhere, and we also plan to homeschool when our children are school aged so school districts aren't a big concern either. I think what we'd like is to eventually purchase a home in an area that's more "rural suburban" with neighbors around, but more space than your typical suburban 1/4 acre lots. We'd probably like to live on 5 acres in a family friendly community.

Also, I know that climate can vary with just small differences in location. What (if any) are the climate differences between areas within the Flathead Valley (hotter summers, more snow, etc)? I'd appreciate any advise or tips and suggestions as to where we should check out on our upcoming trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 05:59 PM

629 posts, read 1,720,778 times
There are definitely some significant tradeoffs between the three main cities. I'm only up there in the summers and I've lived in C. Falls and Whitefish but not Kalispell. I'll give you my general opinions

Whitefish:
Pros - lots to do, lots of restaurants, very active and well attended farmers market in summer, very active population (you see people out and about), easy access to train station, you can walk/bike to just about anything you need, beach for the hot days, the resort for skiing.
Cons - expensive, high taxes, expensive homes/land. In a nutshell it's really expensive - you pay to have all those conveniences in close proximity.
Either way - It's definitely the resort town of the valley. That means more second home owners, more Californians, a little more 'high-brow.' Some people love those things about Whitefish, some hate it.

Columbia Falls:
Pros - less expensive, close enough to Glacier that I didn't feel like I spent too much time driving to pop on over for an hour or two during a random weekday evening, farmers market, concert in the park series most weeks in the summer, rodeos Thursday nights at the Blue Moon most nights in the summer. Mostly down to earth good people.
Cons - Fewer of the amenities that Whitefish has, the farmers market is far less well attended, less restaurants and less to do right in town. Less people out and about. Ever since the aluminum plant shut down the town has felt somewhat 'empty' for lack of a better word.
Either way - As mentioned a little more down to earth than Whitefish, but at times that comes with some rough edges.

Kalispell:
No real detailed view I can provide because I've only been there occasionally, but I love their downtown and they put on some good community events in the summer that seem to be well attended (farmers market, concert in the park series).

Old 12-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Thanks so much for the detailed comparison between Columbia Falls and Whitefish. Judging by what you've mentioned I believe Columbia Falls would probably be closer to what we're seeking. Here in FL (I'm assuming you've moved from FL to MT as well?), there are definitely areas with many 2nd homes, seasonal residents, and even some 2nd homes belonging to celebs. I believe we'd rather be in an area that's a bit more down to earth, and less of a resort area even if that means less amenities. The lower cost of living would be nice as well.

My only concern with that would be, as you mentioned with the aluminum plant's closing, that I would be cautious of moving into an area that's no longer economically viable. Having lived in OH and MI I've lived in a couple of old "rust belt" towns where they are no longer any jobs, and the area is rapidly declining. I'd want to avoid something such as that for issues such as declining property values and increasing crime. Not sure if you see Columbia Falls moving in that direction?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterPearl View Post
We are planning to move to MT in 2013 (possibly 2014), and are fairly certain we want to locate within the Flathead Valley. We'll be leaving on 12/15 on a 2 week trip to look around the area. I was born in MT, but left the state at age 6, my husband has visited MT several times, but neither of us are very knowledgeable on the area. We have been to the Flathead Valley a few times over the past 5 years, but never during the winter season, which is why we wanted to check it out at this time of year.

I'm wondering where would be recommended to live within Flathead County. We'll definitely be renting for the first couple of years, so it's not a concern as far as purchasing a home right away, but I'd like your thoughts on places to check out on our trip. Basically what are the pros/cons of Kalispell vs Whitefish vs Columbia Falls vs other areas in the county?

We're not concerned with employment, as I'm a stay-at-home mom and my husband can work from anywhere, and we also plan to homeschool when our children are school aged so school districts aren't a big concern either. I think what we'd like is to eventually purchase a home in an area that's more "rural suburban" with neighbors around, but more space than your typical suburban 1/4 acre lots. We'd probably like to live on 5 acres in a family friendly community.

Also, I know that climate can vary with just small differences in location. What (if any) are the climate differences between areas within the Flathead Valley (hotter summers, more snow, etc)? I'd appreciate any advise or tips and suggestions as to where we should check out on our upcoming trip.
You are wise to check out the area in the winter. That area is cold and gray for a long time and will be a real shock compared to Florida.

I'm going to be honest, I see very few pros to that part of Montana. Sure, it's pretty, but you can't eat scenery and the cost of living is high and the wages are low. Western Montana is not welcoming of outsiders and it may take you a while to make friends there. Montana is romanticized way too much. Unless you can find a really good job that will make up for what will likely be a pay cut, I would give it a pass unless you know you can make it there. Otherwise come out for a visit.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 PM

629 posts, read 1,720,778 times
I actually go back and forth between Florida and Montana as a working snowbird. Central Florida at the moment until about Memorial Day or so when I'll head back out.

The plant in C. Falls has been closed for a few years now and was in decline before that for awhile (from multiple pot lines down to one pot and finally shutting them all down) so the economic 'hit' has pretty much already worked its way through the town. What you'll see is what you'll get, I don't think there's much more downside to home prices or upside to crime given the current situation so I wouldn't be scared of buying and then seeing things deteriorate. Always a good idea when moving somewhere new to rent for 6 mos or a year when you first arrive just as a hedge though so I'd really recommend doing that.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
You are wise to check out the area in the winter. That area is cold and gray for a long time and will be a real shock compared to Florida.

I'm going to be honest, I see very few pros to that part of Montana. Sure, it's pretty, but you can't eat scenery and the cost of living is high and the wages are low. Western Montana is not welcoming of outsiders and it may take you a while to make friends there. Montana is romanticized way too much. Unless you can find a really good job that will make up for what will likely be a pay cut, I would give it a pass unless you know you can make it there. Otherwise come out for a visit.
I appreciate your feedback. We're not concerned with the cost of living aspect or finding employment though, as my husband will continue with his current work, which he does from a home office, and thus can live anywhere. As for me, I'm a stay-at-home mom, and will be for the foreseeable future. From what we've seen of real estate in the Flathead Valley it looks to be less expensive than the area we currently live, so that should work in our favor financially.

I agree with you though, it will be a huge adjustment compared to FL. I love snow and the winter season, and have never been much of a summer person. Personally, I even find our winters here in FL to be uncomfortable warm. I've previously lived in MT, Alaska, and the upper peninsula of MI, so I do know a bit about winter. In the UP we got about 200in. of snow/year.

If I may ask, in what ways is Western MT not welcoming of outsiders? Openly hostile, or just unfriendly? To be honest, I'd feel like a bit of an "outsider" anywhere I could live, as I've lived in 5 states during my lifetime, and don't consider any to truly be "home". I'm a native Montanan, though I only lived there for my first 6 years of life. Would that make any difference in my being considered an "outsider"?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
I actually go back and forth between Florida and Montana as a working snowbird. Central Florida at the moment until about Memorial Day or so when I'll head back out.

The plant in C. Falls has been closed for a few years now and was in decline before that for awhile (from multiple pot lines down to one pot and finally shutting them all down) so the economic 'hit' has pretty much already worked its way through the town. What you'll see is what you'll get, I don't think there's much more downside to home prices or upside to crime given the current situation so I wouldn't be scared of buying and then seeing things deteriorate. Always a good idea when moving somewhere new to rent for 6 mos or a year when you first arrive just as a hedge though so I'd really recommend doing that.
Thank you for the info. And yes, we're definitely planning to rent for a year or two. We're wanting to narrow down were we may want to eventually be though, so that we can try to rent in the area in which we may later desire to have a home so that we can get a better feel for the area first.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterPearl View Post

If I may ask, in what ways is Western MT not welcoming of outsiders? Openly hostile, or just unfriendly? To be honest, I'd feel like a bit of an "outsider" anywhere I could live, as I've lived in 5 states during my lifetime, and don't consider any to truly be "home". I'm a native Montanan, though I only lived there for my first 6 years of life. Would that make any difference in my being considered an "outsider"?

Most Montanans are very welcoming, including the Bitterroot, but the Bitterroot is much more touristy than most of the rest of the state, has a more commercial feel as there are a lot of folks there that will buy a piece of land, put a mcmansion on it, then try to make their fortune by selling it at a 500% markup. More hustlers over there, the pace of life is somewhat faster than in other parts of the state.

Usually, the only people that have trouble fitting in are those that come and ignore what the locals have to say, or how things are done, and try to force people to conform to what the newby believes is the "true" path to happiness according to them which usually involves more regulation or closing down access roads or a myriad of other things that fall under the catagory, "We did it this way back in XXXXXX and it was so much better than the way you unenlightend hicks do it".

If you are family oriented, hard working, respectful of others and their views, you should have no problems at all.

The best way to get along and be accepted in Montana is to embrace it and enjoy what is here. Those with an ax to grind and are constantly bellyaching about how backward the state is do have a difficult time fitting in.

Folks are folks, they may not run up to you with a cake and a welcome wagon package when you come, but once they see you actually are interested in the place and want to be part of the community, there should be absolutely no problems.

Usually the only folks that do have problems are the ones that bring them with them. Those folks usually have problems fitting in anywhere, but it is always Montana's fault, not their own.

I doubt you would have any problems at all. The vast majority of people who come here don't or there wouldn't be so many people from other places living here.

Good Luck

Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,526,149 times
When you move to a new small town one of the ways you get acquainted is through your children's school. If you are going to homeschool you should see what homeschool groups are in area and make some early contacts.

Fyi-Columbia Falls public system has a good reputation.

Columbia Falls is blue collar area & Whitefish is resort area & Kalispell is commercial center. Go rent for awhile and see which you prefer. You may decide other areas in Montana fit your requirements. Being able to work from anywhere with good internet connections gives you many options.

I personally prefer Big Fork & love it in the summer but would not wish to live anywhere in that area in the winter. The closer to lake the grayer winter days are. I personally need lots of sunshine in the winter.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
When you move to a new small town one of the ways you get acquainted is through your children's school. If you are going to homeschool you should see what homeschool groups are in area and make some early contacts..
That's an excellent point, and we will definitely do that. We have already decided on a church congregation in Kalispell, and will be attending services there during our trip later this month. I know there are many homeschoolers in the congregation. Hopefully, we'll be able to make some acquaintances while there. Either way, it'll be a few years yet until our children will be school aged (have a 10 month old and one on the way), so we'd need other sources of meeting people even if we'd decided to utilize public schools. Thank you for your feedback. Looking very much forward to our upcoming trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana