Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:34 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

Advertisements

Is the Hinterlands of Quebec a popular destination to Quebecois for outdoor recreation? Like deep into the hinterland like Ottish Mountains, or Torngat, and hudson bay shoreline. What is there to do: hunting, spelunking, fishing, hiking, biking, four wheeling. Where are good locations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:27 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
You can practise all of the activities you mentioned in the Quebec wilderness.

Torngat is not a common destination as it is difficult to get to and there are few facilities for visitors. Consider that it is the same distance from Montreal as the border between Florida and Georgia!

Generally speaking, people don't have to go that far in order to find wilderness areas here. Usually three or four hours north of the major cities in Quebec and you are in pretty deep wilderness. I know that in my area of Gatineau a lot of people go to the Cabonga (700 km2) and Dozois (300 km2) reservoirs north of Maniwaki. You can drive to the "starting off points" for these places without too much trouble.

These are the types of places where most people go, although there are locations a bit further north which are more remote (sometimes only accessible by boat or plane) that some people also go to. Every year in all of the cities across Quebec there are "salons du plein air" (exhibitions) where people who operate facilities on remote lakes (known as pourvoiries) come to display what they have to offer.

This past fall, one of my neighbours went caribou hunting in the James Bay region. This is pretty far from here (1000 km+), but it is still in the middle of the province and not really close to being the far north.

Generally, as I said, you don't really have to go to the far north. The middle of the province has literally millions of lakes and most of it is completely wild.

Just to give you an example: I think Lake Mistassini, north of Chicoutimi, is very roughly the size of Luxembourg.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is the Hinterlands of Quebec a popular destination to Quebecois for outdoor recreation? Like deep into the hinterland like Ottish Mountains, or Torngat, and hudson bay shoreline. What is there to do: hunting, spelunking, fishing, hiking, biking, four wheeling. Where are good locations?
It's not "popular" according to the common use of that word, because there are many more easily accessible places to do those things -- 60-90 minutes North of Montreal, 30-45 minutes N/NE of Quebec City, etc. Basically most of the Canadian Shield still feels remote and is relatively uninhabited, Gaspésie too (except the coast). I'm not discounting the intrinsic qualities of Northern Quebec, but going to the Torngats for example would still be considered a novelty by most people here.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
I'm going to butt in here quickly to mention that of all places in the Québec wilderness, I would LOVE to go to Lac Manicouagan. That lake... and the entire area around it... just fascinates me.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 PM

Are there any urban legends or folktales about the Quebec Hinterlands you can tell me? Scary, inspirational, is all good to me.

From what I know, the natural resources up there are important to the economy of Quebec. So what mining towns, or lumber towns, or any are up there? Or is it all just speculative so know has actually to go up there to exploit?

Can anyone name a good outfitter?

Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Are there any urban legends or folktales about the Quebec Hinterlands you can tell me? Scary, inspirational, is all good to me.
This would be by far the most famous one:

Chasse-galerie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-18-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
From what I know, the natural resources up there are important to the economy of Quebec. So what mining towns, or lumber towns, or any are up there? Or is it all just speculative so know has actually to go up there to exploit?
There is a lot of natural resource exploitation taking place up there, but much of the territory is still relatively unspoiled because it is so huge. That said, many of the roads that are used by visitors were originally built for the resource industry.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
There are many Abitibi and Côte-Nord towns that were built because of mining-related activities but the most well-known mining town in Quebec is Fermont, with its 1.3km-long "wall" (a huge commie block really) to protect the town from cold winter winds. You need to go through Labrador to reach the town by car though. I've read that in general, most mining operations in Northern Quebec fly in the workers for 2-week shifts (and then they're gone for 2 weeks), so these places would have few permanent residents. That's why for example population in Fermont has decreased even though the mine is doing well.

I don't know the James Bay area that well but I would assume that most non-autochtone settlements are related to hydroelectricity. Those places typically have many more people during construction and then get scaled back significantly once operations start.

EDIT: seems I was wrong and you can actually get to Fermont from Baie-Comeau through route 389 only (560km ride).

Last edited by barneyg; 05-18-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 11:46 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I don't know the James Bay area that well but I would assume that most non-autochtone settlements are related to hydroelectricity. Those places typically have many more people during construction and then get scaled back significantly once operations start.
Actually, there's only one non-native village in the whole of the James Bay region, the unincorporated town of Radisson. Since the dams were finished decades ago, there's only a couple hundred villagers there. Indeed, the James Bay area is a fundamentally Cree region, very different in culture from the rest of Quebec. They call their area Eeyou Istchee.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 PM

So no kind of scary legends about wendigos, tribes of cannibals descended from early viking explorers, chupacabras? Are there lots of sasquatch sightings up there? What kinds of bedtimes stories do french canadien mothers tell their kids about the great northern wilderness? Can anyone recommend a good movie that takes place up there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal