Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,147 times

Advertisements

My fiance is heavily considering WVU for his PhD program, and we're discussing relocating to the area after our wedding (around August 2013.) We're both city-based, currently living in Boston, though I've spent the better part of the last decade in New York, DC, and Los Angeles.

I know this would be a large jump, but how jarring would the transition potentially be? Money isn't a large factor, as I'll be working from home for my current company, and it seems as though my salary will afford us a nice apartment. We're more concerned about maintaining the city atmosphere, accessibility (some people here say it's easy without a car, others say the opposite), culture (specifically restaurants and theaters), and maintaining a social life with a late-20s+ crowd.

Any helpful information would be very appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capritchard View Post
My fiance is heavily considering WVU for his PhD program, and we're discussing relocating to the area after our wedding (around August 2013.) We're both city-based, currently living in Boston, though I've spent the better part of the last decade in New York, DC, and Los Angeles.

I know this would be a large jump, but how jarring would the transition potentially be? Money isn't a large factor, as I'll be working from home for my current company, and it seems as though my salary will afford us a nice apartment. We're more concerned about maintaining the city atmosphere, accessibility (some people here say it's easy without a car, others say the opposite), culture (specifically restaurants and theaters), and maintaining a social life with a late-20s+ crowd.

Any helpful information would be very appreciated. Thank you!
Yes, and no.

Morgantown is a SMALL city, and it is crowded in the downtown area, but nothing like NYC, DC, or LA. It is actually as crowded as PARTS of all of these cities but after a few miles it rapidly becomes suburban, and rural.

I am someone from Morgantown who has lived in DC, Austin, and Porto Alegre Brasil (1.5+ million people). I like big cities. I also really like Morgantown.

Morgantown by far has the best city atmosphere, nightlife, and culture in WV, but that isnt saying much. Restaurant wise it is above average, and I find it acceptable, but it isnt going to compete with any of those cities. Morgantown for a city its size has LOTS of options but the food isnt bad but it cant generally compete with some of those city places. There is at least 1 big theater downtown, and the university also has a theater. Pittsburgh which isnt far away also has good theater. I wont comment though since theater is not something I care about, but I do know it is the best in the state.

For 20+ something Morgantown has good nightlife. Again you wont have as many options as NYC, DC, and LA but there are people that have lived in all of these cities here, and I personally know people who have lived in all of them especially NYC & DC. Overwhelmingly they enjoy the nightlife here. Sometimes they prefer here, others times back home, but even when they find it better back in DC/NYC/LA they still have fun in Morgantown.

Morgantown is centered on the lower 20s crowd, but you will fit right in being in your upper 20s. Even into your mid 30s Morgantown has a lot to offer nightlife wise.

When thing great about Morgantown is it is young. There are parts of town where almost everyone is under 30, and those above it tend to be in their 30s. I've never lived anywhere with such a youthful vibe.

You can survive in certain areas without car. It is easier to get around with a car, and I would recommend one, but Morgantown has been ranked one of America's most walkable cities before. ranked 34th in the country and first in WV. 34th may not seem good, but keep in mind it is competing with ALL cities in the US, and it beats cities MUCH MUCH bigger than it.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
We have very good theater and restaurants here, especially considering we are a relatively small town. In Morgantown, we have many former New Yorkers who have made the adjustment just fine. It is a college town by character, so cultural amenities are abundant.

Accessability? We have a very good bus system here, but the busses don't run as frequently as you are used to in Boston (where my son works) or New York (where I used to work). Once every hour for the outlying routes and every half hour for the more central ones. There is a taxi service, but it is busy at certain hours. Most of us (myself included) get around by auto and that is not a big problem except during rush hours, when our traffic can rival parts of New York City.

If cost is not an issue, you should be able to find very nice housing here. I would suggest the Cheat Lake area about 5 miles out of town on I68. There are parking areas and garages for students, and there is a Cheat Lake bus but again you might have some wait time involved.

Most people who come here from a large city find the change of pace and relaxed attitude of our people refreshing. Our crime rate is much lower than those areas, and folks are generally friendly and welcoming to newcomers.
In general, there is a good realtionship between the locals and the university community. My wife and I own our home, and there might be some renters who will respond with specific suggestions as to where to live who could offer better advice about that.

I'll include some links about the community and The University.

We have very nice outdoor venues in and near our city, with almost 50 miles of good hiking/biking trails, beautiful forest areas, and whitewater rivers nearby.

City of Morgantown, WV official website

Coopers Rock State Forest

Chestnut Ridge Park and Campground Home Page

Tygart Lake State Park

Prickett's Fort State Park

Welcome ...

Ohiopyle Rafting, Lower, Upper, Middle Yough, Whitewater Trips, Ohiopyle Bike Trail, Rentals

West Virginia Public Theatre | Presenting the Best of Broadway

Arts&Entertainment - West Virginia University

Subscribe WVU

College of Creative Arts

Mountain Line Transit (http://www.busride.org/indexnew1.htm - broken link)

Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) | Transportation and Parking | West Virginia University

And, Megabus offers twice daily bus service to Pittsburgh and Washington, DC for as little as $1 one way...

New bus service offers $1 fares to Pittsburgh, Washington D.C. - News - The Daily Athenaeum - West Virginia University

Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
We have very good theater and restaurants here, especially considering we are a relatively small town. In Morgantown, we have many former New Yorkers who have made the adjustment just fine. It is a college town by character, so cultural amenities are abundant.

Accessability? We have a very good bus system here, but the busses don't run as frequently as you are used to in Boston (where my son works) or New York (where I used to work). Once every hour for the outlying routes and every half hour for the more central ones. There is a taxi service, but it is busy at certain hours. Most of us (myself included) get around by auto and that is not a big problem except during rush hours, when our traffic can rival parts of New York City.

If cost is not an issue, you should be able to find very nice housing here. I would suggest the Cheat Lake area about 5 miles out of town on I68. There are parking areas and garages for students, and there is a Cheat Lake bus but again you might have some wait time involved.

Most people who come here from a large city find the change of pace and relaxed attitude of our people refreshing. Our crime rate is much lower than those areas, and folks are generally friendly and welcoming to newcomers.
In general, there is a good realtionship between the locals and the university community. My wife and I own our home, and there might be some renters who will respond with specific suggestions as to where to live who could offer better advice about that.

I'll include some links about the community and The University.

We have very nice outdoor venues in and near our city, with almost 50 miles of good hiking/biking trails, beautiful forest areas, and whitewater rivers nearby.

City of Morgantown, WV official website

Coopers Rock State Forest

Chestnut Ridge Park and Campground Home Page

Tygart Lake State Park

Prickett's Fort State Park

Welcome ...

Ohiopyle Rafting, Lower, Upper, Middle Yough, Whitewater Trips, Ohiopyle Bike Trail, Rentals

West Virginia Public Theatre | Presenting the Best of Broadway

Arts&Entertainment - West Virginia University

Subscribe WVU

College of Creative Arts

Mountain Line Transit (http://www.busride.org/indexnew1.htm - broken link)

Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) | Transportation and Parking | West Virginia University

And, Megabus offers twice daily bus service to Pittsburgh and Washington, DC for as little as $1 one way...

New bus service offers $1 fares to Pittsburgh, Washington D.C. - News - The Daily Athenaeum - West Virginia University
You forgot to mention the PRT. Morgantown is one of the very few cities in the world that has a personal rapid transit system.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
You will look back later on this sojourn as the best part of your lives.

You will need a car....what is very popular here is the Mini-Cooper.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times
A car is necessary here - not for workdays, but for trips to the grocery store, etc. The bars appear to mostly oriented toward the very youthful, but many of the nicer restaurants offer good settings for drinks with friends. Entertainment-wise, those of us who accept living here make due of what's available. The university has several different lecture series (in the past year I've seen Siddhartha Mukherjee (the emperor of all maladies - youv'e probably heard of him since he's from Boston), Maya Angelou, nobel laureate physicist John Mather. Living in a city of this size requires you to take advantage of most of the opportunities available, rather than being able to pick and choose. Music-wise this city is dead, which is quite unfortunate, but Pittsburgh is nearby...

Will you be renting or buying? and how much do you plan to spend? Selecting the right neighborhood in Morgantown can vastly improve your experience given less time in traffic and various other annoyances.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
A car is necessary here - not for workdays, but for trips to the grocery store, etc. The bars appear to mostly oriented toward the very youthful, but many of the nicer restaurants offer good settings for drinks with friends. Entertainment-wise, those of us who accept living here make due of what's available. The university has several different lecture series (in the past year I've seen Siddhartha Mukherjee (the emperor of all maladies - youv'e probably heard of him since he's from Boston), Maya Angelou, nobel laureate physicist John Mather. Living in a city of this size requires you to take advantage of most of the opportunities available, rather than being able to pick and choose. Music-wise this city is dead, which is quite unfortunate, but Pittsburgh is nearby...

Will you be renting or buying? and how much do you plan to spend? Selecting the right neighborhood in Morgantown can vastly improve your experience given less time in traffic and various other annoyances.
I'm not sure I agree with part of what you're saying. I worked in the NYC area for nearly 20 years, and although they obviously have many more offerings, they are far more difficult to attend and much more expensive. You can get to the plentiful concerts and plays we have here in 20 minutes or less, park free, and pay less than half the price for a good show. And music dead? I suppose it depends on the type of music you like. We have symphonic offerings here, bluegrass on a regular basis, and concerts sponsored by The University. Not as many rock concerts as you would have in a big city, and not as many country concerts a you would have in a more working class oriented community but we do get lots of music offerings here.

This is a university city. There are things to do here all the time. Plenty of them. My wife and I find it possible to be more active here than we were in the much more populous NYC area. For one thing, Central Park or Northern Westchester can't hold a candle to the awesome outdoor venues here.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I'm not sure I agree with part of what you're saying. I worked in the NYC area for nearly 20 years, and although they obviously have many more offerings, they are far more difficult to attend and much more expensive. You can get to the plentiful concerts and plays we have here in 20 minutes or less, park free, and pay less than half the price for a good show. And music dead? I suppose it depends on the type of music you like. We have symphonic offerings here, bluegrass on a regular basis, and concerts sponsored by The University. Not as many rock concerts as you would have in a big city, and not as many country concerts a you would have in a more working class oriented community but we do get lots of music offerings here.

This is a university city. There are things to do here all the time. Plenty of them. My wife and I find it possible to be more active here than we were in the much more populous NYC area. For one thing, Central Park or Northern Westchester can't hold a candle to the awesome outdoor venues here.
I disagree about the music. Morgantown has an awesome music scene, and this is coming from someone who has lived in Austin TX. Yes, Austin is better, but there are tons of great local bands and good indie bands come here. If you like huge mainstream bands that fill up stadiums, Morgantown does get them too, this city is only ok. If you like more underground bands who can fill up a venue than Morgantown is AWESOME.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:32 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times
Well, I might have overstated the music scene, given that I like indie rock - the 123 is the only real venue for such music, and the owners quit caring long ago to promote growth of local music - it's the same bands on rotation, or else start-up, awful, death-metal wannabes. The bluegrass is great, and I forgot to mention that in a nearby state park, every other weekend through the summer there is an outdoor bluegrass concert that is always a good time.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 PM

That is the Chestnut Ridge Park concert series, and admission is only $5 for some outstanding bluegrass music. My wife and I go to most of them. Prickett's Fort State Park near Fairmont has regular concerts too of very good quality for little money.

Here is this years lineup:

Chestnut Ridge Park - Events

One of them, Uncle Eddie and Robin, I know personally having been Ed's neighbor and former banjo student years ago.

2012 Prickett's Fort lineup:

Pricketts Fort

Most of their offerings are totally free.

You are often going to have to choose from among 2 or 3 great offerings on the same night, because the WV Public Theater season runs through the summer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown