Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,886,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
maybe fires that don't disrupt traffic, people trying to sleep, old people, cars, buildings, and anything else that might be harmful.
Chris admit it.

After watching that game you probably wanted to burn a couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 06:23 AM

6,098 posts, read 9,138,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Chris admit it.

After watching that game you probably wanted to burn a couch.
If I had one, a safe place to do it, and it was legal (which if I was home I could on my property) then probably. But there is a too common scene in Morgantown where students grab whatever they have and run out into the middle of Grant St. and lite a couch on fire. Am I really wrong for saying that's inmature and unsafe? There are thousands of other ways to express one's excitement over a big win. Come on people, grow up.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 AM

881 posts, read 2,094,389 times
Quote:
It is never threatening unless you are wearing the wrong Jersey.

After a win their is a sense of companionship and celebration among fans.
How about no jersey and out of state tags? Drove thru town to starbucks this am and things are surprisingly in good order - the "We messed with Texas" sign was priceless.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
How about no jersey and out of state tags? Drove thru town to starbucks this am and things are surprisingly in good order - the "We messed with Texas" sign was priceless.
Out of state tags are ok, because many students have them and Mountaineer fans. To be safe put some WVU stickers and flags on your car.

I think I have a compromise. From now WVU fans can only burn down cars that have visible support for the opposing team.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
If I had one, a safe place to do it, and it was legal (which if I was home I could on my property) then probably. But there is a too common scene in Morgantown where students grab whatever they have and run out into the middle of Grant St. and lite a couch on fire. Am I really wrong for saying that's inmature and unsafe? There are thousands of other ways to express one's excitement over a big win. Come on people, grow up.
Grant is no longer a good place to burn a couch because that is where the police focus most of their effort. You will have much more success if you do it somewhere else.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Out of state tags are ok, because many students have them and Mountaineer fans. To be safe put some WVU stickers and flags on your car.

I think I have a compromise. From now WVU fans can only burn down cars that have visible support for the opposing team.
Sounds good to me. FWIW I suspected the "celebration tales" were a bit overblown. Two trips thru S High last pm & now this am & I can attest that tales can be just that - tales. Now if they win a Championship....

Old 10-07-2012, 12:11 PM

6,098 posts, read 9,138,293 times
If WVU wins a championship, then I give the students permission to burn Hotel Morgan down. lol jk

Old 10-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
If WVU wins a championship, then I give the students permission to burn Hotel Morgan down. lol jk
No, that is a local landmark and an old building. Let them burn one of those new apartment buildings on Beechurst or University. They just make traffic worse.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,062,139 times
I was in Austin, TX last night and like the way they do things there. Now, mind you that city is at least 15 times larger than anything we have in our state, but they do have serious partying there on Saturday nights. The police actually block off the sections of streets where there is partying with barricades and prohibit traffic there. You can party as loud as you want, as long as you aren't being violent. It is watched by a handfull of cops on the fringes. Party hardy, but do not take it out of the designated area. They could care less if somebody is 21 years old or not, as long as they keep the activity non violent and keep it within the confines of the party district they are not distrubed by the cops.

There were thousands of partyers there having a blast, including many West Virginians, but I did not see a single significant problem.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 PM

CT, Shut your mouth! The last thing anyone needs is reason and common sense, when there's more for the various "authorities" in making any number of claims, all the while seeking publicity and $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown