Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,013 times

Advertisements

what are the best place, other than Los Angeles and San Francisco for a single senior to live in California where there are more than just retirement things to do - good music, restaurants, interesting, educated liberal people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 07:46 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Big city, Sacramento; smaller city, Palm Springs area.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:05 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Marin County. You might look at San Rafael, or if you want a small town feel: Fairfax or Mill Valley. You'd not only have the local concert venues and clubs, but the whole Bay Area music scene, potentially accessible. Some of the restaurants are nestled in the redwoods. (We have to assume that if you're asking about CA, you can afford to live there.) Otherwise, Santa Cruz has several very good jazz clubs, a variety of restaurants, and several theaters, one of which runs independent films. The main downtown street has homeless issues, but I haven't run into any of that around the rest of downtown, day or night. There are regional redwood parks all around Santa Cruz, beaches, and a university, if you enjoy lectures. Monterey would be another option.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,132,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Big city, Sacramento; smaller city, Palm Springs area.
True, either Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells, Bermuda Dunes, or Sun City Palm Desert (AKA Desert Palms) could work for the OP, as more than half of the general population of all these suburbs still consists of retirees, though the demographics are changing somewhat rapidly.

Assuming that the OP would most likely not be able to afford either Indian Wells or RM (or even Bermuda Dunes), then either PS or Desert Palms could work. Perhaps even nearby Palm Desert, albeit it has more of a younger population than the other areas I mentioned.

The other desert suburbs of La Quinta, Indio, Coachella, Cathedral City, and Desert Hot Springs also all have +55 communities (such as Sonora Wells in north Indio). In fact, pretty much most, if not all, of the Coachella Valley communities have them. The other five suburbs that I just named all have a mostly younger population, too.

However, Indio, Coachella, Cat City, and DHS are usually not highly recommended, but LQ, on the other hand, is. If I were in the OP's shoes, I would not bother much with either DHS or Coachella, but Cat City and Indio aren't all bad either, IMO.

Just wanted to add my own two cents on this, and it may or may not add anything up to this topic.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:32 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
I'm obviously biased, but I'll put my vote in for the place in California where I live in: San Diego County.

Since I retired two years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven't found something interesting to do within a short drive from my house, from visiting museums and taking classes at our local universities to hiking in the desert or strolling on the beach. Lots of fun events nearly every weekend too, from Fleet Week to the Blues Festival. Great hospitals and doctors as well, and, if you prefer a "retirement community" we have some very nice ones. Oh, and just about perfect weather - it's pretty much always sunny and warm.

Of course, much depends on one's budget and lifestyle, but for this retiree, San Diego County is heaven.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:36 PM

357 posts, read 285,016 times
educated and liberal? that's a bit of an oxymoron.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:44 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
(moved to main California forum since the areas suggested are so wide-ranging)
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 12-04-2018, 11:23 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
The best place to retire is one that you've investigated and come to like/appreciate for the personal list of priorities that matter to you. Everyone's likes, dislikes, priorities and budget are different. That's what's going to make the decision. When my mom was independent that place was Merced. Many would say "Ewww, San Joaquin Valley!", but it was familiar, manageable sized, has low housing costs, has a good senior center and lunch program, good shopping and is two hours from Monterey, Santa Cruz and Yosemite and an hour from the Gold Country. She loved it.

While I know such a place wouldn't be for you the point is you need to just get out there and do some legwork/homework. For someone with your list of wants a college town might fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California