Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
During the housing boom from 2002-2007, I had high hopes for that entire area. As housing costs skyrocketed in the San Jose area, more and more people were willing to make that commute, which was propping up cities in the Monterey Bay Area. Since then, the housing market has completely tanked and I just don't see it recovering all that much. Yes, it is a lot cheaper than Monterey or Santa Cruz, but there is no industry to support this (agriculture is not exactly expanding rapidly). I don't have a lot of confidence that Marina will recover over the next decade.
The city of Marina has been plagued with a lot of problems that cut off any potential for growth in the latter parts of the 90's.

As a kid growing up in the 80's, I remember a lot of residential development in the outer areas of the city, mostly on the west side of Del Monte Blvd street. Then they built a small shopping center off of Reservation Rd that now has Albertson's and I forget what other chain stores are left there now. Then we saw a new K-Mart store open next to the Locke Paddon Park (or that huge duck pond), but that store closed after the city of Marina failed to follow through with more commercial development around to sustain K-mart (and this was long before K-mart started closing stores due to financial problems in the 2000's). Come to think of it, I think the housing boom really occurred 15 years earlier than 2002.

Before we moved away in 2001, Marina was stuck on development plans for the areas left to them by the closure of the Ft. Ord military base. Now 10 years later, very little progress has been made to truly transform Marina from a bedroom community to a viable city. Now all I see is urban decay. My neighborhood, which was once predominately middle class, is completely different from the one I remember.

I would have expected to see that Marina would be like Monterey, Carmel, and even Seaside to be remain unchanged for the most part after all these years but it looks like Marina threw into the towel and gave up in trying to catch up with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM

314 posts, read 487,418 times
When I think of Marina, I think of all the hotels. Ever year prior to my family's camping trip, we always stay in one of the many hotels out there. If you ever have friends visiting and don't have space, they can stay there. Marina beach is pretty, lots of peaceful sand dunes. There is a Target and big outdoor mall just down the road.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:21 AM

147 posts, read 310,922 times
Any Walmarts in Marina?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:42 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgste View Post
Any Walmarts in Marina?
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County