Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 04:42 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times

Advertisements

Anyone know where a friend of mine may relocate as he's older & wants to retire, & I'm taking it upon me to ask just in case I'd also someday (as I age) be interested in it. We both like hockey & the Canadian leagues aren't far, & thus it'd be a good fit to really experience the Canadian west while still USA-bound. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 08:01 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Anyone know where a friend of mine may relocate as he's older & wants to retire, & I'm taking it upon me to ask just in case I'd also someday (as I age) be interested in it. We both like hockey & the Canadian leagues aren't far, & thus it'd be a good fit to really experience the Canadian west while still USA-bound. Thx.
Eureka is a magnificantly beautiful area, and there should be a lot of rentals as there are absolutely no jobs in the area since the sawmills closed down.

There can be a lot of snow and grey days over there, and it's a ways from services.

The whole northern border of Montana butts up against Canada, in fact some of our hocky teams play Alberta teams like Medicine Hat.

Depending on your friends health and ability to negotiate icy, snow packed roads and their level of self sufficency, you may wish to look on the east side of the divide, Havre or Great Falls for instance that have better facilities.

Libby may be another option as it's closer to Kalispell in that region, or maybe Troy. Libby did have problems with vermiculite, but they seem to have a pretty good handle on it now.

The folks on the west side of the divide and up in that area are great, I really like them and that area, but bring your own income as there isn't much of anything in that area for jobs.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:23 PM

His health is ok as of now, & I'd consider moving up to as I really miss snow, 4 seasons, hockey, etc. Only driving would need adjustment again -- as snow & I haven't been together in over 15 yrs, yikes, that is a long time, eh? Haha.

Medicine Hat, as in WHL's Tigers, I guess would be cool to see games -- as would any WHL games in Canada too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Eureka is a magnificantly beautiful area, and there should be a lot of rentals as there are absolutely no jobs in the area since the sawmills closed down.

There can be a lot of snow and grey days over there, and it's a ways from services.

The whole northern border of Montana butts up against Canada, in fact some of our hocky teams play Alberta teams like Medicine Hat.

Depending on your friends health and ability to negotiate icy, snow packed roads and their level of self sufficency, you may wish to look on the east side of the divide, Havre or Great Falls for instance that have better facilities.

Libby may be another option as it's closer to Kalispell in that region, or maybe Troy. Libby did have problems with vermiculite, but they seem to have a pretty good handle on it now.

The folks on the west side of the divide and up in that area are great, I really like them and that area, but bring your own income as there isn't much of anything in that area for jobs.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:32 PM

My roommate has decided most likely against moving up north from here, but my g/f & I have been too looking into it for possibly sometime later this yr. The issue is that there are several options, when we do actually relocate, & all have so many pros/cons. But among them is cost of living & weather, etc.

I was thinking that Troy, Libby or Eureka would all be desireable locations but unsure what makes one differ from another? I told my roommate that the summers would be gorgeous, & though winter is harsh vs his home in AZ's weather, it'd be nice to see 4 seasons again. Ok, anyone in any of those 3 towns w/ any feedback either way, would be a welcome bit of advice.

PS - I favor visiting wineries too, as an aside, & unsure if any can be found nearby any of those locales? I would eventually like to go up to Canada too to see it (we've never been to western Canada, only the eastern provinces for visits long ago as kids) but 1st things 1st -- as we're not even settled on a place yet -- let alone travel from said place, haha.

I guess we're in decision-making stage, & all advice is surely helpful & taken into consideration.

Thanks again very much to all.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:48 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times
Four seasons?! I don't remember there being much in the way of four seasons up there...

Old 01-26-2015, 09:59 PM

Well compared to southern AZ it does. We have summer & more summer. Our fall is still hot & our winter is about a few wks long. Then comes 2 days of spring, & the 100 degree days for like 4-5 months w/ a few 90s days. It isn't fun having that much sun, heat & a/c bills.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:01 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
There are definately 4 seasons, Winter, Deep mud, Road construction/Fire season, Garden killing frost/First snowfalls.
Some may substitute Tourist Season instead of Road Construction/Fire season, but they occupy the same months of the year.

There are several winery's in the Flathead and Bitterroot. Don't drink the stuff myself so I can't tell you if it's good or not.

Personally, I love the area around Thompson Falls and Troy. Dark timber forests, lots of water, glacier carved mountain peaks, lots of wildlife, (including Grizzly so be careful hiking), great fishing, good people, its a very nice place, but no jobs, so bring your own or you probably won't find one.

It can be pretty remote up there when the snows come and travel gets dangerous, lots of the stores close down after the tourists leave so winters can be pretty quiet.

Still, it's an area I've often thought of retiring to, and I visit over there at least once a year before the tourists come for a nice short vacation of fishing and exploring.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:09 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Out of those three choices, I would pick Eureka.

If you require employment, secure it prior to moving. I would be surprised if there were any jobs available in any of those towns. And if there were, they would be minimum wage ones perhaps only part time. Even in towns with lower real estate prices, like these, the other costs involved in living in Montana are considerably higher than Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana