Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 AM

8 posts, read 7,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Here's why: They don't speak English. How would you know someone speaks English? Are you psychic? Many people in Montreal know the very basics of English such as "Hello" and "How are you" but can't carry on an actual conversation in English or read more than a few phrases in this post. People in Montreal have jobs and obligations. They aren't going to engage in a language course on the spot just because you don't know the language of their city.
U guys should know the cafe imagination , same waitress 1st day I went there she can talk English, everything was fine, ordered the meal, even her face is not looking so satisfied, few days later I went again, same person, she looks like I own her money or something? Upset , annoying face, french only , Talking in french with gestures, which means my talking makes no sense to her, switched to another person who can speak English, that's it, I think maybe shes in bad mood or something, but that is not professional at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 09:40 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makoto View Post
Same person different activities , that's why I know it.
OK, because we hear this every so often and it sounds more like an urban legend.

When we ask them how they know that a person speaks English, usually they say "well, I overheard him/her speaking English with a friend/colleague, but when he/she spoke to me it was only in French and he/she pretended to not know English."

Which is ridiculous because anyone in Quebec who would refuse to speak English to a stranger, would not be the type of person to speak English with friends or colleagues.

These people, who may exist it is true, are adamant about speaking French all the time.

You would have no way of knowing if they speak English just through casual contact.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK, because we hear this every so often and it sounds more like an urban legend.

When we ask them how they know that a person speaks English, usually they say "well, I overheard him/her speaking English with a friend/colleague, but when he/she spoke to me it was only in French and he/she pretended to not know English."

Which is ridiculous because anyone in Quebec who would refuse to speak English to a stranger, would not be the type of person to speak English with friends or colleagues.

These people, who may exist it is true, are adamant about speaking French all the time.

You would have no way of knowing if they speak English just through casual contact.
I do think only a few people in Montreal are doing this, which is really bad for the future of Montreal, most people are nice, I came here to settle down, I still love Montreal a lot, just few complaints... Thank you

Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoto View Post
I do think only a few people in Montreal are doing this, which is really bad for the future of Montreal, most people are nice, I came here to settle down, I still love Montreal a lot, just few complaints... Thank you
Why is it bad for the future of Montreal if almost no one is doing it?

Old 06-12-2015, 11:33 AM

196 posts, read 216,813 times
While there are people who will insist on speaking French even if they are fluent in English, it's rare. Most will switch (if they can) if they realize you do not speak French. However, it is expected of you to make an effort to learn the local tongue if you're staying for long. Maybe that's what got the waitress peeved a bit. Quebec francophones are nice people and generally appreciate those making an effort to speak their language no matter the proficiency.

I do very much encourage you to learn more French if you plan on staying in Montreal. You'll be missing out on a lot of things small and big with only English. Plus, being fluent in another language is always awesome when you're traveling.

As to your car, sounds like the handy work of some a**hole or an accident. My gf's car is also parked inside condo parking and located where people pass to go inside the rest of the building. On two occasions, she had chewed gum dropped on her front hood. She had thought someone was targeting her (maybe she wronged someone while driving and she didn't notice?), but later we found similar gum stuck on a door frame leading out of the garage. Some people are just badly-raised a**holes plain and simple, don't let that get you down...

Oh and welcome to Montreal It's special here, but you'll never be bored that's for sure!

Old 06-12-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post

I do very much encourage you to learn more French if you plan on staying in Montreal. You'll be missing out on a lot of things small and big with only English. Plus, being fluent in another language is always awesome when you're traveling.
Yeah. Not saying this is the OP's intent but people who live in Montreal would be better advised to devote their time and energy to learning French as opposed to sleuthing for whether random strangers who respond to them in French actually can speak English or not...

Old 06-13-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
While there are people who will insist on speaking French even if they are fluent in English, it's rare. Most will switch (if they can) if they realize you do not speak French. However, it is expected of you to make an effort to learn the local tongue if you're staying for long. Maybe that's what got the waitress peeved a bit. Quebec francophones are nice people and generally appreciate those making an effort to speak their language no matter the proficiency.

As to your car, sounds like the handy work of some a**hole or an accident. My gf's car is also parked inside condo parking and located where people pass to go inside the rest of the building. On two occasions, she had chewed gum dropped on her front hood. She had thought someone was targeting her (maybe she wronged someone while driving and she didn't notice?), but later we found similar gum stuck on a door frame leading out of the garage. Some people are just badly-raised a**holes plain and simple, don't let that get you down...

Oh and welcome to Montreal It's special here, but you'll never be bored that's for sure!
Merci beaucoup! Thank you for your encouraging, I am learning French right now and I ve enrolled a french course nearby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal