Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:27 AM

271 posts, read 460,339 times

Advertisements

Hey guys...haven't logged on in awhile although I do occasionally still read posts. I hope all of you are doing well. I was ordering something online yesterday and saw a coffee mug that had a steer skull logo on it with the numbers 3-7-77 across the forehead. I Googled it and found a lot of conflicting theories about the actual origins of those numbers. Anybody got any information they can share about the numbers and their origins? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Nobody knows the exact meaning of the numbers 3-7-77. It started as a symbol of the Vigilantes that took control back from the outlaw gang, the Innocents, (their password was "I am Innocent") led by a crooked sheriff, Henry Plumber.
The gang operated in the gold camps of Virginial City, Nevada City and Bannock among others in the 1860s.

The Vigilantes hung several of the gang including "Club Foot" George Ives whose crippled foot is still on display in the Virginia City Museum.

The most common reference I have heard is that the numbers are the dimensions of a grave,
3 Feet wide
7 feet deep
77 inches long.

The numbers are still displayed on numerous law enforement patches around the state of Montana.

Plumber himself was hung in Bannock, and according to legend, left a large stash of gold within a short distance of the town.
Who knows....

Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,841 times
Here's a couple links on 3-7-77.
3-7-77 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a better one:

Montana Vigilantes and the Origins for 3-7-77 (http://travel.state.mt.us/history/Montana_the_Magazine_of_Western_History/montanavigilantes1.htm - broken link)

Old 04-21-2010, 12:25 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default 3-7-77

From the Montana Heritage Project, here's a new explanation for a very old mystery: What did the secret numbers of the Montana Vigilantes, 3-7-77, mean?

Old 04-21-2010, 03:28 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
The only people who know are long dead.
It is interesting that the first meniton of the numbers seems to have been long after the Vigilante era, yet the connection to the Vigilantes is still bandied about!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 PM

271 posts, read 460,339 times
Thanks for the links guys. Interesting reading! I had not heard of 3-7-77 before and was just curious about the history.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:16 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
From the Montana Heritage Project, here's a new explanation for a very old mystery: What did the secret numbers of the Montana Vigilantes, 3-7-77, mean?
One suspects the newer the explantion, the more straws it had to grasp at..

But I see this outfit is doing an oral history project -- looks like a great project for students, and a good way to preserve the fast-dying memories from yesteryear.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 AM

216 posts, read 641,255 times
Thanks for the great read.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:48 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Nobody knows the exact meaning of the numbers 3-7-77. It started as a symbol of the Vigilantes that took control back from the outlaw gang, the Innocents, (their password was "I am Innocent") led by a crooked sheriff, Henry Plumber.
The gang operated in the gold camps of Virginial City, Nevada City and Bannock among others in the 1860s.

The Vigilantes hung several of the gang including "Club Foot" George Ives whose crippled foot is still on display in the Virginia City Museum.

The most common reference I have heard is that the numbers are the dimensions of a grave,
3 Feet wide
7 feet deep
77 inches long.

The numbers are still displayed on numerous law enforement patches around the state of Montana.

Plumber himself was hung in Bannock, and according to legend, left a large stash of gold within a short distance of the town.
Who knows....
Ever read "Bloody Bozeman" ? It was written referenced from actual journals of those who traveled through this territory in that time period in search of gold. A good chunk of it is about the Vigilantes.....

I thought he numbers to be the dimensions of a grave too....

Old 04-27-2010, 03:19 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
I have read the Bloody Bozeman, in fact the ranch I grew up on had some of the Yellowstone Trail scouted by Jim Bridger going across part of it.

The Bozeman Trail was about a mile and a half south.

I grew up on stories of when the wagons went through that part of the country. My Grandmother went on the Oregon Trail out to the coast and back following the Oregon trail from south pass in Wyoming.

The book is an excellent read and you can still see some of the landmarks listed in the journals.

In fact, there is a monument to John Bozeman in Livingston that says he was killed by indians not far from that marker.

A Trip from Livingston to Bozeman and down to Ennis will take you along trails scouted by Lewis and Clark and later followed by Bridger, Coulter, Hugh Glass and many others.

Coulters run was just outside Three Forks, and Manuel Lisa built 2 fur trading forts there that were burnt by the Blackfoot.

After that run John Coulter ended up in Yellowstone park and his description of it with it's mud pots and geysers are the reason it was called Coulters Hell. Most folks at that time thought it was a figment of a delerious mind.

It is a really rich area for history.

The Bozeman Trail, or Bonanza trail brought a lot of miners to the area of Virginia City, Nevada City, Bannock, Helena and Butte.
The settlers tended to come up the Yellowstone trail as it wasn't as hard on the animals even though the Bozeman was quicker.

Walk in the steps of those great pioneers, it can be humbling to think of what they went through settling this country.

Well worth a couple days of exploring if you have the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana