Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 01:30 PM

13 posts, read 15,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Could be.

Just reporting what I've heard many times though. It's often cited as a reason for leaving Montreal.

Obviously everyone has their own experience.
To your point, I had the impression that speaking French outside of Quebec is a big plus (and it helps during the job search), while speaking English (or any other language for that matters) in Quebec it is not that much of an assett.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 01:39 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabi0 View Post
To your point, I had the impression that speaking French outside of Quebec is a big plus (and it helps during the job search), while speaking English (or any other language for that matters) in Quebec it is not that much of an assett.
I definitely wouldn't go that far.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:56 PM

196 posts, read 216,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabi0 View Post
It's complicated

English fluency is actually a huge asset any time a business needs to contact anyone outside of the Province. However, the political climate is such that the need for English is repressed. To add to that, around Montreal, there is no shortage of people who are at least functional in English. Fully bilingual people without accent on either side and who can write well in both languages, I find are much rarer, and are assets to any business.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
It's complicated

English fluency is actually a huge asset any time a business needs to contact anyone outside of the Province. However, the political climate is such that the need for English is repressed. To add to that, around Montreal, there is no shortage of people who are at least functional in English. Fully bilingual people without accent on either side and who can write well in both languages, I find are much rarer, and are assets to any business.
You called? Acajack reporting for duty.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:28 AM

196 posts, read 216,842 times
Quote:
You called? Acajack reporting for duty.
Your CV may still get drowned out by everyone else claiming full bilingualism though

Old 02-02-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
Your CV may still get drowned out by everyone else claiming full bilingualism though
I am as bilingual as Pierre Elliot Trudeau was.

I could write flawless articles for Maclean's in the morning and for L'Actualité in the afternoon.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:35 PM

261 posts, read 275,875 times
Quote:
I could write flawless articles for Maclean's in the morning and for L'Actualité in the afternoon.
You could probably even abide by the expected cultural and political slant of every major publication in both French and English Canada!

Old 02-02-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
You could probably even abide by the expected cultural and political slant of every major publication in both French and English Canada!
J'ai raté ma vocation!

Old 02-02-2016, 01:14 PM

261 posts, read 275,875 times
But speaking seriously, when you look at those few bilingual political commentators who write articles/are invited on discussion panels in both anglophone and francophone media (examples would be Chantal Hébert -- "Chantelle" as the Toronto Star comment section calls her -- and Tasha Kheiriddin), it's really obvious that they don't express themselves the same way in both languages. Their opinions are largely the same in English and in French, but they don't talk about the same things, or focus on the same arguments, or even use the same kind of language. I happen to think that they're usually much more sensible in French, but that's my cultural biases coming through. An anglophone Canadian would probably think the opposite.

You need to be very familiar with both cultures to play this kind of balancing act, but yes, I'm quite confident that Acajack would be able to do it.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
But speaking seriously, when you look at those few bilingual political commentators who write articles/are invited on discussion panels in both anglophone and francophone media (examples would be Chantal Hébert -- "Chantelle" as the Toronto Star comment section calls her -- and Tasha Kheiriddin), it's really obvious that they don't express themselves the same way in both languages. Their opinions are largely the same in English and in French, but they don't talk about the same things, or focus on the same arguments, or even use the same kind of language. I happen to think that they're usually much more sensible in French, but that's my cultural biases coming through. An anglophone Canadian would probably think the opposite.

You need to be very familiar with both cultures to play this kind of balancing act, but yes, I'm quite confident that Acajack would be able to do it.
I am open to any offers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal