Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times

Advertisements

I wanted to thank everyone for the advice about Montana Ranches but I was wondering how many people in this forum actually live on a ranch? If so, where is it located and how many acres do you have?

Hopefully I'll become a part-time resident within a few years..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 09:54 PM

78 posts, read 743,982 times
Default How do you define a ranch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I wanted to thank everyone for the advice about Montana Ranches but I was wondering how many people in this forum actually live on a ranch? If so, where is it located and how many acres do you have?

Hopefully I'll become a part-time resident within a few years..
It depends how you define a ranch. From my perspective, a Montana ranch is a place where cattle, bison, or other similar animals are raised, crops are raised to feed the livestock, and so on. Some people, including in this forum, define any large amount of property as a ranch (differentiating working ranches). By that definition, those of us living in gorgeous mountains with forest but having a lot of land live on ranches.

I'm curious, though, why you care where people live and how much acreage they have. Throughout Montana you can find small residential lots (in towns, cities) up to ranches that are measured in square miles (not acres).

Old 09-07-2006, 10:06 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
I'm curious, though, why you care where people live and how much acreage they have.
I really don't care, it's just a question. Nothing more nothing less.

Quote:
It depends how you define a ranch. From my perspective, a Montana ranch is a place where cattle, bison, or other similar animals are raised, crops are raised to feed the livestock, and so on. Some people, including in this forum, define any large amount of property as a ranch (differentiating working ranches). By that definition, those of us living in gorgeous mountains with forest but having a lot of land live on ranches.
I grew up on a farm (different from a ranch I'm sure) and my definition of a ranch is a large pacel of land (over 100 acres).

Curiosity got the best of me...

Old 09-08-2006, 03:26 PM

78 posts, read 743,982 times
Default Farm vs. Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I really don't care, it's just a question. Nothing more nothing less.

I grew up on a farm (different from a ranch I'm sure) and my definition of a ranch is a large pacel of land (over 100 acres).

Curiosity got the best of me...
By the way, a farm and a ranch are different entities. Montana does have some farms, and a few farming regions. The state is mainly known, however, for its huge ranches, or in your terms, working ranches.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:07 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times
in montana 100 acres is a "ranchette"

Old 09-11-2006, 05:02 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,769 times
Default ranch size

I grew up in MT on a ranch that was 15,000 acres. Now live in WY on one that is 27,000 acres. We raise cattle and sheep. Also grow feed (hay and grain). I grew up raising cattle only - Dad wouldn't let a sheep on the place!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:36 AM

10 posts, read 35,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
in montana 100 acres is a "ranchette"
I agree. But we always called them "hobbyist ranchers". Or as my Grandpa says "to much bloody money, and a waste of time and good land." although i see that having sub-divided land offers everyone a chance to live a 'montana lifestyle', most of the people living on these small land parcels don't take land management seriously. Its a shame.
I grew up on a spread of 11 sections. We raised 500 head of angus, always had a small herd of horses and usually had a few sheep and goats -my mom thought they were funny-. We raised our own hay and farmed dry land wheat (cert.). It was an amazing way to grow up.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:04 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,245 times
It sounds like a great way to grow up. I grew up on what would be called a hobby farm I guess. We had about every animal you could imagine. Sunday dinners were normally something we raised, or a deer that dad shot.

At my place I have cattle/horses and other animal around my place but its not really big enough to be called a ranch technically. I think I heard once that you have to have 270 acres to be called a ranch. I don't care, its my ranch anyway.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I would define a "Ranch" as a parcel of property that by raising livetock it is self sustaining. In other words, you don't work 5 days a week in town and then go home to your "Ranch". The ranch is the only source of income.

Like mentioned, most in Montana are measured in square miles.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 PM

355 posts, read 1,146,693 times
I live on a postage stamp, but work with two guys. One is my neighbor, has a farm/ranch amounting to about 825 acres. The other is strictly a beef cattle/open range place. They own about 8000 and lease another 27,000. I have a good friend who has a place that covers close to 15,000, all privately owned. Nice place, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana