Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 05:47 AM

179 posts, read 272,275 times

Advertisements

Greetings, all.

I was going to take a Greyhound bus roundtrip from Chicago to Montreal around the fourth week of August (say, the 18th or so) and return around the 27th/28th, but I am starting to think that paying $200-$250 extra for a flight might be worth it, as it would be about 36 hours less of travel time. Any advice on websites to use for flights? I assume that it's best for me to book flights ASAP, but does anyone have evidence to the contrary (say, last-minute deals or something like "bucket tickets")? Also, since there are so many connections between Chicago and Montreal, does anyone know what happens if there is a breakdown somehow (broken bus, late bus, whatever) in catching the following bus? Does Greyhound make sure your itinerary is fulfilled, or might one have to walk away to a hotel, pay out of pocket, and await whichever bus Greyhound can next send?

Many thanks in advance./Merci beaucoup en avance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Not sure what you are paying for Chicago/Montreal on Greyhound but a bit of research may come up with a cheaper deal if you go Chicago to Toronto on GreyHound then Toronto/Montreal on MegaBus

Welcome to megabus Canada

Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get a discount on Porter's direct website to save about $200 on a roundtrip ticket! VERY pumped for a trip to Quebec!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:25 PM

Let us know how the trip goes along with tips and observations for future Montreal bound travelers..

Old 07-15-2012, 07:24 AM

I will attempt to do so. I was in Montreal for New Year's in 2007, so it won't be my first time visiting, but I will almost certainly add on Quebec City and other nearby places this time... plus it will be late August weather instead of late December weather! I look forward to using French a lot, though my main reason for traveling is to see a friend.

I remain very excited!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:19 PM

As per your request, jambo101, here are some thoughts, tips, and observations:

I was verrrrrrrry happy with my time in Quebec. I had already done some exploring of Montreal in 2007-2008, but I got to experience the city in warm weather and do so much more the past week and a half. Despite enjoying Montreal, I found Quebec City to be more elegant, beautiful, generally "French" (and filled with white people), and enchanting, but its size is far from rivaling what Montreal can offer. I greatly enjoyed the Basilique de St.-Anne-de-Beaupre, but the beauty and peace it provided likely correlate to my position as a practicing Catholic. The Montmorency waterfalls were definitely worth visiting, and I appreciated the fact that they weren't hokey in the way Niagara is.

I had two other non-Montreal experiences: a day trip with Wonder Travel to Ottawa/Gatineau (worth the money for the culture and sights packed in) and about 24 hours around Mont Tremblant. While I better understand the province of Quebec as a result of going to Mont Tremblant, I don't think I would love it in the winter since I don't ski, and in the summertime, I don't see much appeal in the village itself. However, my friend and I camped cheaply and were able to take in the wilderness as a break from the city.

As for Montreal itself, I definitely recommend that tourists get a transit pass to complement walking around. La Vitrine was useful for finding last-minute deals on cultural events. I'm glad I got to take in a movie from the film festival. Le Centre d'Histoire de Montreal had some good information and was cheap. L'Oratoire Saint-Joseph is great even if someone just wants to go there for some exercise walking uphill and for taking pictures. I felt closer to the quebecois when I ate a hot chicken from St. Hubert, ordered a Harvey's burger, had some poutine (not a fan of cheese, but tried some off my friend's plate). bought and read a phrasebook about Canadian French, listened to the political debate two Sundays ago, etc. French is only my third language, but I used it throughout my trip and enjoyed learning more about the differences between Canadian French and that spoken in Paris. My overall view of Montreal as a tourist, once excluding the fact that I have a dear friend there, is that it's a great city to enjoy life and be around people who generally behave quite differently from other North Americans. Yes, the differences are truly there when it comes to flirting, mannerisms, ways of approaching others, and so on. Although I would like to take part in some of Montreal's bigger festivals in the future, I don't know if Montreal will ever be a "sights" city for me; I think of it more as a place to practice French and surround oneself with people who have different takes on life.

I may check in on this thread again and, if anyone asks for clarification or perhaps more details, I may write more.

Cheers.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 PM

Thanks, good info..
Did you end up taking the Chi/Mtl bus or did you fly?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:38 AM

Porter Airlines took care of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal