Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 PM

11 posts, read 21,953 times

Advertisements

Our 24 year old daughter is planning a move to Monterey or the surrounding areas. She works near Salinas on River Road. We are looking for recommendations about areas that might be good choices for a single woman of her age. Any advice is very welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:40 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin2555 View Post
Our 24 year old daughter is planning a move to Monterey or the surrounding areas. She works near Salinas on River Road. We are looking for recommendations about areas that might be good choices for a single woman of her age. Any advice is very welcome. Thanks!
I would say Monterey itself would be best, closer to downtown. That's where more singles hang out and it's close to a lot of restaurants, stores and other things of interest including the beach. If it was my daughter I wouldn't recommend Salinas. Though we do have friends who live there. For a young single girl I would pick another location to live which feels more walkable and safe. Carmel is nice also though very expensive and not as young adult friendly because of costs. Pacific Grove though nice has less young people and is further from her work.

Derek

Old 06-06-2013, 10:41 PM

276 posts, read 773,975 times
Downtown & New Monterey close to Lighthouse would be the best locations.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I would say Monterey itself would be best, closer to downtown. That's where more singles hang out and it's close to a lot of restaurants, stores and other things of interest including the beach. If it was my daughter I wouldn't recommend Salinas. Though we do have friends who live there. For a young single girl I would pick another location to live which feels more walkable and safe. Carmel is nice also though very expensive and not as young adult friendly because of costs. Pacific Grove though nice has less young people and is further from her work.

Derek
I agree. She would be probably just as safe in South Salinas, which is where my daughter lived for several years. She bought a house there and worked in Monterey. She was in her late 20's early 30's when she lived there. It's the only area in Salinas I would recommend she live.

But, she felt really isolated as far as her social life went. Her friends were all in Monterey or Pacific Grove, and they did their socializing/partying in Monterey. So, she'd have to stay the night, as taking a cab to and from Salinas would have been insanely expensive.

There a lot of fun pubs in downtown Monterey, and it's so walkable, etc. I suggest she live in Monterey and commute to Salinas. My daughter did the opposite, and she was unhappy, though it was the only way she could afford to buy a house in the area.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 AM

First, I apologize for taking so long to thank you for your thoughtful input. I'm not sure where almost two months went but I guess that is the stuff of life these days. Our daughter has just started to include South Salinas in her search. She came upon a couple of 2 bedroom houses that looked very nice and the neighborhoods looked well kept and safe. Initially, we were opposed to Salinas but the pictures seem to show a better situation than we thought. The first choice house is very near Washington Middle School and Palma High School. The area looks safe to us. Your thoughts? Thanks for any input you can provide!

Old 08-03-2013, 11:10 AM

57 posts, read 214,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin2555 View Post
First, I apologize for taking so long to thank you for your thoughtful input. I'm not sure where almost two months went but I guess that is the stuff of life these days. Our daughter has just started to include South Salinas in her search. She came upon a couple of 2 bedroom houses that looked very nice and the neighborhoods looked well kept and safe. Initially, we were opposed to Salinas but the pictures seem to show a better situation than we thought. The first choice house is very near Washington Middle School and Palma High School. The area looks safe to us. Your thoughts? Thanks for any input you can provide!
That's a decent neighborhood. The only areas I would strictly avoid in South Salinas are around Central Park and Old Town.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Thank you. I looked on a map and those two areas are not all that far from this house. 1/2 - 1 mile away. I hope that isn't too close for comfort. I do appreciate your input very much.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM

211 posts, read 373,140 times
Downtown Monterey..

Im a 25 year old male who lives in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County