Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times

Advertisements

Since we're traveling to Montreal in mid October, we thought we'd take the Amtrack Adirondack from Penn Station to Montreal. Has anyone taken this? What did you think?

We like trains (although I'm not sure an 11 hour trip will be fun). It might be a pretty way to see the leaves, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 11:57 AM

133 posts, read 330,943 times
I've not taken it myself, but I know people who have. The train will end right by the Queen Elizabeth hotel downtown.

Train schedules and searches at the border can cause delays, so I will warn you about that. However, like you stated, the scenery can be beautiful. If you have the time, and don't mind the 10 -12 hour trip (including possible delays and a 2+ hour stop at the border), then go for it. I know the prices were very reasonable.

I actually replied in a thread not too long ago, that mentioned Amtrak. I posted the original thread below.
Travel from Montreal to Vermont/upstate NY

I sincerely hope this helps.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:44 PM

161 posts, read 521,009 times
I took the train from Montreal to NYC a few months ago. I loved it! But I have a pretty high tolerance for long drives. The scenery was beautiful. The only part that sucked - but it *really* sucked was being delayed at the Canada-US border for close to three hours. I'm sure that wait time was atypical, but even if you're only held up for an hour - Well, crossing the border in a bus or a car is much less of a hassle, in my experience.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:54 PM

Is the border delay included in their trip estimate, or should I add another 2 hours to the arrival time?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:56 PM

Also, is the Queen Elizabeth a nice hotel? If it's right next to the train station it might be smart to stay there.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,750,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Is the border delay included in their trip estimate, or should I add another 2 hours to the arrival time?
Amtrak generally includes the anticipated border clearance time in their scheduled times of arrival.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Also, is the Queen Elizabeth a nice hotel? If it's right next to the train station it might be smart to stay there.
That hotel is right on top of the station so no need to even go outside,it might be a wee bit expensive..Its also famous for being the hotel John Lennon and Yoko Ono had their sleep in for peace..http://anangloinquebec.blogspot.com/...-montreal.html
I did that train ride some years ago and dont remember much in the way of scenery as for most of the trip it was nightime.and i spent most of the trip in the bar car

Old 08-09-2011, 04:39 PM

415 posts, read 560,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coaster View Post
I took the train from Montreal to NYC a few months ago. I loved it! But I have a pretty high tolerance for long drives. The scenery was beautiful. The only part that sucked - but it *really* sucked was being delayed at the Canada-US border for close to three hours. I'm sure that wait time was atypical, but even if you're only held up for an hour - Well, crossing the border in a bus or a car is much less of a hassle, in my experience.
I mentioned this in another thread in this same sub-forum, but I don't understand why there is no pre-clearance of US customs in the Montreal station prior to boarding the train, as there is in Vancouver. Both are only a short distance (Montreal - 40 miles, Vancouver -30) from the US border with no stops (correct me if I'm wrong in Montreal's case) between the Montreal or Vancouver station and the border.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonBob View Post
I mentioned this in another thread in this same sub-forum, but I don't understand why there is no pre-clearance of US customs in the Montreal station prior to boarding the train, as there is in Vancouver. Both are only a short distance (Montreal - 40 miles, Vancouver -30) from the US border with no stops (correct me if I'm wrong in Montreal's case) between the Montreal or Vancouver station and the border.
That would make much more sense. We've decided against taking the train because of this reason. A two hour stop for something like this would be such a drag, it would spoil the whole day. I love taking trains but I'm not willing to tolerate that sort of thing. It's a shame they have to do it that way.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 AM

123 posts, read 332,554 times
We took train while coming from NY in June . At border we had to wait roughly an hour plus. But we didnt have to get down or take our baggage to customs. So overall it was pleasant.

Does anyone has any experience with Gray-hound bus? It take roughly 7 hours or so. How is that possible including waiting at border?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal