Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 09:00 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times

Advertisements

You said "Quebec".
Amazon Vancouver has IT jobs, starting at C$120k with comparable in Californa at around US$200k.
Buying a house here is very expensive, but rental is manageable.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Amaz...8OAAAAAA%3D%3D
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 05:50 AM

20 posts, read 27,859 times
Vancouver is beautiful, but it's also the second most expensive city in the world. That solidly rules it out.

I have looked into immigration rules into Canada. One of the reasons I'm working on building my IT career is exactly for that, to be a more valued/skilled citizen and increase my chances of being accepted. When the time comes - in probably 2 years - I'll be hiring an immigration lawyer to give myself the best chances.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:56 AM

Also from what I've read, immigrating to Quebec can be more difficult than other provinces. If it would be easier, we're fine with going to Ottawa instead. We could always just go to Montreal later.

2 years from now I'll have two associates degrees and 2 years of IT experience so hopefully that's enough for one of their immigration programs. Whatever it takes, I'll find a way!

Old 04-23-2021, 09:59 AM

543 posts, read 899,879 times
Please do your homework on healthcare in Quebec. Some Americans have certain expectations from their healthcare providers that will not be met. Covid has really exposed the consequences of decades of underfunding on the healthcare system and things are really in a crisis at the moment.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:26 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
Please do your homework on healthcare in Quebec. Some Americans have certain expectations from their healthcare providers that will not be met. Covid has really exposed the consequences of decades of underfunding on the healthcare system and things are really in a crisis at the moment.
While I agree with you about the underfunding of the healthcare system here, don't pretend that the U.S has handled Covid better, cause the U.S has dealt with the same issues as us, just at a much larger scale.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:25 AM

I was in the Army for 12 years, then once I got out (medical retirement) continued going to military hospitals, then lived in Florida for a short time before finally moving to Cleveland 6 weeks ago. For probably 95% of my adult life I have had poor medical care. I know Canada's system isn't perfect, but it's lightyears ahead of what I'm used to. And one of the most important things is that it's taxpayer funded so I don't have to worry about getting huge medical bills - like the time my wife had severe stomach cramps so we went to the emergency room in case it was appendicitis. They subsided after an hour or so and she was just fine, but we got a $3,900 medical bill for being there just a short time. I don't want my son to grow up in a country like that.

Canada is much more aligned with how my wife and I are and what we prioritize. I'll find a way, whatever it takes, to get up there. Life goals!

Old 04-23-2021, 12:23 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitenexus View Post
Also from what I've read, immigrating to Quebec can be more difficult than other provinces. If it would be easier, we're fine with going to Ottawa instead. We could always just go to Montreal later.

2 years from now I'll have two associates degrees and 2 years of IT experience so hopefully that's enough for one of their immigration programs. Whatever it takes, I'll find a way!
I don't think that it's significantly more difficult to immigrate to Quebec though some selection processes have been devolved to Quebec and some other provinces. So at the very least it's... different.

But you touched on something important - while Montreal is a very unique place in Canada (and indeed in North America) it's definitely far frorm the only desirable place to move to in this country.

As you say Ottawa is a good, attractive city with a health economy that's still pretty affordable. It's not as sexy, alluring or dynamic as Montreal but it checks off most of the boxes for most people.

There are other good places in Ontario as well, and if you don't want to go far into the West, Halifax on the east coast is also a pretty good place.

While the language hurdle in Montreal is not insurmountable, there is way, way less of one in Ottawa or Halifax, where you'll all be "plug and play" linguistically.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:24 PM

4,950 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:

Don't get your hopes up too high and have a Plan B in case you cannot get into Canada, and a Plan C in case you cannot get a good IT job in either the US or Canada.

I had a 35 year career in IT as a software developer and have seen it to have increasingly devolved into a young person's career where young people coming into the field have a ten to fifteen year shelf life before they are thrown out in favor of "smarter" (i.e. cheaper) talent. You will be 41 years old competing with 22 to 25 year olds with Bachelor's degrees. It is going to be tough.

Also, your age and health issues are going to be a minus both for possible immigration to Canada as well as working an IT life. A government that is interested in better populating a huge country such as Canada would want young, well educated people who would be in the best position to maximize Canada's growth and development. This government would not be as interested in older people with health issues who would tend to be a drag on the health care system.

Working in IT is rough, with many companies trying to extract as much work out of their employees as possible, not caring at all about work/life balance. You will have impossible deadlines to meet and will have to work many overtime hours (usually unpaid) to meet those deadlines. Then there is after-hours support and stringent metrics to adhere to. Your health issue may become a serious minus as the stress and strain of an IT life takes its toll.

The upcoming birth of your child is also going to present challenges. If you have never had a child before, then this is going to eat into your time big time, especially sleep time. My stepson is 30 and his first child was born almost two years ago. He was also studying for an Associates and then perhaps later for a Bachelor's degree in IT. Unfortunately, the demands of his son were so great that he had to drop out of school.

I don't want to be a wet blanket on your hopes and dreams, but please be advised that this isn't going to be a walk in the park. Be prepared for problems and setbacks. Nevertheless, I wish you the best in your endeavors. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2021, 12:27 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
I was in the Army for 12 years, then once I got out (medical retirement) continued going to military hospitals, then lived in Florida for a short time before finally moving to Cleveland 6 weeks ago. For probably 95% of my adult life I have had poor medical care. I know Canada's system isn't perfect, but it's lightyears ahead of what I'm used to. And one of the most important things is that it's taxpayer funded so I don't have to worry about getting huge medical bills - like the time my wife had severe stomach cramps so we went to the emergency room in case it was appendicitis. They subsided after an hour or so and she was just fine, but we got a $3,900 medical bill for being there just a short time. I don't want my son to grow up in a country like that.

Canada is much more aligned with how my wife and I are and what we prioritize. I'll find a way, whatever it takes, to get up there. Life goals!
Really love hearing this! Hope once things calm down with the pandemic, you and your family can settle in Montreal, you'll love it here!

Old 04-23-2021, 01:22 PM

I went to Canada's immigration site and a few others and checked their point system for the skilled worker program. 67 points is required to pass, and by the time I turn 41 I should be at 77 points assuming I get my French up to a basic level (which will be very easy to do in 2 years). That makes me feel a bit more confident about this. And I was fairly conservative, I might actually score a few points higher in a couple categories. I think my best plan of action right now is to save every penny I can, work hard at gaining as much knowledge as possible at my job to help get employment there, and start working on my French.

I'd like to thank everyone again for your replies. This has all been very helpful. I'll find my way into Canada somehow, hopefully Montreal.

One more question - Is it particularly hard to find a job that will hire a non-citizen? Having employment will be required for me to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal