Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 03:04 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post

I think the higher crime rate here is mostly property crime, not murders and that kind of thing. I never felt unsafe in Columbia.
"Welcome to Columbia, home invasions without the murder"

Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Where is Columbia? I know the general vicinity, but I'm not from the South and never plan to live further in the South than Morgantown. I think most people have to look at a map to find anywhere. I'd hope even for those going to DC or NYC, they'd look at a map to find the relevant route numbers.
Columbia lives in the shadow of Charleston which is just a better place.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:57 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
I wonder about the demographics of those who actually compile these lists.

Apparently they have a list of criteria, run various places through, and whatever comes out at the top makes the list. This is a great example of how data does not always equate to information!

I imagine whoever made this list consists of a group of young, healthy people. They completey overlooked the fact that Morgantown is extremely hilly, as much of WV is. My grandparents hail from there, and I remember many family trips there when I was a kid. I don't believe there's a single flat parking space in the whole city! This is a non-issue for the young and healthy, but extremely important for the older population. One could literally end up trapped on the first floor of a multi-story house, unable to even get down the steps and out to their mailbox. Shopping would be impossible. A retiree could end up dependent on a patchwork of "helpers" for shopping, transportation assistance, etc. Also, don't forget it snows in WV! Snow, sleet, and ice on steep roads and driveways doesn't exactly make for a paradise for those with mobility problems. I would drop Morgantown from the list!

Old 08-24-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerEngineer View Post
Columbia has more people so therefore there are more murders. I bet the suburbs like Lexington have much less murder or property crimes than anywhere in West Virginia. THere are just more affluent people in Columbia because it is a larger metro.

There aren't that many jobs in Morgantown compared to most places. At least good jobs.
That is not true. Morgantown has been ranked as having one of the best economies in the country, and being a great place to start a career or conduct business.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I don't think you are going to convince anybody Motown or anywhere in WV is more highly educated than anywhere else. WV has a hillbilly blue collar reputation.

There are defintely more college educated people in numbers in Cola than Motown, it isn't even close. Cola has a big university too, and good schools. Cola also has much better weather and close to the beach and Charleston which beats being close to Pittsburgh. LOL
What you think is irrelevant and what you perceive as the reputation of a place is irrelevant to the facts. In fact, assuming your statement is true which is very unproven, what people think is irrelevant to the facts.

Im not sure about the total numbers of college educated people in both cities. On a per capita bases Morgantown has a higher percentage, that much has been proven with sources in this thread.

If you want to show sources instead of make assumptions I invite you to do so. That is the educated thing to do.

Finally your opinion on weather, beaches, or Pittsburgh vs Charleston is not universal and that observation applies to you alone.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I wonder about the demographics of those who actually compile these lists.

Apparently they have a list of criteria, run various places through, and whatever comes out at the top makes the list. This is a great example of how data does not always equate to information!

I imagine whoever made this list consists of a group of young, healthy people. They completey overlooked the fact that Morgantown is extremely hilly, as much of WV is. My grandparents hail from there, and I remember many family trips there when I was a kid. I don't believe there's a single flat parking space in the whole city! This is a non-issue for the young and healthy, but extremely important for the older population. One could literally end up trapped on the first floor of a multi-story house, unable to even get down the steps and out to their mailbox. Shopping would be impossible. A retiree could end up dependent on a patchwork of "helpers" for shopping, transportation assistance, etc. Also, don't forget it snows in WV! Snow, sleet, and ice on steep roads and driveways doesn't exactly make for a paradise for those with mobility problems. I would drop Morgantown from the list!
Well the AARP rated Morgantown as a good city for old people, so apparently your personal opinion isnt shared by the research of an organization that represents millions of older people.

I know this may come as a surprise to you but older people have lived in cold, hilly, icey, and other such climates for thousands of years without the conveniences of modern technology and somehow survived without being trapped in their house.

People want different things in life. Perhaps you want a flat hot place, that doesnt mean everyone does.

BTW, data is how you get information.

Anyway, if you come across the demographics of who made this list please by all means let us know. Your assumption isnt very factual.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:19 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Columbia has more people so therefore there are more murders. I bet the suburbs like Lexington have much less murder or property crimes than anywhere in West Virginia. THere are just more affluent people in Columbia because it is a larger metro.

There aren't that many jobs in Morgantown compared to most places. At least good jobs.
I'm hard pressed to imagine where you're coming up with this. Did you come here to rag on Morgantown and compare us with Columbia? If so, you will go home disappointed because Morgantown beats Columbia in just about every statistical category except for number of people living there. Given the behavior of many of your residents, personally I'd be very happy if they stayed right there in Columbia. Our crime rate is MUCH lower than that of Columbia, and I'm talking per capita.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:20 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rushbo View Post
Cryhavoc is recommending old people move to this cold mountaineous treacherous city. The hospitals are THAT good. LOL

Cryhavoc, what you are really saying but won't say outright, is Motown is better than Cola because it has less black people. LOL

Robert KKK Byrd didn't get elected over and over in WVA for no reason. LOL
Where is the world are you coming up with that? Nobody except you has even thought about race here. We don't have any race problems to speak of here. Do you have them in Columbia? Why would you bring that up?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:00 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,646 times

Interesting to see others being smacked around for their opinions and lack of scientific facts.

To correct some misstatements:
I don't hate Morgantown. I like Morgantown for what it is, and since I am a huge WVU fan, living there would have it's pluses.
I don't hate So. Carolina. I would move to Charleston in a minute. Columbia is ok, but not my first choice, but I would probably prefer it to Motown (except for the WVU part)
As to my earlier post pointing out Columbia and LR AR, I was thinking two things - the high crime rates, and mostly that these are mid-size cities compared to Motown which is a large town. These places should be in totally different categories of size. Motown should be compared to towns like Charlottesville VA, Chapel Hill NC, Athens OH, etc.
.......and........Cry has been bashing So. WV ever since he/she's been on here, so he/she should not be so senstive of other's criticisms/dislikes related to Motown.

Last edited by RVAtoCNC; 08-25-2013 at 05:15 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post

Interesting to see others being smacked around for their opinions and lack of scientific facts.

To correct some misstatements:
I don't hate Morgantown. I like Morgantown for what it is, and since I am a huge WVU fan, living there would have it's pluses.
I don't hate So. Carolina. I would move to Charleston in a minute. Columbia is ok, but not my first choice, but I would probably prefer it to Motown (except for the WVU part)
As to my earlier post pointing out Columbia and LR AR, I was thinking two things - the high crime rates, and mostly that these are mid-size cities compared to Motown which is a large town. These places should be in totally different categories of size. Motown should be compared to towns like Charlottesville VA, Chapel Hill NC, Athens OH, etc.
.......and........Cry has been bashing So. WV ever since he/she's been on here, so he/she should not be so senstive of other's criticisms/dislikes related to Motown.
That is not true, I love S.WV. Stating truthful things to people looking for objective information is not bashing.

People are feel to dislike Morgantown I am merely pointing out that in this thread all criticism seems to be based purely off opinion, "I think I would prefer somewhere else," type statements rather than, "Anything Kiplinger said was wrong." In fact one poster is no longer a member for apparently trolling the forum, and recently another troll has emerged who is probably the same poster with another account. Instead of being jealous or upset that Morgantown is so great I wish people could be happy.

Nor am I sensitive. I just dont like statements that have no factual basis behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown