Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 05:24 AM

1 posts, read 925 times

Advertisements

hi so my husband an I and our 2 kids are planning a move to greatfalls montana. we are a interracial couple hes white and im black and my daughter is also black and our son is mixed. so my question is is it safe to move there is it a racist place to live. we want to raise our kids in a friendly loving place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 06:09 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,593,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatina View Post
hi so my husband an I and our 2 kids are planning a move to greatfalls montana. we are a interracial couple hes white and im black and my daughter is also black and our son is mixed. so my question is is it safe to move there is it a racist place to live. we want to raise our kids in a friendly loving place.
The Air Force Base is there. Lots of different races live there.

It's a very safe place, except for the drivers on Montana Ave.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:40 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,990,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The Air Force Base is there. Lots of different races live there.

It's a very safe place, except for the drivers on Montana Ave.

"Montana Ave."? I lived in GF for several years, on 4th Ave. S., and I don't know where that is. I would be more worried about drivers on Central Ave., N.W.Bypass, or 10th Ave S.
Now, Montana Ave. in Billings can be "interesting" around 0800 and 1700, weekdays.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:46 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,593,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"Montana Ave."? I lived in GF for several years, on 4th Ave. S., and I don't know where that is. I would be more worried about drivers on Central Ave., N.W.Bypass, or 10th Ave S.
Now, Montana Ave. in Billings can be "interesting" around 0800 and 1700, weekdays.
Sorry, 10th is the one I was thinking of, but 4th Ave S has it's excitement too.
Haven't been to Great Falls in a couple of years, but the Montana Ave in both Helena and Billings fit the bill for dangerous drivers too.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:47 AM

343 posts, read 353,965 times
I know an interracial couple that just moved there a couple of years ago from Seattle. husband white, wife black, same dynamic. They were both Seattle Police Officers, now they're both Great Falls Probation and Parole.

They seem to like it. Great Falls is big enough for most bothersome crap to just kind of get lost in the shuffle. You'll be fine there.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:27 PM

590 posts, read 932,980 times
I'm constantly astounded by the number of posts in the Montana and Wyoming forums asking if bi- racial people/ families will be tolerated if they were to move to these states. Here's a news flash: racism, bigotry, and xenophobia is alive and well EVERYWHERE, not just "white states. " California is arguably the most racially diverse state in the union, but it's also one of the most intolerant. My concern with moving to Wyoming or Montana doesn't revolve around my race, I'm more concerned with being accepted as a Californian! Move to where you want to move. Be a good neighbor. A courteous, quiet, clean neighbor goes miles, regardless of race.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:31 PM

145 posts, read 210,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
I'm constantly astounded by the number of posts in the Montana and Wyoming forums asking if bi- racial people/ families will be tolerated if they were to move to these states. Here's a news flash: racism, bigotry, and xenophobia is alive and well EVERYWHERE, not just "white states. " California is arguably the most racially diverse state in the union, but it's also one of the most intolerant. My concern with moving to Wyoming or Montana doesn't revolve around my race, I'm more concerned with being accepted as a Californian! Move to where you want to move. Be a good neighbor. A courteous, quiet, clean neighbor goes miles, regardless of race.
Exactly.

Most of the more "diverse" cities in the US are the most racially divided.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:34 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,376,274 times
You're more likely to freeze to death than have any racial issues. Dress accordingly.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:03 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,977,322 times
I was recently close to buying a house in Great Falls. I found this video walking tour to be helpful. I Would still consider it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnu6H_dxZOM

Old 02-01-2020, 12:10 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,968,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatina View Post
You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana