Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 11:09 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times

Advertisements

And can we compare the differences in living in an interstate highway town or city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 03:23 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Wyoming has a sales tax, and no state income tax.
Montana has a state income tax, and no statewide sales tax. If such a tax is ever implemented, it is limited by the Constitution to 4%. Some communities have a "Resort Tax", which is, of course, a sales tax.
Montana has three freeways; I-15 North and South; I-90 East and West; and I-94 also East and West.
There are many towns and cities along those freeways. Since they follow the routes of old U.S. Highways, that makes sense. I-90, for instance, used to be U.S. 10.
Some of the towns were bypassed by the freeways, and feared the loss of tourist dollars. While that may have been a valid concern, it didn't hold true for very long, IMO. Tourists who need a place to stop will stop even if they have to leave the freeway!
I have lived in Montana near the freeway, and a long way away from the freeway. I didn't notice any great difference in lifestyle.
Both states have a big percentage of state and Federal lands. IIRC, Wyoming has a slightly larger percentage of total land area owned by the state and Federal government than does Montana. It is worthy of note that much of that land has no power lines and no water, and sometimes no access except by helicopter. Some private land is the same way. I have seen 20 and 40 acre parcels for sale for very low prices. When you see where the land is, you immediately understand the low price!

Old 08-15-2019, 03:43 PM

343 posts, read 352,731 times
I agree with tax statement above.

As for other stuff: Montana has a more diverse economy with a wider array of industries, Wyoming on the average pays more for all it's available comparative jobs.

Montana has more diverse landscape, wyoming is more lonely (fewer people)

Montana is a touch more progressive on average, Wyoming is a distinctly more cowboy ranch small town wild west flavor.

I've lived near interstates and far from them. Never really noticed a difference, save a slight difference in subtle continuous traffic noise.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:34 PM

What about car registration fees? Home and car insurance?

Old 08-16-2019, 04:31 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Car registration is high in both states, however on new vehicles MT gives you a break the first year. WY has a 4% sale tax not collected by dealers, and 1.5% advalorem tax based on MSRP, less delivery charges. This is reduced by 14% every year for eight years until it levels off. In MT - no sales tax, and a break on the first years fee. Second thru eighth year continues to drop until it levels off. It's why you see so many old cars and trucks.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:35 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Car registration is high in both states, however on new vehicles MT gives you a break the first year. WY has a 4% sale tax not collected by dealers, and 1.5% advalorem tax based on MSRP, less delivery charges. This is reduced by 14% every year for eight years until it levels off. In MT - no sales tax, and a break on the first years fee. Second thru eighth year continues to drop until it levels off. It's why you see so many old cars and trucks.
Plus in Montana, if a vehicle is 10 years old or more, you can get a lifetime plate. One fee, then you never have to license it again.

That's the big reason for so many older cars and trucks on the road here.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:05 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
GA had that punitive advalorem tax for decades. They finally got rid of it I think in 2013, where I'd been paying $230/yr on a five year old truck. If I traded it in on a new model the adjusted sales tax is 6.5% instead of both 7% saies tax and advalorem. Renewals are then $20/yr. So I did it. I won't leave now for nothing - no other state around me offers anything better - except cheaper gas.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:04 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Wyoming… no state income tax and property taxes are low. Schools generally perform better as they're well funded.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:34 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Well, Wyoming has been experiencing big shortfalls in education budgets from kindergarten through university. Education is funded through energy production taxes. Coal mining --or lack thereof-- is the issue. Plus oil has been down about 45 or so, but is up around 54 now. When it is under 50, the industry suffers--slows down and less tax revenue comes in. WY energy taxes are different than MT, WY taxes more on the front end.

Wyoming has some veteran preferences tax breaks on property taxes of principal residence . I don't recall if this is state-wide or by county, but it is a nice break.
Many towns are interchangeable MT or WY...Sheridan or Buffalo are just the same as MT Ag towns,, but purchase prices of similar real estate is lower in WY...I do not know about other COL comparisons.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:26 AM

Which state has a worse meth problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana