Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM

34 posts, read 284,056 times

Advertisements

I am planning my first visit to Canada in April. I will be going to Montreal. I was just wondering how hard it will be for someone that doesnt speak french. Are there a lot of people that dont speak English there? Also, what are the things I should definitely check out if I will only be there for a few days? Are there any bad areas I should avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:13 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Metaldome you will be fine in Montreal. They are used to tourists who only speak English, and many people are bilingual (French-English). Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to learn a few basic phrases and use them - they will quickly acertain that you don't speak French, but appreciate you making an effort. The "West Island" was very anglophone last time I was there.

April will likely be cool (possibly cold) and wet, so bring rain gear.

As for what to see there, it depends on your interests. It is one of our oldest cities and Old Montreal is beautiful - quaint shops and cafés, cobblestone streets, etc. There are theatres and museums galore. You may also want to check out more info on these places on google:
  • Biodome
  • Insectarium
  • Imax Theatre (at the Montreal Science Centre)
  • Chinatown (best dim sum ever!)
This is a good site: www.tourism-montreal.org

The main "activity" you may enjoy in Montreal is the food - Quebecers love good food and even the most basic places serve exceptional food. I lived in Quebec for three years and NEVER had a bad meal.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Last edited by sunshineleith; 03-03-2009 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 AM

34 posts, read 284,056 times
Are signs or at least menus in English and French?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Signs (road, store) are definitely in French, occasionally in English. English on any signage will always be smaller print. Menus - pretty much bilingual. Quebecers are really nice - they won't eat you - honest! LOL

Old 03-04-2009, 12:05 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
I agree with what has been said so far. There are definitely lots of people in Montreal who speak French only, but anyone who works in tourism or more broadly with the public (especially downtown) would know English.

Road signs in Quebec generally use internationally-recognized pictograms, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:34 AM

44 posts, read 297,715 times
Yes, Montreal is much more bilingual than Quebec City. You should be fine, and as posted, Quebecers appreciate it if you try to speak a little french. The food in Quebec is soo awesome! I have to say Quebec has the most cultural flair of any Canadian province - people dress more fashionably too.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:54 PM

39 posts, read 285,118 times
I live and work in Montreal, and I'm bilingual, but English is my mother tong, and 90% of the time I can speak English to people and it's fine. Also, for a lot of the basic words, you just take the english one and give it a French accent i.e. Taxi = Taxi (Tahx-ee), Airport = Aeroport (Ay-eh-ro-por), Train Station = Station de Train (sta-si-o de tray) or "Gare".
Thank-you = Merci
Please = Si Vous Plait (often written as S.V.P.)
Restaurant = Restaurant (res-tor-ah)

Places to avoid are parts of N.D.G. (especially Walkley Ave.), Snowdon, Cote-des-neiges, Ville-St.-Pierre, Little Burgundy, and Montreal-North. Don't worry, you probably won't get shot (except for walkley), but don't walk around these areas with ipod buds in your ears, or with other expensive-looking gadgets exposed. This is especially true in the subway, between the stops Namur and Place-Saint-Henri, on the Orange line. There have been known to be gang wars at Villa-Maria station, and Vendome often has teens in gangs loitering around it.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 96,967 times
montreal is seriously half english without a doubt no matter where you go everyone speaks and understands english its very rare to have someone not know english i lived here all my life and its not a problemeven though the signs may be french which they should be both since there is so many english hereand to top it all off no matter what bar or club you go to its all english music all the french ppl i know all of them speak english and listen to english music and most of them prefer to speak englishbut its nice to know both because only knowing one keeps you on one side of quebec and its nice to know both types of quebecers

Old 05-22-2009, 04:33 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgj88 View Post
all the french ppl i know all of them speak english and listen to english music and most of them prefer to speak english
*Most* "French" people in Montreal you know prefer to speak English? Hmmm, first time I've ever heard anyone make that claim.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Do you have any trouble speaking English anywhere else? No? Than you won't have any trouble there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal