Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 03:59 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,664,193 times

Advertisements

Pics of the ongoing building boom in the city

Square Children's project (phase 1-2 out of 6)

YUL phase 2

TDC phase 2 and 3

Humaniti

Source: https://the514lifeblog.wordpress.com...ate-june-23rd/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 12:49 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,317 times
To be honest, some of these new constructions, esp the TDCs are just plain boring glass boxes, not so much different from the many lake-front condos built in Toronto from 10 years ago. I can just imagine what these would look like 10, 20, 30 years from now when they go out of fashion... And to make things worse, the street-level vibrancy around these buildings really leaves much to be desired, filled with your usual chain stores like Starbucks, McDonald's, and throw in a St. Hubert or some generic sports bar.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:55 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
To be honest, some of these new constructions, esp the TDCs are just plain boring glass boxes, not so much different from the many lake-front condos built in Toronto from 10 years ago. I can just imagine what these would look like 10, 20, 30 years from now when they go out of fashion... And to make things worse, the street-level vibrancy around these buildings really leaves much to be desired, filled with your usual chain stores like Starbucks, McDonald's, and throw in a St. Hubert or some generic sports bar.
My thoughts exactly. It's particularly why I find the Toronto and Miami skylines to be pretty ugly... I'm hoping Montreal doesn't go overboard with these, as they look pretty tacky.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
My thoughts exactly. It's particularly why I find the Toronto and Miami skylines to be pretty ugly... I'm hoping Montreal doesn't go overboard with these, as they look pretty tacky.
Yea it's one area of Montreal that I actively avoid going, because there really isn't anything to do or worthy of one's time to see, even if the buildings are all shiny and new. If I want to see glass skyscrapers I'd go to Toronto or some other generic U.S. city. And to be frank, even many of Toronto's recent high rise constructions have been much higher quality (in terms of architecture and design) and aesthetically pleasing than the ones currently under construction in downtown Montreal. I'm not saying Montreal should stop building high-rises (I'm sure the demand is there especially from foreign investors), but I don't see any real effort by local developers to build high quality high rise architecture that can stand the test of time, especially for large iconic projects like the TDCs.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:42 PM

The architecture is a bit bland, yes, but the glass is high quality and much higher than "luxury" projects seen in T.O or Miami. Plus, it adds a nice and modern take on the skyline, which is unfortunately filled with ugly commie blocks all over downtown. As for the street level, it's still top notch. You have restaurants, cafe's, retail etc.. L'avenue, TDC1 and Roccabella are perfect examples. They have restaurants, retail, banks, grocery stores etc.. TDC3 will have a cafe, Humaniti will have a hotel, office and retail. Other projects will have food halls, mix use and all that, so we're doing a great job compared to other cities.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
The architecture is a bit bland, yes, but the glass is high quality and much higher than "luxury" projects seen in T.O or Miami. Plus, it adds a nice and modern take on the skyline, which is unfortunately filled with ugly commie blocks all over downtown. As for the street level, it's still top notch. You have restaurants, cafe's, retail etc.. L'avenue, TDC1 and Roccabella are perfect examples. They have restaurants, retail, banks, grocery stores etc.. TDC3 will have a cafe, Humaniti will have a hotel, office and retail. Other projects will have food halls, mix use and all that, so we're doing a great job compared to other cities.
Here's hoping this is the case. I'm heading up for the first time in years next week, and one thing I always brag to people about when it comes to Montreal is the dense street level activity, especially when compared to other, larger North American cities not named NYC.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Here's hoping this is the case. I'm heading up for the first time in years next week, and one thing I always brag to people about when it comes to Montreal is the dense street level activity, especially when compared to other, larger North American cities not named NYC.
Get ready for a stupidly large construction zone all over downtown haha. But yeah, you'll see a lot of the new highrises/skyscrapers have a ton of street level activity. Griffintown is a perfect example of an area downtown that went from abandoned to bustling within a few years. Lots of foot traffic in that area now thankfully. You do have some parts of downtown where the new towers are pure residential and have no retail or anything ground level, but that's minimal.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I'm sorry, but having a McDonald's, Starbucks, St. Hubert and a TD bank at street level is not what I consider a vibrant urban street. It's more geared towards tourists or day trippers from Laval or South Shore who want to take their kids for a game or show at Bell Centre. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but it's nothing comparable to real street-level vibrancy that you'd find in Plateau, Mile End, Place des Arts, etc.

And glass is "high quality"? I mean, glass is glass. At the end of the day, if you build a glass box like the TDCs, it's going to be a glass box to the average observer regardless of the "quality" of glass. If you want to look at real quality projects, take a page from the skyscrapers in Chicago or NYC. Even the new constructions in Toronto like The One and YSL Residences are much more impressive and creative in their materials and architectural style. But again, Montreal is not a skyscraper city, never going to be one, and is not the reason why people choose to come here in the first place.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but having a McDonald's, Starbucks, St. Hubert and a TD bank at street level is not what I consider a vibrant urban street. It's more geared towards tourists or day trippers from Laval or South Shore who want to take their kids for a game or show at Bell Centre. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but it's nothing comparable to real street-level vibrancy that you'd find in Plateau, Mile End, Place des Arts, etc.

And glass is "high quality"? I mean, glass is glass. At the end of the day, if you build a glass box like the TDCs, it's going to be a glass box to the average observer regardless of the "quality" of glass. If you want to look at real quality projects, take a page from the skyscrapers in Chicago or NYC. Even the new constructions in Toronto like The One and YSL Residences are much more impressive and creative in their materials and architectural style. But again, Montreal is not a skyscraper city, never going to be one, and is not the reason why people choose to come here in the first place.
And I'm happy about that. I don't want it to become one, as I believe it will take away from some of what makes the city so unique.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:

1. You forgot Adonis, Provigo, a few local establishments, high-end restaurants, pharmacies, retail etc... Go by Griffintown and see all the new restaurants and shops, same with the new Bell Centre Cluster. Or Prevel'a 21 project where it's all local restaurants at street level with more to come. Literally only two McDonald's and two Starbucks opened up in new developments. Or how about the new food hall coming to Carre St. Laurent? there's more to just "Starbucks and Mcdonalds"
2. I have family in the real estate and construction business, and the quality of glass is much higher here due to regulations. Not only is it nicer, but it doesn't fall easily like they do in Toronto.
3. It is now a skyscraper city, the boom clearly suggests that. They aren't the tallest but it's evolving and it's really not hard to see. And also, if RoyalMount goes the way the developers want it, you're going to see dozens of towers between 120-180m going up in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal