Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 AM

5 posts, read 68,539 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am in New York area right now (i work in Manhattan and live in New Jersey) , my company wants to transfer me to an office in Montreal, Canada. My base salary in New york is 110k per year. How much do you think is a comparable salary in Montreal to maintain the same quality of life?

I am married and have a 8 months old baby. I am paying $1500 per month rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in Edison, NJ.

Are there any other factors which I should consider apart from Winters (I am kind of ready for the cold weather) and the fact that i don't know french.

My decision to move will majorly depend on the salary offer that i get from my company. I would appreciate any other point of consideration.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Well, rent for a two bedroom will range from places like this, for 1150, in Montreal's most prestigious neighbourhood:

$1150/2br Westmount - 51/2 - Charming apartment building (http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/apa/2910105781.html - broken link)

Here in a very hip, but more normal neighbourhood for about 1000:

urgent 4 1/2 metro laurier (http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/apa/2914409858.html - broken link)

To here in a working class, but not particularly dangerous, area of town for 700:

2nd floor 4 1/2, seconds from Verdun metro (http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/apa/2864269095.html - broken link)

All of these are near downtown with good transit. The suburbs range in price wildly depending on how prestigious the area is, and they are roughly of similar price, but you'd need to own a car, they're fairly autocentric places.

The cost of going to a restaurant will be between 8 and 15 dollars, and the cost of entertainment will, I imagine, be much less expensive than in New York. Health care will obviously be free, but you'd need some kind of health insurance for drugs and dental if that's not offered by your employer, probably a few hundred dollars for the year. As for the French, the province provides free French lessons to immigrants, you should take advantage of the opportunity if you do decide to come to Canada. If you could give me a list of things you pay for I could give you a better idea of the comparison. Most things are cheaper here, especially electricity, but not everything. Alcohol, gasoline, and books are all more expensive in Canada than in the United States generally, but I must admit some ignorance of the local New York prices. I'd guess that a roughly equivalent salary, taking into account the local cost of living, would be 70 - 75 thousand dollars. Any thoughts on this guess from other Montreal people?

Last edited by BIMBAM; 03-21-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 01:35 PM

5 posts, read 68,539 times
Thanks Bimbam, really apreciate it.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:47 PM

I think this place in a suburb of Montreal by a commuter train station would be the closest equivalent to where you were before:

QUIET COUNTRY SETTING (http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/apa/2896017250.html - broken link)

Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM

22 posts, read 196,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freek4iphone View Post
Hi,

I am in New York area right now (i work in Manhattan and live in New Jersey) , my company wants to transfer me to an office in Montreal, Canada. My base salary in New york is 110k per year. How much do you think is a comparable salary in Montreal to maintain the same quality of life?

I am married and have a 8 months old baby. I am paying $1500 per month rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in Edison, NJ.

Are there any other factors which I should consider apart from Winters (I am kind of ready for the cold weather) and the fact that i don't know french.

My decision to move will majorly depend on the salary offer that i get from my company. I would appreciate any other point of consideration.

Thanks
Hello.

So I'd say to have the same life quality as in Newyork with 110k you should expect something like 70k in Montreal. (things are generally cheaper in Montreal except for food)

To give you a better understanding, I'll refer you to this page:

Cost of living in Montreal

To get a 4.5 in Montreal which is equal to 2 bedrooms in NY you can find apartments between 900$ to 1500$ with acceptable quality.

I suggest you to read this comprehensive article to find out more.
Housing in Montreal

French wouldn't be a major problem as 55% of the population and 85% in downtown are bilingual.

The weather is colder than NY by 10-12 degrees.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 AM

218 posts, read 510,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faghan View Post
So I'd say to have the same life quality as in Newyork with 110k you should expect something like 70k in Montreal. (things are generally cheaper in Montreal except for food)
I doubt that. With 110k in nyc I'd have more flexibility in increasing disposal income than with 70k in Montreal. Don't forget Quebec has highest taxes on the continent including all states, provinces, territories and Mexico.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM

True, I didn't realize how low income tax was in New York State until I googled it. Marginal tax rate in Quebec on 70 thousand dollars of income is 38%. You do get 7 dollar a day daycare, free health insurance, and a bunch of possible tax credits, though. Having a kid means a big dependence credit worth a few thousand, and if you take transit you can get tax credit come tax time if you save your receipts. Still, you'll probably want to tick the break even number a bit higher, considering.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:14 PM

408 posts, read 607,647 times
Assuming they won't dock your salary, your life in Montreal will be pretty amazing! For 1000$ a month you can live in a highly-urban, extremely safe, trendy, metropolitan universe, your baby will be bilingual in no time, and your quality of life will be awesome.

I hope you move!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
True, I didn't realize how low income tax was in New York State until I googled it. Marginal tax rate in Quebec on 70 thousand dollars of income is 38%. You do get 7 dollar a day daycare, free health insurance, and a bunch of possible tax credits, though. Having a kid means a big dependence credit worth a few thousand, and if you take transit you can get tax credit come tax time if you save your receipts. Still, you'll probably want to tick the break even number a bit higher, considering.
If you live in NYC itself, don't you pay city income tax in addition to state and federal?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you live in NYC itself, don't you pay city income tax in addition to state and federal?
Yes NYC has its own Income tax that you pay in addition to State and Federal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal