Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,988 times

Advertisements

I am just looking for some thoughts or ideas. My boyfriend and I are looking at going to yellowstone and because of both of our jobs it looks like we won't be able to get there till the last week of September. I know it will be a bit on the cooler side but I am wondering if it will still be fun to go there or if everything will be closed? If we do go, is there any places that are recommended? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Good time to go, if there are any elk they will be in rut so you can hear the bugling, the bears are more active trying to fatten up before winter.

Lot less traffic, more opportunity for rooms, most everything is still going, some concessions may be closed or on a more limited availability, but most of them are still open.

I much prefer going off season to Yellowstone

Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM

297 posts, read 795,059 times
Off-season is a great time for Yellowstone -- less traffic, less crowding. However, as MTSilvertip said, many/most concessions will be closed yet if you plan ahead that shouldn't be a problem. The weather is very unpredictable and you could very well see snow in late September... or it might be warm & sunny. You just can't tell!

One place outside the park I always recommend is Chico Hot Springs, north of YNP in the Paradise Valley.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Fall is a lovely time to visit the park. We spend a week in West Yellowstone every October with day trips into the park. It sometimes snows but the park is best experienced from getting out on the trails.

Cody is a nice addition to a Yellowstone visit. The museums there are worth the side trip. Or if you are into dinosaurs go up the Gallatin canyon and take a day for Bozeman and the Museum of the Rockies.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:34 PM

93 posts, read 169,695 times
September is the PERFECT time to visit Yellowstone! Most tourists have gone home, and the park isn't as crowded. The weather is still nice, most of the snow has melted, and it hasn't started up again yet (er, usually). Plus wildlife getting ready for winter, etc. My favorite time!

Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 AM

14 posts, read 27,880 times
I agree with those that said it's a perfect time to go!! Last year I motorcycled through YNP in early October and it was great (had also done it in July of 2012). The crowds are down, the weather's cooling, and the wildlife is active and on the move. Had no problems with concessions or fuel in the park at all and it's a good time to find lodging in West Yellowstone and other places.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:42 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I went early to mid Sept a few years ago and the parking lots for most of the geysers etc. were about 2/3 full. Traffic was easily manageable. Two of the main lodges, cabins were closed and a few of the concessions.
So for late September I think it would be great, just not a lot of amenities in the park, but that;s pretty easy to deal with.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:48 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,857 times
Great time to go, but keep in mind it can be 70 degrees or you could get snow.

Check out the following opening/closing dates for facilities and lodges in the park. With how large Yellowstone is I prefer to stay inside the park if possible so you don't spend 2-3 hrs a day just driving into and out of the park to get to the areas you want to see.

Facilities' Opening And Closing Dates - Yellowstone National Park

Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
I didn't want to open up a new thread because i have only a very basic question. Okay here we go:

Never been to Montana which probably doesn't come as a surprise to you. Anyway, i wonder what is the most scenic and beautiful part of Montana? The areas in Yellowstone National Park or some really remote and untouched by tourists areas near the Canadian border?

Also, would you say that Montana is the most beautiful state when it comes to that northern nature type? You know rivers, mountains, even a little prairie here and there, lakes, wooden areas etc. At least from pictures i've seen i have that impression. But then i guess it's kinda hard to tell which would be the most scenic state because Wyoming etc. looks pretty nice too to say the least!

Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 PM

19,774 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Scenic is totally what you think it is.

Yellowstone is incredible (of course) and the Beartooth Highway is breathtaking. Then there is Going to the Sun road in Glacier, and all those craggy peaks... Oh man it takes my breath away up there. Every time.

But there is also a heck of a lot of beautiful scenery out east, where the curve of the earth can be seen from the windshield of your car. Wildflowers everywhere in May, miles of nothing but green and open land...

Montana has a lot to offer that a lot of other states can't. Less populated than Colorado, more diverse than Wyoming.. It's a great state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana