Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 10:41 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

There is amazing pork east of the divide in from two Hutterite Colonies. They produce some fine hogs- some of the best I've ever had and they sell to a facility in Idaho.

Midway raises “natural” pork | News | choteauacantha.com

I know the hog barn manager in Choteau and have seen the operation- the feed their hogs no BS and no meds unless they are sick. We've never had better chops than from them. Ever. And I've butchered a lot of hogs in my day.

Produce is trickier. Montana has a distinct lack of fresh produce. I grew up with an Ohio and North Carolina set of parents- so veggies were a mainstay. Potatoes are plentiful here ( and good ), but greens like lettuce, mustard, kale and collards are pretty much unheard of. Root veggies are okay, but not really in abundance.

The local Farmers Market in Helena is pretty disappointing. Mostly artsy craft stuff with a smattering of veggies. We opted to grow our own, and if you find a place with a good microclimate we'd recommend that.

We grow green beans, peas, carrots, beets, parnsips, kale, collards, spinach, squash, tomatillas, tomatoes, corn, bingo beans, cucumbers, strawberries, cabbage, potatoes, onions, radishes and peppers. About enough for half our years worth of veggies.

Fish? On the west side it's mainly trout and trucked in pacific coast catch. We buy a bit of rockfish from a local supplier. Other than that it's catch your own, lol.

Good luck and enjoy the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 04:41 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Depends on where you are. Trout of multiple species are vigorously pursued as our most popular game fish, but there are Northern Pike in the Clark Fork and other waters as nice as anything you find in Canada. We also have Tiger Muskie. The state record was caught in Deadman's Basin in Central Montana. 48 inches long, 30 lbs.

We've got Dolly Varden, Arctic Grayling, River and Blue Catfish, large and smallmouth Bass, Walleye and Mountain Whitefish. We've got Sturgon and Paddlefish too.

You can fish with flies, bait, artificial lures, spring runoff, lakes, rivers streams, or my favorite, Ice Fishing.

There is a significant variety of gamefish on a wide selection of waters. Nothing like packing into a back country lake, catching a native cutthroat trout and cooking it over an open fire at your camp.

There are many different fish here, while trout is most pursued, and probably eaten, there's no shortage of opportunity or variety.
Forgot to add, we also have Kokanee Salmon. They're a landlocked Sockeye that never migrate to the ocean. Only about 3 - 4 lbs at best, but a very tasty fish.

Threerun is correct that the choice of seafood or saltwater fish is limited here, but the nice thing is, the Pacific is a days drive away and the Columbia and Salmon Rivers are much closer for those salmon and Steelhead runs.

I love good seafood and have taken a few trips to the Olympic Peninsula and Astoria. A 4 day trip makes for a nice long weekend of fishing and dining.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Depends on where you are. Trout of multiple species are vigorously pursued as our most popular game fish, but there are Northern Pike in the Clark Fork and other waters as nice as anything you find in Canada. We also have Tiger Muskie. The state record was caught in Deadman's Basin in Central Montana. 48 inches long, 30 lbs.

We've got Dolly Varden, Arctic Grayling, River and Blue Catfish, large and smallmouth Bass, Walleye and Mountain Whitefish. We've got Sturgon and Paddlefish too.

You can fish with flies, bait, artificial lures, spring runoff, lakes, rivers streams, or my favorite, Ice Fishing.

There is a significant variety of gamefish on a wide selection of waters. Nothing like packing into a back country lake, catching a native cutthroat trout and cooking it over an open fire at your camp.

There are many different fish here, while trout is most pursued, and probably eaten, there's no shortage of opportunity or variety.
Forgot to add, we also have Kokanee Salmon. They're a landlocked Sockeye that never migrate to the ocean. Only about 3 - 4 lbs at best, but a very tasty fish.

Threerun is correct that the choice of seafood or saltwater fish is limited here, but the nice thing is, the Pacific is a days drive away and the Columbia and Salmon Rivers are much closer for those salmon and Steelhead runs.

I love good seafood and have taken a few trips to the Olympic Peninsula and Astoria. A 4 day trip makes for a nice long weekend of fishing and dining.

As for greens, not as much of the traditional local diet as back east, but if you like getting your own there are several varieties of wild greens like lambsquarter, wild mustard, stinging nettles, and a lot of others.
Not available in stores, but an evening walk can get you enough greens for several meals in a very short time.

Think of the way rural people in England gathered wild foods from the hedgerows in Victorian and Edwardian times.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:12 AM

I have to laugh about collard greens. Years ago at the Albertsons grocery store on Montana Ave worked a BIG guy who was from Kentucky. He knew I moved to MT from WV- so we'd chat it up a bit when I stopped in.

I happened to be in the store and they had a bunch of fresh collard greens in stock- first time I had ever seen them in Montana. Well I put 1/2 of what was out on display in my cart. I also grabbed some ham hocks and small pork shoulder blade roast. I was in line to check out in the Big KY boys line and this lady behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said "Oh you've got a turtle too?!" I said "Excuse me?"

She said- "Our kids feed their pet turtle those leafs".

The guy from KY burst into laughter! He said "Ma'am- this old boy knows exactly how to fix those into a kings meal!"

I got a chuckle out of it.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:

As for greens, not as much of the traditional local diet as back east, but if you like getting your own there are several varieties of wild greens like lambsquarter, wild mustard, stinging nettles, and a lot of others.
Not available in stores, but an evening walk can get you enough greens for several meals in a very short time.

Think of the way rural people in England gathered wild foods from the hedgerows in Victorian and Edwardian times.
A few years ago the family took a mini-vacation to Seattle. Take away the fact it was Seattle, it was actually a fun time. One of the best things (for me) was going to a raw bar and being able to eat fresh, raw oysters. I think I ate 2 dozen of different oysters.

We also took a cooler along with us and we found a fish market north of downtown owned by a Japanese family. I loaded up on fresh seafood including sushi grade mahi-mahi. The owner and I were chatting and somehow wound up on the topic of wild birds and pheasants. He said next time I'm in town he'd trade a cooler full of seafood for a couple / three dressed pheasants.

I'd make that trade any day!

Old 08-19-2020, 10:01 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
In the first line of my post.

The cherry festival is an amazing event to attend.

Or you can pick the wild Choke Cherries. Make some of the best syrup and jelly you could ever want. Or wine if you like it. There's a Choke Cherry Festival in Lewistown each year. Lots of fun!
Oops!

Old 08-19-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
A few years ago the family took a mini-vacation to Seattle. Take away the fact it was Seattle, it was actually a fun time. One of the best things (for me) was going to a raw bar and being able to eat fresh, raw oysters. I think I ate 2 dozen of different oysters.

We also took a cooler along with us and we found a fish market north of downtown owned by a Japanese family. I loaded up on fresh seafood including sushi grade mahi-mahi. The owner and I were chatting and somehow wound up on the topic of wild birds and pheasants. He said next time I'm in town he'd trade a cooler full of seafood for a couple / three dressed pheasants.

I'd make that trade any day!
Never did like oyster, especially NOT Rocky Mountain Oyster.

I avoid Seattle, but I have a friend in Everett so I'll visit him, but more likely to spend time at Squim. Caught a very nice sea run cutthroat last time I was there.

I just found out a new state record Chinook salmon was just caught in the last few days.

Story:
Greg Hauge, a Bismarck, North Dakota, angler, caught the new Montana state record chinook salmon at Fort Peck Reservoir on Sunday. The fish tipped the scales at 32.05 pounds, was 38 1/8 inches long and 26.5 inches around.2 days ago

That's a nice fish!!!

Old 08-19-2020, 01:10 PM

My retired friend and former co worker has been fishing his panties off. He's caught more walleye than a priest gets confessions. He rubs it in too.

Bastard.

Seattle was actually pretty neat. I let my two kids pick the itinerary. So yeah- there was the 'space needle' or whatever, but they found a Nordic museum in Ballard that was just absolutely fascinating. We originally planned on 2 hours there but wound up staying the entire day. It was incredible.

They also chose a Japanese garden just outside of town- we got lost in that place too. Beautiful.

AND.. In the Queen Anne District there is this beer hall. The owners are eastern European. The bought an old textile factory and converted into the beer hall. The centerpiece of the place is an old, and I mean OLD Pilsner Urquell tap. The food is amazing. We went there for dinner which happened to be right before a Jimmy Buffet concert and the place was packed with aging, stoned parrot-heads. It was funny.

You'd get a kick out of it.

But the only thing on that trip that I demanded was a trip to a raw bar. I grew up eating Chesapeake Bay oysters raw on the half-shell so I'd been waaaay overdue for that indulgence. Personally I would gladly make the 8 hour trip once a year to load up on a cooler full of fresh seafood. Next time I might skip Seattle and just pick another town on the coast. Maybe farther south to Tillamook.

Crap. Now I'm craving an oyster fritter. I may have to don my mask on go on a search for some raw oysters in town.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-19-2020 at 01:39 PM..

Old 08-19-2020, 09:47 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Never did like oyster, especially NOT Rocky Mountain Oyster.
Then I guess you've never been keen on participating in this festival ...We used to see those billboards on Highway 200:
https://www.montanarightnow.com/news...80e4982ff.html

They cancelled it in 2018, anyway. Got too rowdy.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Then I guess you've never been keen on participating in this festival ...We used to see those billboards on Highway 200:
https://www.montanarightnow.com/news...80e4982ff.html

They cancelled it in 2018, anyway. Got too rowdy.
There used to be a lot of those. Basically relied on the gross out factor and the chance to get falling down drunk. Not my kind of party.

I prefer pitchfork fondue, the wild game feed in Ennis or Nordicfest kind of events. Although the Rhubarb Festival in Ulm used to be fantastic. All those homemade goodies and treats....
Makes me hungry thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana