Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 AM

15 posts, read 38,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Those areas i suggested are some good areas that have easy and diverse ways to get downtown,where many kids go to many schools, and you can actually get by with no car at all if you so choose.Laval??you gotta see it before you buy a house there.
However until you know where you are working giving advice on where to live is missing a major piece of the puzzle...
Thank you for additional information jambo. We're already doing some research around the places you suggested. Thanks!

Quote:
Congratulations by the way on your acceptance into Canada,not an easy task for many..

Thank you! Yes, it's been a long road, but it seems we're getting closer now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Laval is actually a very family-friendly place, especially if you have a car. This is true of most suburbs of Montreal. Although the city itself is not unfriendly to families either, contrary to what some people might say.
Thank you for the comments Acajack. Yes, that's what we heard about Laval, that it was a family-friendly place. We're planning to do a "recognition trip", so Laval and the other suggestions we've received will be in the agenda.

Thanks again!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
http://johomaps.com/na/canada/quebec.../montreal1.jpg

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 06-10-2011 at 08:50 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 02:37 PM

83 posts, read 280,951 times
I'm going to assume your English is better than your French. I would suggest something in the West Island, minus Senneville and DDO. Something near the aiport(Dorval) or possibly Pointe-Claire. You're not far from the city, it's a safe area, you have access to public transportation, and it's fairly easy to get around.

As an immigrant, you're also entitled to free French lessons from the Québécois government. You already have your confirmation letter, so I would strongly recommend attending the lessons the government provides. It will help you become more familiar with the language and culture. Best of luck.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Dorval is better than Pointe-Claire because it's closer tot he city, and the whole West Island is family friendly suburbia. Beware traffic though, those cities are on highway twenty which is a very congestion prone highway.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:06 PM

Thank you for the map jambo! It helps getting an idea of the places you've mentioned.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'm going to assume your English is better than your French. I would suggest something in the West Island, minus Senneville and DDO. Something near the aiport(Dorval) or possibly Pointe-Claire. You're not far from the city, it's a safe area, you have access to public transportation, and it's fairly easy to get around.

As an immigrant, you're also entitled to free French lessons from the Québécois government. You already have your confirmation letter, so I would strongly recommend attending the lessons the government provides. It will help you become more familiar with the language and culture. Best of luck.

You're correct Mad Max, our English is better than our French. Thank you for the Dorval and Pointe-Claire suggestions. We're adding those into our research.

Regarding the French lessons, you're right. We can take French lessons in the approved institutions and once in Québec we can ask for a refund. There also some on-line resources available. The idea is to improve our language skills as much as possible prior to the arrival.

Thank you so much for your help!

Old 06-10-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Dorval is better than Pointe-Claire because it's closer tot he city, and the whole West Island is family friendly suburbia. Beware traffic though, those cities are on highway twenty which is a very congestion prone highway.
Thank you for the comments BIMBAM. We would like a place with little traffic problems (we're trying to run from that in our city now).

I've seen some job posts at Bombardier, located in Dorval. Can anybody give a comment about working there? I've seen some reviews and comments from former employees, and it seems to be a good place, very large though, with all the cons implied with a company that size. My professional experience has been in large corporate companies, so I'm familiar with that environment, but each case is different.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calabaza View Post
Thank you for the comments BIMBAM. We would like a place with little traffic problems (we're trying to run from that in our city now).

I've seen some job posts at Bombardier, located in Dorval. Can anybody give a comment about working there? I've seen some reviews and comments from former employees, and it seems to be a good place, very large though, with all the cons implied with a company that size. My professional experience has been in large corporate companies, so I'm familiar with that environment, but each case is different.
A West Island suburb that's less traffic prone is Dollard des Ormeaux because its highway 40 is less congestion prone due to its larger size, and it'd be easier to get to bombardier from there, like 10 minutes maybe. I've known people who worked at Bombardier and they've all been happy with the company. Can't say the same for Air Canada, the other big employer in that general industry by the airport. I think you'll find there's alot of great small companies around Dorval that have to do with aviation.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
A West Island suburb that's less traffic prone is Dollard des Ormeaux because its highway 40 is less congestion prone due to its larger size, and it'd be easier to get to bombardier from there, like 10 minutes maybe. I've known people who worked at Bombardier and they've all been happy with the company. Can't say the same for Air Canada, the other big employer in that general industry by the airport. I think you'll find there's alot of great small companies around Dorval that have to do with aviation.
Thanks again for your comments BIMBAM. They have been really helpful. I was reviewing some job offers at Air Canada, good to know what you mention, just in case. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal