Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 12:09 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times

Advertisements

We were discussing NFL team fan bases in another thread, and I got to wondering about this. What team do you guys support/see supported the most? Does it vary by region?

My guesses were that the western half, especially northwest, would support the Seattle Seahawks, and the eastern half, particularly the southeast, would support the Denver Broncos.

If Portland had a team, do you think Montana's population would support them more than other teams?

This is just out of curiosity. Thanks in advance for any answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 12:18 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
1/2 the state supports the MSU Bobcats, Half support the U of M Grizzlies.

As to the pro stuff, most of the people I know and hang around don't pay any attention outside of the party on Superbowl weekend.
That said, the team name I hear most often in passing is the steelers or 49ers.

As for me, I haven't even seen a pro game on TV in probably 30 years, and it has been at least 15 since I saw the superbowl.
I thought it might be worth watching again after the Janet Jackson thing, but that idea went away pretty fast

Most people here really get into the high school stuff and won't miss a home game for their local team. As much as I dislike football, I still attended a game that my nephew played last year, and I have to drive 150 miles each way to get to the town he lives in.

I know some folks really like that stuff, but most of my friends are too busy hunting or fishing or snowmobiling or skiing or horsback riding, camping, hiking, ice fishing etc. etc. etc. and enjoying life to waste a day sitting in front of the tube watching sports when they could be participating instead.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
1/2 the state supports the MSU Bobcats, Half support the U of M Grizzlies.

As to the pro stuff, most of the people I know and hang around don't pay any attention outside of the party on Superbowl weekend.
That said, the team name I hear most often in passing is the steelers or 49ers.

As for me, I haven't even seen a pro game on TV in probably 30 years, and it has been at least 15 since I saw the superbowl.
I thought it might be worth watching again after the Janet Jackson thing, but that idea went away pretty fast

Most people here really get into the high school stuff and won't miss a home game for their local team. As much as I dislike football, I still attended a game that my nephew played last year, and I have to drive 150 miles each way to get to the town he lives in.

I know some folks really like that stuff, but most of my friends are too busy hunting or fishing or snowmobiling or skiing or horsback riding, camping, hiking, ice fishing etc. etc. etc. and enjoying life to waste a day sitting in front of the tube watching sports when they could be participating instead.
Is your claim that Montana is NFL fan-free then? I wasn't asking about the opinion of the average guy from Montana, I was asking what team the average NFL fan living in Montana supports....

Steelers and 49'ers kinda surprise me, Steelers more than the 49'ers, but both teams are extremely far away. Minnesota, KC, Cleveland, Chicago, etc... are all closer than Pittsburgh on the eastern side.

I appreciate your input, but I don't understand the necessity of the tongue in cheek bashing of NFL fans...

Old 08-01-2014, 08:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I guess I am confused. What were you asking, if it wasn't other folks opinions. You got an answer and because you don't like it,, it is not valid?

I too don't know anybody that follows any NFL teams.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:47 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Based on people I've known from there, you can draw a line more or less down I-15 and go Seahawks west and Broncos east. Vikings may even have an influence in the east.

Same for baseball with Mariners/Rockies/Twins.

I don't think Portland would be a consideration here. The Trailblazers aren't followed outside of Oregon or the PDX WA suburbs (even if the Sonics are gone), same would probably ring true if Portland gets teams in other sports.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I guess I am confused. What were you asking, if it wasn't other folks opinions. You got an answer and because you don't like it,, it is not valid?

I too don't know anybody that follows any NFL teams.
Uh, I never said it wasn't valid....

When I said I "wasn't asking about the opinion of the average person from Montana, but the preference of NFL fans in Montana". I was not saying I didn't want the posters opinion, just that I wasn't interested in whether or not the average Montana resident is an NFL fan, but that I wanted to know the team preference of the NFL fans in the state...

Sorry if my verbiage was confusing, I was not trying to dismiss his answer at all.... (maybe the tongue in cheek bashing of NFL fans, but not his opinion on what teams are more popular) I was just trying to clarify the question I was asking in the OP.

I don't get the hostility...

Old 08-01-2014, 09:34 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Uh, I never said it wasn't valid....

When I said I "wasn't asking about the opinion of the average person from Montana, but the preference of NFL fans in Montana". I was not saying I didn't want the posters opinion, just that I wasn't interested in whether or not the average Montana resident is an NFL fan, but that I wanted to know the team preference of the NFL fans in the state...

Sorry if my verbiage was confusing, I was not trying to dismiss his answer at all.... (maybe the tongue in cheek bashing of NFL fans, but not his opinion on what teams are more popular) I was just trying to clarify the question I was asking in the OP.

I don't get the hostility...
I am far from hostile, really. Very few people follow pro sports, is all. For instance, I haven't watched a football game on the TV, since I was in the service and then, only because the crew had it on. We're talking mid 70's. If nobody I know follows football, how could u evaluate what teams are followed. Like MtSilvertip, my friends are into hiking, 4 wheeling, camping, hunting, fishing, etc and spend all of their free time pursuing those types of things. The county Sheriff fly's a flag out front of his house in support of his favorite team but the problem is it is a different flag almost every week. He lives just two blocks away and I don't think I've seen the same flag twice. With no pro teams close by, you just don't see it.

Now, if you want to talk high school ball, or American Legion baseball teams, you will find standing room only. Our highschool has astro turf and huge grandstands, huge electronic scoreboard and two full time employees working on it every day. Our highschool has a practice field, they dont even practice on the game field. Support of the local high schools is unbelievable.

Just not pro ball, its not a big deal. So no, most folks can't give much input on what pro teams are followed.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:21 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
It's pretty much Seahawks and Bronco's.. It all depends on what channel you get, really. My neighbor is a die hard Green Bay Fan, I'm a Redskin fan, most everyone else is a Seahawks or Bronco fan.

Hope this answers your question.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the input guys, It was pretty much what I expected, thanks for the confirmation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana