Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 PM

13 posts, read 22,509 times

Advertisements

I visited Quebec last year and thought it was a beautiful and amazing place. I know there has been a movement for independence there, although I haven't heard too much of it in recent years. What I was surprised with though is that when I eventually traveled past Montreal deeper into the province, many people did not speak English and that there were very very few Canadian flags. Almost all flags on display were the blue and white Quebec flag. I am not too familiar with the situation, but how strong is the separatist movement now and will Quebec ever gain it's independence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times
Who knows? The movement is at a low point right now and the non-separatist Liberals will be in power for the next four years.

But the movement is not dead either as between a third and 40% of the population supports the idea to some degree.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:41 PM

676 posts, read 962,962 times
I think it's super interesting to look at the voter distribution map from the last referendum.

Quebec referendum, 1995 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is insane how close that election was (closer than 51/49), but the divisions were clear, with areas surrounding Montreal and bordering Ontario and the US rejecting secession.

What's interesting to me is the idea that's been floated around about Montreal becoming a sort of special zone within Quebec, without the strict language laws and whatnot. It would definitely help out the city (and likely the province) economically, but I don't doubt that after a generation or two, it's going to be an anglophone-dominated city.

What would an English-speaking Montreal be like? Would it still be as "cool" as a place as it is now? Probably not, especially for tourists. It would still be one of the best cities in North America though, IMO.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
I think it's super interesting to look at the voter distribution map from the last referendum.

Quebec referendum, 1995 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is insane how close that election was (closer than 51/49), but the divisions were clear, with areas surrounding Montreal and bordering Ontario and the US rejecting secession.

It's more Montreal itself that voted mainly for the Non, and even within the city there were divisions with the central-eastern eastern part of the city tending to vote for the Oui.

Areas immediately surrounding Montreal (including many of its suburbs) actually tended to vote for the Oui, with some exceptions.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:

What's interesting to me is the idea that's been floated around about Montreal becoming a sort of special zone within Quebec, without the strict language laws and whatnot.
This has not been considered seriously by anyone and has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:

What's interesting to me is the idea that's been floated around about Montreal becoming a sort of special zone within Quebec, without the strict language laws and whatnot. It would definitely help out the city (and likely the province) economically, but I don't doubt that after a generation or two, it's going to be an anglophone-dominated city.
I assume here you are talking about a situation where the language régime would be changed to more of a "free for all". Because otherwise, should the current situation be maintained in place, there is little chance of Montreal becoming a city where English is the dominant language, even within a couple of generations.

But if Bill 101 were abolished, sure that could happen.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 AM

692 posts, read 958,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I assume here you are talking about a situation where the language régime would be changed to more of a "free for all". Because otherwise, should the current situation be maintained in place, there is little chance of Montreal becoming a city where English is the dominant language, even within a couple of generations.

I'm always curious about the logic behind removing language laws for economic reasons. Being Anglophone hasn't helped Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland or Detroit, and being Francophone hasn't hurt Geneva, Lyon or Brussels, so why do people think that getting rid of Loi 101 will suddenly change Montréal's economic status? IMO the only thing that would change would be that

Old 09-24-2014, 08:22 AM

Hey Acajack, you know you can break up one reply to multiple parts of a post, right?

Quote:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. So...what would an English Montreal be like? The city-state idea doesn't seem serious at the moment, no...but they did get some press: David, Grostern & Lozeau: Imagining Montreal as a city-state | National Post

So yeah...that's why I'm trying to imagine what an English Montreal would be like. Not as cool (personally speaking), but probably more prosperous.

Quote:
It's more Montreal itself that voted mainly for the Non, and even within the city there were divisions with the central-eastern eastern part of the city tending to vote for the Oui.

Areas immediately surrounding Montreal (including many of its suburbs) actually tended to vote for the Oui, with some exceptions.
Yeah, good call, that's what I meant to say. Looks like areas like Hochelaga definitely voted 'Oui,' which makes sense.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
I'm always curious about the logic behind removing language laws for economic reasons. Being Anglophone hasn't helped Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland or Detroit, and being Francophone hasn't hurt Geneva, Lyon or Brussels, so why do people think that getting rid of Loi 101 will suddenly change Montréal's economic status? IMO the only thing that would change would be that
I think it's because Montreal is competing WITHIN Canada against Anglo cities, and the fact is that there are a lot more Anglophones over in this part of the world than there are Francophones. "Opening" up Montreal would attract businesses, and importantly, people. Highly-skilled people from the ROC, the US, etc.

And it's not just about language - there's an entire legal framework, much of it from Quebec City I'd imagine.

But again, I'm not necessarily in support of huge, sweeping changes. But I do think that if Montreal had a little more autonomy, it would be better off.

But I'm not a resident now (maybe I'll one-day return...?), so my opinion doesn't count for anything!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I think it's because Montreal is competing WITHIN Canada against Anglo cities, and the fact is that there are a lot more Anglophones over in this part of the world than there are Francophones. "Opening" up Montreal would attract businesses, and importantly, people. Highly-skilled people from the ROC, the US, etc.
Well, to follow up on what lexdiamonds said, consider that Quebec City is about 98% francophone and has an extremely low unemployment rate* and is close to being a booming city. *Similar to that of Calgary and Edmonton.

Montreal has had a harder time adjusting given that its economy was more firmly ensconced in Anglo North America and was for a long time a big North American city like the others. And so much of its economy was oriented in this way. When the ducks in Montreal stopped lining up in the classic North American way it hurt the city's economy as some people wrote it off as a NA big city, though I would argue that it has now largely recovered from this and although it could be better, it is doing reasonably well given the circumstances. Its unemployment is about the same as Toronto's or sometimes slightly lower or sometimes slightly higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal