Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:57 AM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang1 View Post
My wife is francophone, and she doesn't want to give up her career. Speaking English at home is not a substitute for learning English in an academic setting. They would be able to speak daily English but would be unable to explain complex technical concepts in English if they learned those advanced subjects primarily in French.

My wife especially is against our kids learning Quebecois French. So we are considering our options.
My dad is francophone and my mother English. I grew up in a very Quebecois part of town. I went to school in French. Mom spoke to us in English. We read English books, watched TV in English, and wrote stories in English. I moved to Florida after completing Sec 3 and finished High School here. My English grammar was leaps and bounds above that of the average American. It's really not that difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 02:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
The point i'm trying to make isnt whether learning French is easy or hard its about the op wanting to send his kids to English school,if he doesnt want his kids to be educated in French ,so what? has he not got the personal choice to follow whatever course of action he so desires?
Although in this case he wont be given the choice as Quebec government has deprived him of freedom of choice in the matter,his kids will be going to French school whether he likes it or not...its the law.

jzhang1 do you have any comments to add to this conversation?

Old 08-18-2015, 02:58 PM

692 posts, read 957,702 times
I split my time between Longueuil and New York. I was previously 100% in for the last 4 years for school but my fellowship gives me more flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The point i'm trying to make isnt whether learning French is easy or hard its about the op wanting to send his kids to English school,if he doesnt want to join the francophone community ,so what? has he not got the personal choice to follow whatever course of action he so chooses?
And when he needs to call 911 and the operator doesn't speak English, what then? When his children need an ambulance and the paramedic doesn't speak English, what then? When his kids need jobs, what then?

I've reiterated this 100000000x times. You don't need to speak French at home. You don't need to convert to Catholicism. You don't need to change your name to Lucien Brossard. You should just have enough common sense to speak the language of the majority of the people where you live. Because regardless of whether or not you want to be part of that society, that society pays for your schools, your roads, your firemen and police and ultimately will have to pay people to speak to your and your family in English because you were too lazy to learn French.

Quote:
Those reading Lex's posts still have the freedom to come to their own conclusions to the meaning of his viewpoints which in my opinion certainly sounds like strive to be French or leave.
Except I'm not French at all. I just happen to speak French (parmi d'autres langues) because my parents had enough sense to have me learn the language 85% of people around me were speaking. My culture is Caribbean, not French.

The things you say make me really fear the cognitive decline that comes with ageing. How you manage to come to the conclusions you do baffle me. You could derail the conversation all you want but at least make accusations that make sense. Accusing me of wanting everyone to assimilate into Quebecois culture when 1) I don't live in Québec 100% of my time and 2) I'm not assimilated into Québecois culture myself is silly and undermines any point you make. Just like how saying things like "I don't want my children to speak Québecois French" undermines Anglos and does nothing to garner sympathy for their issues.

Last edited by lexdiamondz1902; 08-18-2015 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 03:24 PM

So your advice to the op is learn French whether you like it or not,if you want to speak English make sure its hidden away behind closed doors in your home. , wanting to send your kids to English school is nonsensical,as for attributing my view points to old age? .Really? we have to stoop to that level? why dont you just accept the fact other people have differing view points and very few non francophones in Quebec are happy with all the linguistic laws (bs)the government expects them to abide by.
Bottom line the op doesnt want to send his kids to French school,get over it.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-18-2015 at 04:26 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 05:54 PM

692 posts, read 957,702 times
Quote:
So your advice to the op is learn French whether you like it or not,if you want to speak English make sure its hidden away behind closed doors in your home. , wanting to send your kids to English school is nonsensical,as for attributing my view points to old age? .Really? we have to stoop to that level? why dont you just accept the fact other people have differing view points and very few non francophones in Quebec are happy with all the linguistic laws (bs)the government expects them to abide by.
I'm not attributing your viewpoints to senility, I'm attributing your poor reading comprehension to senility. Otherwise, I have no explanation for why you insist on attributing ideas to me that I'm not putting forth. Saying that people who live in Québec should learn how to speak French isn't the same as saying that people who live in Québec should BE French. If you can't distinguish the two concepts, that's your problem to figure out.

If anyone needs to "get over it" it's the OP. He lives in Québec. The official language is French. If he wants to access public schools funded primarily by the 80% of Québecois that are Francophone, then he will have to do so in French, and if he doesn't like it then he's free to leave.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:14 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post

The things you say make me really fear the cognitive decline that comes with ageing. How you manage to come to the conclusions you do baffle me. You could derail the conversation all you want but at least make accusations that make sense. Accusing me of wanting everyone to assimilate into Quebecois culture when 1) I don't live in Québec 100% of my time and 2) I'm not assimilated into Québecois culture myself is silly and undermines any point you make. Just like how saying things like "I don't want my children to speak Québecois French" undermines Anglos and does nothing to garner sympathy for their issues.
It is the OP'S francophone wife, not the OP, who doesn't want their kids to learn Quebecois French. And it's very possible that the OP is, like you, an allophone (I suspect he is). So, how would you address that? Perhaps they're undermining allophone issues? Or, golly, demonstrating that there IS diversity among francophones, just as there is among anglophones.

I know Brits, for example, who disapprove of the English North Americans speak and many aspects of NA anglophone culture. My grandmother was one of them (though she chose to remain in the UK). In Detroit, I knew a francophone woman who'd grown up in Tunisia and Paris, who had visited Montreal a couple of times, and (very rudely, I thought) made fun of Québecois French.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 08-18-2015 at 07:28 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 08:40 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
I'm not attributing your viewpoints to senility, I'm attributing your poor reading comprehension to senility. Otherwise, I have no explanation for why you insist on attributing ideas to me that I'm not putting forth. Saying that people who live in Québec should learn how to speak French isn't the same as saying that people who live in Québec should BE French. If you can't distinguish the two concepts, that's your problem to figure out.

If anyone needs to "get over it" it's the OP. He lives in Québec. The official language is French. If he wants to access public schools funded primarily by the 80% of Québecois that are Francophone, then he will have to do so in French, and if he doesn't like it then he's free to leave.
Or pay to send their kid to private school!

Old 08-18-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
It's absolutely false that there is near unanimity from non-francophones on the language issue (and against the current set-up). Many people don't care and see it as totally normal and don't get why anglos have such an issue with French.

People like Lex are getting more numerous.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
The point i'm trying to make isnt whether learning French is easy or hard its about the op wanting to send his kids to English school,if he doesnt want his kids to be educated in French ,so what? has he not got the personal choice to follow whatever course of action he so desires?
Although in this case he wont be given the choice as Quebec government has deprived him of freedom of choice in the matter,his kids will be going to French school whether he likes it or not...its the law.

jzhang1 do you have any comments to add to this conversation?
You make it sound as if everywhere in the world has public schools that teach all subjects in English. In fact 99 percent of the world does not. Schools teach one main language and that is it.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lets refresh your memory from your post 10=

Quote:
So you live in Quebec but you don't want your kids to be Quebecois and don't want them to be able to function as productive members of Quebecois society?

I mean...honestly you should probably leave.

Quote:
On the one hand you say "people who live in Quebec should learn how to speak French isn't the same as saying that people who live in Québec should BE French".on the other hand you are chastising the op for not striving to be Quebecois.Obviously he doesnt want his kids to go to French school so you think he should leave.
So rather than using the ops post as an excuse to air all your usual francophone bafflegab (#10)with meaningless snarky comments laced with insults to Anglos why not just answer post 1.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-18-2015 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal