Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 10:16 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times

Advertisements

A while back I read a little about some criminal named Gerald Gallant. Very recently, I noticed they made a movie about him. The coming attractions are below.

I read somewhere it will not be available in Quebec. Could that be true? If so, why would a movie be made in Quebec but only be available to be seen in provinces other than Quebec?

Is there much fanfare about this movie in Canada?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2uDD000KAo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 07:07 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
It's impossible for a movie like this to not be released in Quebec as this would be its principal market.

Perhaps what you heard is that it won't be released right away due to cinemas being closed because of the pandemic?

Old 01-23-2022, 12:10 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
I think there was probably a misunderstanding by whoever wrote what you were reading. As AJ says, it's not possible for the movie to not be released in Quebec. All parts of it, including the factual story, the language, the cast and crew and producers and filming locations are all 100% Quebecois. You can count on it that it will be shown in Quebec.

"Confessions" had it's premiere showing at the Whistler Film Festival in September 2021 and was nominated for an award, and it's slated to be released to the public in Canada sometime in March 2022. There is no fanfare about the movie in Canada because it hasn't been released to the public yet, and there likely won't be any fanfare about it in Canada anyways because of language barrier, except maybe there will be some fanfare in Quebec where more people will understand the French language. The real story and movie based on it likely won't create fanfare since it has been described as being as banal and as true to life as the domestic lifestyle of the killer was. The real contract killer, Gallant, was a small, mousey, inoffensive man who had such a banal, gentle and unsuspicious lifestyle that nobody could ever have guessed that he was actually a contract killer who had killed 27 people.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:23 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,789,333 times
Does the lead actor typically play heavies?

Old 01-23-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Does the lead actor typically play heavies?
Soft-hearted heavies, maybe.

Why?

Assuming you are talking about Luc Picard.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:39 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Looks good. I hope it comes to Netflix.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:45 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,329,814 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Gallant
* Confessions of a Hitman
The film premiered at the 2021 Whistler Film Festival, where Picard won the award for Best Director of a Borsos Competition Film.
It is slated for commercial release in March 2022.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think there was probably a misunderstanding by whoever wrote what you were reading. As AJ says, it's not possible for the movie to not be released in Quebec. All parts of it, including the factual story, the language, the cast and crew and producers and filming locations are all 100% Quebecois. You can count on it that it will be shown in Quebec.

"Confessions" had it's premiere showing at the Whistler Film Festival in September 2021 and was nominated for an award, and it's slated to be released to the public in Canada sometime in March 2022. There is no fanfare about the movie in Canada because it hasn't been released to the public yet, and there likely won't be any fanfare about it in Canada anyways because of language barrier, except maybe there will be some fanfare in Quebec where more people will understand the French language. The real story and movie based on it likely won't create fanfare since it has been described as being as banal and as true to life as the domestic lifestyle of the killer was. The real contract killer, Gallant, was a small, mousey, inoffensive man who had such a banal, gentle and unsuspicious lifestyle that nobody could ever have guessed that he was actually a contract killer who had killed 27 people.

If the movie was shown at Whistler, there is almost certainly English dubbed or subtitled versions of it. Maybe both.

There always is for Quebec movies.

But generally speaking, as in the US (and perhaps the entire Anglosphere), movies that aren't originally in English are a tough sell in Anglo-Canada.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:02 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's impossible for a movie like this to not be released in Quebec as this would be its principal market.

Perhaps what you heard is that it won't be released right away due to cinemas being closed because of the pandemic?
It didn't say why it wouldn't be shown in Quebec, but I'm guessing the pandemic is the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

The movie will have English subtitles but I don't know if that will be in the movie theater. Maybe it will not have subtitles in Quebec but will have them in other provinces?

Yes, Gallant was gentle and inoffensive. Also, into riding bicycles for fitness. I don't recall if he competed in races, though. I think he's 5'8". Is that short in Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Looks good. I hope it comes to Netflix.
I'm sure it will.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:17 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If the movie was shown at Whistler, there is almost certainly English dubbed or subtitled versions of it. Maybe both.

There always is for Quebec movies.

But generally speaking, as in the US (and perhaps the entire Anglosphere), movies that aren't originally in English are a tough sell in Anglo-Canada.
We love subtitled foreign films. After a few minutes of being absorbed in the story we don't even notice they are speaking a foreign language or that we are reading. It's like being absorbed in a novel, you don't notice that you are reading.

We actually use the close caption feature on several American TV shows when an actor is not speaking clearly. For example the chief on Chicago Fire sometimes mumbles his words. We call the subtitles the mumbles. I ask my wife if she heard what was just said. She says no. I say I'll turn on the mumbles.

Last edited by bobspez; 01-23-2022 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal