Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,814 times

Advertisements

I will have one day each to visit Quebec city and Montreal in the coming weekend (yes, tight schedule), and would like to get some oppinions on what to do, where to go. Due to time constraints, I will not visit any museums and I won't spend much time in churches, which Montreal is famous for. Also, i will have to reply on public transportation.

Is old Quebec the only place that is worth visiting in Quebec city? How long does it take to walk around the old city?

I know 1 day is far from enough for Montreal, as it is such a fantastic city. I'd like to know your suggestions about its most interesting must-see places. And maybe nice but affordable restaurants as well (under $50 for 2) Does Montreal have the 1-day pass as TTC does?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,308 times
With one day in Quebec City, the old city is pretty much all you have time for. And yes, that's typically where all the historic sites are and where all the tourist attractions are.

Montreal? Well, honestly? Montreal's a city about neighbourhoods, windowshopping, and sitting around on patios sipping Italian coffees, nibbling on French pastries, and then lounging around later on drinking red wine and eating cheap pizza and Lebanese food, and Quebecois style junk food like poutine and smoked meat sandwiches. Save the churches - whatever - there are more interesting parts of Montreal.

A trip to Montreal would not be complete without a quick jaunt through the Old Port, which is the oldest part of Montreal. Personally, I find it a bit tourist trappy. Then scurry over to "St-Laurent" or "St-Denis" - two major streets for restaurants, cafes, and windowshopping. And be sure to visit "le plateau" which is Montreal's cool neighbourhood with lots of neat restaurants, French patisseries. End up at "Parc Mont Royal" - the park at the top of "the mountain" - where Montreal gets its name. There's a beautiful panoramic view of the city from the top. Now *that*'s an ideal day in Montreal.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Good suggestions from Robynator.

Ste-Catherine, Montreal's true main street, is also quite interesting though very touristy. I often feel like I am in Boston when walking there because of all the American tourists.

Not that long ago Ste-Catherine was plagued by low-brow retail and some vacant shops but in recent years it has really gotten a lot spiffier and is now very worthy of the happening main shopping street in a major city.
Definitely worth a stroll from about Guy in the west to St-Denis in the east.

Sherbrooke, just a few blocks up from Ste-Catherine, is also a handsome urban thoroughfare, roughly within the same east-west boundaries and even beyond in both directions.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:47 PM

7 posts, read 43,604 times
I'll note this peeps.
Great posting.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:54 AM

188 posts, read 662,967 times
Thanks for bumping this up as I was just about to ask the same thing. We are going up to Montreal for one day in July from the glens falls NY area and curious about what is the best place for a couple of non french speaking touristes to go =). I was thinking Old Montreal, but I haven't figured out a good battle plan.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:26 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
How are you getting to Montreal and what time of day?Because if you are leaving Quebec City then driving to Montreal and leaving Montreal all on the same day you wont really have time for anything but a driveby.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 AM

I'd Like to add more to the thread but its kind of specific to the Op's questions and the op hasnt been on the forum since Jan 26 2011.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

I'd Like to add more to the thread but its kind of specific to the Op's questions and the op hasnt been on the forum since Jan 26 2011.

Please do. I am probably going to be spending 5 days or so by myself in the city towards the end of august.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:59 PM

Old port area
Underground city
Parc MontRoyal atop the mountain
St Josephs Oratory.
Montreal BioDome
Botanical Gardens
Redpath Museum
China town.
Jean Talon and or Atwater Markets
La Ronde if you are into roller coaster parks
Walk along Ste Catherine St,
Crescent St.
St Denis St.

That should keep you busy for a few days..

Old 07-15-2012, 03:42 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Old port area
Underground city
Parc MontRoyal atop the mountain
St Josephs Oratory.
Montreal BioDome
Botanical Gardens
Redpath Museum
China town.
Jean Talon and or Atwater Markets
La Ronde if you are into roller coaster parks
Walk along Ste Catherine St,
Crescent St.
St Denis St.

That should keep you busy for a few days..

Excellent stuff, thank you.

I hear there are a couple great outdoor markets this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal