Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 AM

11 posts, read 28,684 times

Advertisements

Just a question, How do you feel when people want to move into your community and live as you do? Just a family wanting to fit in with what is already in place in your community where the land and mountains are wonderful?Your state is a gift to be taken care, just as your way of life has been for genrations.Are your feelings any different toward these new people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:56 AM

989 posts, read 3,526,814 times
For the record the bison (buffalo) numbers were on the dive before the white man delivered the final blow. Most who study this say the bison were wiped out 50 years earlier than they otherwise would have been if the hide hunters had not done their work. Why were they dying??

1. disease

2. Several years of drought

3. Competition for winter feed

4. Indians became much more effective hunters with guns and horses.

The white man did make the buffalo die off sooner but the old myth about white man taking away the indians way of life by kiilling all the bison is not entirely true.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:55 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,915 times
First off, Kettermn, it's your kind we want here (Wytanaho). I'm kind of a mutt from all over the place (from military family but turned civilian Oregonian and Wyomingite), and I don't care how big a house you build or what sort of car you drive. This is freedomland, and I sacrificed quite a bit of my own freedom for many years to turn around and have folks from California and the east coast gain the political power in my state to tell me that the things I fought for should become outlawed.

Not that I have anything against folks from these areas in general. Many of them come because they want the things that I enjoy and those things that should continue to be enjoyed in this part of the country.

AQHA, as far as the buffalo go, I've been talking about this for years since I heard that the enviro whackos started whining about "bovine emissions". If white man is so bad for supposedly killing off the buffalo, how can it be when killing buffalo curbs their flatulence? We did good, I say!

Old 03-16-2009, 04:41 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post

AQHA, as far as the buffalo go, I've been talking about this for years since I heard that the enviro whackos started whining about "bovine emissions". If white man is so bad for supposedly killing off the buffalo, how can it be when killing buffalo curbs their flatulence? We did good, I say!
So the hide hunters and the agents working for the rail road companies killing buffalo were actually trying to save the environment? Makes sense to me.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:27 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettermn View Post
Just a question, How do you feel when people want to move into your community and live as you do? Just a family wanting to fit in with what is already in place in your community where the land and mountains are wonderful?Your state is a gift to be taken care, just as your way of life has been for genrations.Are your feelings any different toward these new people?
You just gotta quit worrying about what people think or "feel" about you. Just come out when the weather is better and look around. Noone can give you any guaranties. You are only speaking to five or six people from the state here.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 PM

193 posts, read 463,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthuntnow View Post
Unfortunately, society has had some slight fascination with wilderness for the past few decades. The ugly effect that I have seen is shinny SUVs that make my house unaffordable, litter when they do leave pavement, and try to legaly attack my way of life. My family has been in this state for 6 generations and now people move here from other places and try to make it like the place they came from. My question is, when the houses aren't big enough and the SUVs not shinny enough, why not just go back from whence you came? Instead, inner-city people stay here and try to change my local political environment. So, to those imports who feel it is ok to lobby and harrass against hunting: you are tyrants, attacking my way of life. I haven't outlawed $4 coffee (because it's stupid and if you can waste that much then it should just be taken from you as tax) so leave my hunting alone. And, if you happen to walk your dog in an urban recreation area and are abhored that someone can actually archery hunt there just remember that hunting paid for the are in the first place. And, most importantly, hunting is considered a right of Montana citizens. If you do not like it, please leave. Otherwise, any attack on my right to hunt will be considered theft, and an attack upon my families welfare...how would you react if someone attacked your way of life and the welfare of your family.

Great post and I agree. The Montana you love and wish to preserve is the exact Montana we love and the reason we come to visit. And yes I hunt, but I sure don't need a SUV or even an ATV to do it.

Thanks!
Broz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: