Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 PM

10 posts, read 15,767 times

Advertisements

I think it would be a great idea to get some sort of alternative north-south link in the area to alleviate traffic on I-79. What would you guys think of, say, a passenger rail line between Clarksburg and Morgantown, for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM

941 posts, read 1,356,288 times
Great idea but I'm affraid it would be hard to sell it because it wouldn't create much revenue. The only passenger rail in the country that has seen profit (outside of PRTs) is the Washington-NYC line. I don't have any facts or figures right now, but you can search it easily.

A passenger rail going from Charleston to Pittsburgh that stops in Clarksburg/Bridgeport, Fairmont, Morgantown, and some Pennsylvania areas might go better. It would cost more but Pennsylvania would be likely to help with the funding. This would still be a difficult idea to sell because of the exact reason I stated above. I mean train routes that go between much larger cities don't even turn a profit. Amtrak, for example, is funded largely by the government, which they have threatened to cease. I believe that it would shock the economy to vault passenger rail, even though it doesn't make profit, and that's why it is still funded.

Sorry if I rambled.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 PM

fault not vault***

Sorry. I should proofread better.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM

Halt not fault***

Really sorry. That's what I get for using my iPhone.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:50 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Great idea but I'm affraid it would be hard to sell it because it wouldn't create much revenue. The only passenger rail in the country that has seen profit (outside of PRTs) is the Washington-NYC line. I don't have any facts or figures right now, but you can search it easily.

A passenger rail going from Charleston to Pittsburgh that stops in Clarksburg/Bridgeport, Fairmont, Morgantown, and some Pennsylvania areas might go better. It would cost more but Pennsylvania would be likely to help with the funding. This would still be a difficult idea to sell because of the exact reason I stated above. I mean train routes that go between much larger cities don't even turn a profit. Amtrak, for example, is funded largely by the government, which they have threatened to cease. I believe that it would shock the economy to vault passenger rail, even though it doesn't make profit, and that's why it is still funded.

Sorry if I rambled.
I like the part about a rail link from morgantown to Pittsburgh, perhaps with links in Fairmont and Clarksburg.

However, Charleston is too far, doesnt have connections with these areas, and there is a HUGE empty gap between Charleston and Clarksburg. Remove Charleston and you have a good idea.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:03 PM

10 posts, read 15,767 times
That is a really good idea expanding the idea to Pittsburgh, seeing as it's the main economic driver for this region. And good point with the funding, this was really just a wild idea that just popped into my head.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 PM

I can't say that I agree. The state, or US government, won't do it if Charleston isn't involved for a few reasons. The people who would make the decision probably live in Charleston and might be a little biased but that's okay and understandable. Charleston also is the largest population center in the state and it already has an Amtrak line running through it. They would certainly want to connect the proposed railway to that line (called the Cardinal). Also, WVU would benefit greatly from it connecting in Charleston. Students going to WVU from Charleston, Huntington, and maybe even from Virginia would use it just like students from Pittsburgh would use it. That might even very slightly increase enrollment. Marshall students from some of the northern areas of the state would might use it as well, although not nearly as much as WVU students.

Connecting the rail from Pittsburgh to Charleston would be great for a large portion of the state and would be even better for Charleston, WVU, and thus Morgantown. It's too bad it will most likely never happen. Not enough to gain for Pennsylvania for them to really consider it and that can just be added to what I said above. Maybe if WV has a really good growth spurt and someone invests in high speed rail for most of the country, it might happen.

Thanks for the comment btw

Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 PM

4,959 posts, read 8,957,096 times
Interesting fact: The WV constitution requires towns with more than 100 people and a mile or less from the railroad to have a railway passenger station. I'd say there are a few towns that don't meet that requirement in this day and age.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I can't say that I agree. The state, or US government, won't do it if Charleston isn't involved for a few reasons. The people who would make the decision probably live in Charleston and might be a little biased but that's okay and understandable. Charleston also is the largest population center in the state and it already has an Amtrak line running through it. They would certainly want to connect the proposed railway to that line (called the Cardinal). Also, WVU would benefit greatly from it connecting in Charleston. Students going to WVU from Charleston, Huntington, and maybe even from Virginia would use it just like students from Pittsburgh would use it. That might even very slightly increase enrollment. Marshall students from some of the northern areas of the state would might use it as well, although not nearly as much as WVU students.

Connecting the rail from Pittsburgh to Charleston would be great for a large portion of the state and would be even better for Charleston, WVU, and thus Morgantown. It's too bad it will most likely never happen. Not enough to gain for Pennsylvania for them to really consider it and that can just be added to what I said above. Maybe if WV has a really good growth spurt and someone invests in high speed rail for most of the country, it might happen.

Thanks for the comment btw
Actually there is more people in Morgantown than Charleston. Huntington is also technically bigger than Charleston. The only reason Charleston is seen as a big population center is because it has a HUGE metro area and the city is big in land area. many other areas of WV are just as big if not bigger given the same area.

You are probably right that the politicians might not support if Charleston was not involved. That doesnt change the facts is it would be wasteful. Charleston doesnt have any real links with Clarksburg, Fairmont, and Morgantown, much less Pittsburgh. People from Charleston might take this train to get out of Charleston to enjoy Morgantown or Pittsburgh, but you wouldnt see that reverse traffic. There is nothing really in Charleston to attract people. Charleston is not some huge visitor designation.

Even if they had to go to Charleston for say a work presentation the city is spread out with poor public transit. It wouldnt be useful.

The area between Morgantown and Pittsburgh is pretty populated. Around 1 million people live in that 55 mile stretch. The area between Charleston and Morgantown is not populated. It is much longer and largely empty. The terrain is not good for trains, and there is no reason to stop at most places.

Earlier some Charleston posters talked about a rail link from Charleston to Huntington. They posted some info and it turns out that on average around 30 people take a bus between the 2 cities a day. 30 people! Does that justify a rail line?

To be honest the only areas that make sense in WV for a rail link to a city are EP to DC, which already exist with the Marc, Morgantown to Pittsburgh, and Wheeling to Pittsburgh.

Anywhere else and you are just spending a ton of money to build, maintain, and run a rail network that very few people are going to use. Could it be done, yes, but it would be a huge drain on state resources for very small ridership.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Interesting fact: The WV constitution requires towns with more than 2,000 people to have a railway passenger station. I'd say there are a few towns that don't meet that requirement in this day and age.
If the state government wants to get on this great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown