Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:40 PM

8 posts, read 6,754 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm from Moldova, and I've been working in USA during the summer 2011.
Now I'm emigrating to Canada (Quebec, Montreal), and I'm asked to deliver some certificate, which contains information about my salaries and payed taxes, (USA work). Does anybody know, what governmental institution delivers such certificates ? Maybe smb. knows how a foreigner can get such a certificate ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
A certificate? That sounds odd. I've never heard of anything like that.

I'm guessing that they want a copy of your income taxes returns (State and Federal), complete with copies of your W4 (if employee) or 1099 (if contractor).

Old 02-18-2015, 01:29 PM

DawnMTL,

Thanks for your answer. I'm not familiar at all with any of american forms.
How is called the form for income taxes return ?

This is what I'm asked for (if anybody knows french by chance, or google translate will always work too):

24. Original ou copie certifiée conforme de preuve des cotisations sociales ou preuve de
paiement de l’impôt sur le revenu pour attester la légalité de l’expérience
professionnelle pour les années mentionnées ci-dessous
S’il vous est impossible d’obtenir l’une de ces preuves, vous devez fournir l’original ou la
copie certifiée conforme d’une preuve d’exonération du paiement des primes de sécurité
sociale ou d’une preuve d’exonération du paiement de l’impôt sur le revenu.
Pour : Requérant principal ou requérante 
- [name of Work #1] / 2011
- [name of Work #2] / 2011
Original de la traduction de la preuve fournie ci-dessus
Pour : Requérant principal  
Attention!
Tous les documents attestant la légalité de l’expérience professionnelle doivent être
émis par une autorité gouvernementale. Les documents émis par un employeur ou un
comptable ne sont pas acceptés.

Is this what am I asked for ?
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/forms/ssa-7050.pdf

Old 02-18-2015, 02:19 PM

Okay, this is the translation of that French text:

Quote:
Original or certified copy of evidence or proof of social security contributions
payment of income tax to certify the legality of experience
professional for years mentioned below
If you can not get any of this evidence , you must provide the original or
certified copy of a proof of exemption from payment of security premiums
social or proof of exemption from payment of income tax .
To : Principal Applicant or applicant 
- [Name of Work # 1] / 2011
- [Name of Work # 2] / 2011
Original translation of the evidence provided above
To : Principal applicant  
Watch Out!
All documents attesting to the legality of professional experience must be
issued by a government authority. Documents issued by an employer or
accounting are not accepted .
The income tax returns are what you would have filed with the IRS (Federal) and with the State where you were living:

Federal: form 1040
State: form [state abbreviation, like MA or PA or CT, etc..]-1040

The last thing that you posted the link for was for Social Security earnings. The first line in the translation is asking for proof of your Social Security contributions. That's pretty much the same thing -- your earnings would determine your contributions. These would show on your U.S. income tax forms as mentioned above (Federal: 1040; State: [XX]-1040).

Old 02-18-2015, 02:29 PM

Also note the last line of the translation: "All documents attesting to the legality of professional experience must be
accounting are not accepted."

That means that they don't want copies of what you filed -- they want copies of the assessment documents that you would have received from the IRS and from the State. The assessments would list what you wrote on your income tax returns and their acceptance of those amounts and/or the changes that they made to the amounts. Copying your own documents is not enough -- they want government documents that show that they received and acknowledged your income tax returns and amounts.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
The income tax returns are what you would have filed with the IRS (Federal) and with the State where you were living:

Federal: form 1040
State: form [state abbreviation, like MA or PA or CT, etc..]-1040

The last thing that you posted the link for was for Social Security earnings. The first line in the translation is asking for proof of your Social Security contributions. That's pretty much the same thing -- your earnings would determine your contributions. These would show on your U.S. income tax forms as mentioned above (Federal: 1040; State: [XX]-1040).

form 1040, and form DE-1040 (Delaware) are two different forms ?
I can provide any of them ?
I can either request form 1040 from IRS, or form DE-1040 from SSA ?
Is that correct ?

Old 02-18-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Pa View Post
form 1040, and form DE-1040 (Delaware) are two different forms ?
I can provide any of them ?
I can either request form 1040 from IRS, or form DE-1040 from SSA ?
Is that correct ?
They are different, yes. The 1040 is Federal (IRS), the DE-1040 is State (Delaware).

If it were me, just to be safe, I'd provide both. You would have received the assessment from both, so you might as well send them both.

I'm not quite understanding part of your question. You'll want to send -- to whomever is requesting the "certificate" -- the assessments that you received from the IRS and from Delaware from last year's taxes (2013 taxes that you filed in 2014). Those assessments should have all the information on it. You're not requesting anything -- you should already have those assessments. You'll want to send copies of them to whomever wants this "certificate" from you.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:41 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Also note the last line of the translation: "All documents attesting to the legality of professional experience must be
accounting are not accepted."

That means that they don't want copies of what you filed -- they want copies of the assessment documents that you would have received from the IRS and from the State. The assessments would list what you wrote on your income tax returns and their acceptance of those amounts and/or the changes that they made to the amounts. Copying your own documents is not enough -- they want government documents that show that they received and acknowledged your income tax returns and amounts.
Alex_Pa -- this is very important. Whoever's asking this does NOT want a copy of your 1040 (tax return) because there is no proof that you ever filed that return. They want the original of a document that some government authority (e.g. IRS) sent to you, where such authority recognizes that you worked legally in the US and paid taxes and/or social security. In Canada such a document is called "Notice of Assessment", I do not know how the IRS calls them.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:02 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Pa View Post
I'm from Moldova, and I've been working in USA during the summer 2011.
Now I'm emigrating to Canada (Quebec, Montreal)
^ I will repeat in Russian what barneyg wrote: Важно! Эти документы, что от вас требуют - это государство (США) само шлет людям ПОСЛЕ того, как они отправили свою налоговую декларацию. Называется эта форма 1040 "Подтверждение получения налога", и она заодно подтверждает, что вы законно там работали. Как в США, так и в Канаде люди обычно предъявляют справки-формы, пришедшие им от государства, а не то, что они сами посылали.

Given, though, that he was working in USA just during a summer, it is possible that either he did not make an income declaration to the U.S. Government, or the government did not mail it to Moldova.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
In Lieu of an income tax form How about just a statement from your employer/s giving details of your working criteria such as length of time worked hours worked and monies made and taxes paid at said job.
Or call up the Canadian immigration office and ask them for more specifics on what they require.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal