Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 06:48 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times

Advertisements

Are groceries really that outrageous here? I thought the US just happened to have insanely discounted food and a ridiculous amount of variety rather than us being too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 06:54 AM

13 posts, read 14,352 times
The three major players if the industry are all in Montreal and its small and hard to get in to so unfortunately there isn't other options available at the moment anywhere else. It's crazy for me to see also that chicken is $7 lb when here it's about $2.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Are groceries really that outrageous here? I thought the US just happened to have insanely discounted food and a ridiculous amount of variety rather than us being too expensive.
For a family of 4 here in Montreal.we are easily going through $200 a week in groceries, mind you the kids are teens and have big appetites..
Beer is $10-$12 a 6 pack,not something i can afford on a regular basis, if you smoke its around $12 a pack, i had to give it up 5 years ago not for health reasons but i just couldnt afford it any more. and gas is normally in the $1.40 a liter range Or ($5.30 a gallon), The wife and i are taking home a combined $70K and we arent far from pay check to pay check lifestyle.

That said you could give it a try maybe not forever but a couple of years, i'm sure you'd enjoy your stay in Montreal even though it might be tight financially and the work experience would probably look good on your cv for future job opportunities in more financially convenient locales either back in the US or somewhere else in Canada..
http://www.lovelettertomontreal.com/

Last edited by jambo101; 06-15-2013 at 07:29 AM..

Old 06-15-2013, 09:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxm1092 View Post
So these two statements prove my exact concern about this. It is the dream job but in the end its still about the money. Whats the point in an awesome job if I'm stressed on finances. We have certain bills that have to be paid given the outrageous cost of getting an education in the US and now having to pay for that.
I hate that we burst your bubble and I hate that you're feeling depressed about it, but I'm THRILLED that you came to this forum to learn the truth of it before you took the job and made the move.

Things happen -- and don't happen -- for a reason. If you don't take this job, then I hope something just as good or better is right around the corner for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
It doesn't matter which country is marking them up and which is marking them down. The fact is the fact: groceries in the States are MUCH cheaper. Take it from me: I used to make chicken breasts for my DOG all the time. At $1.77/pound, what did I care? Then my dog and I moved back home to Montreal. I love my dog like crazy, but chicken breasts are almost $7/pound. Not gonna happen, except on a treat basis.

Oh, and I see that Jambo mentioned the price of gas. I forgot that part. Good god, it's crazy.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:31 AM

291 posts, read 476,570 times
I think you should look at the tax forms to get an accurate picture of what your net salary might be:
Revenu Québec - Income Tax Return, Schedules and Guide - Online Services, Forms and Publications

And do consider the future as well, like your chances of getting a promotion, cost of college for your kids (very cheap in Quebec), possible future healthcare costs etc.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:14 PM

14 posts, read 25,964 times
Hi,

I am an English Montrealer for decades and although I have read fairly quickly through the threads, I'm not sure if anyone has addressed the political tones here. There is a PQ (Parti Quebecois) government which is toxic to English speaking population and that is no exaggeration. They can and do harrass restaurants and privately owned business etc. for the sake of wrong spelling on a menu. I worked for a company who was visited twice by the language police to see if our computers, faxes, machines, etc. were set to the French language.

Downtown Montreal isn't so bad but if your wife doesn't speak French then it will come as a shock in many pockets of the city where she may not be talked to in English. I would never dissuade someone from trying something new, especially if you consider this a career move up the ladder for a couple of years, then you should come. The city is beautiful and there is much to do.

Don't know the status of your little ones as I have no kids but there could be some problems and they most definitely will have French lessons, which isn't bad if they go to school here. Best thing is to immerse yourselves as much as you can but be warned we do have our problems even though we have excellent health care but you can get that anywhere in Canada.

Being from Buffalo, you will know of our winters so that isn't too much of a problem. and yes, you will go ouch whenever you buy something and have to fork over the taxes.

I wish you well

Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 AM

Actually a bit of a double tax scam goes on here where if you buy something for $1.00 the provincial tax gets added your purchase is now $1.06 then the federal tax(7%)gets levied but not on the purchase price of $1.00 but on the new with added tax $1.06 total now could be higher than $1.13. not bad thinking a few dollars but imagine the extra tax you pay for big ticket items,a car for instance.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:54 AM

291 posts, read 476,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Actually a bit of a double tax scam goes on here where if you buy something for $1.00 the provincial tax gets added your purchase is now $1.06 then the federal tax(7%)gets levied but not on the purchase price of $1.00 but on the new with added tax $1.06 total now could be higher than $1.13. not bad thinking a few dollars but imagine the extra tax you pay for big ticket items,a car for instance.
Is that the case in all Provinces that don't have an HST or is a Quebec-only thing?
In other words, are all PSTs based on the price of the product+GST instead of just the price of the product?

Old 06-17-2013, 04:22 AM

Not sure how it works in other provinces..But thats the way it works in Quebec

Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Default The Chicken Breast Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
It doesn't matter which country is marking them up and which is marking them down. The fact is the fact: groceries in the States are MUCH cheaper. Take it from me: I used to make chicken breasts for my DOG all the time. At $1.77/pound, what did I care? Then my dog and I moved back home to Montreal. I love my dog like crazy, but chicken breasts are almost $7/pound. Not gonna happen, except on a treat basis.
They are more expensive than in the U.S. but you get flyers at the door every week and anytime at all it is easy to find them on special for 3.49 or 2.99 a pound, or even less. And we are talking boneless.

More expensive than the States: for sure. But certainly not 7 dollars a pound on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal