Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 04:06 PM

37 posts, read 48,675 times

Advertisements

Looks like the Morgantown K-Mart is closing now. Very sad to see this. It was convenient when you needed to go to the mall and get groceries, etc as well.

Hopefully they can find something to replace it. Given the fate of the rest of the Commons, it might take a while.

WDTV.COM 5 News: Morgantown Kmart Closing

Morgantown Kmart closing in Dec. - Financial and Business News - MENAFN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 04:35 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times
Thank goodness! This place is/has been terrible. The only reason people in Westover use this store is to get an item or two when going anywhere else is too cumbersome. But such trips are awful -- the employees are inept and the checkout takes a minimum 15 minutes, no matter how few people are in line.

The site may sit empty for a while, but further into the future this place will be valuable again - if the road that will eventually connect the new interchange (from the University Town Centre) passes through... For the short term, definitely a drain on the owner, unless Kmart had a contract to pay for a guaranteed term into the future.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:02 PM

273 posts, read 382,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Thank goodness! This place is/has been terrible. The only reason people in Westover use this store is to get an item or two when going anywhere else is too cumbersome. But such trips are awful -- the employees are inept and the checkout takes a minimum 15 minutes, no matter how few people are in line.

The site may sit empty for a while, but further into the future this place will be valuable again - if the road that will eventually connect the new interchange (from the University Town Centre) passes through... For the short term, definitely a drain on the owner, unless Kmart had a contract to pay for a guaranteed term into the future.
I think Kmart is coming to the end of their lease. I'm not certain though. This Kmart suffered from the bad choices of the Kmart corporation as well as poor local Managmemt. It was coming. We all new it.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:35 PM

32 posts, read 59,643 times
When I saw that AAA was moving to Suncrest Town Center I knew something was up in that Kmart plaza. Not surprised at all!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:14 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
There is great competiton in the retail sector, and that KMart simply did not cut the mustard. That chain's days seem numbered to me. As to the complex, there are still some great stores there but we have a new idiot involved with the County Commission who is pandering for support in Westover and seems likely to push for inclusion of that area into the town. When that happens, additional taxes will be levied on Mall occupants and more marginal businesses might close down. It is a shame, because nobody there wants to be in the city. Seemingly they will be forced into it.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:38 AM

491 posts, read 610,239 times
With the 2 new Walmarts, new Kroger, and Target, Kmart was simply squeezed out of the picture.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:59 PM

193 posts, read 281,845 times
I'm very anti-wal mart so I kind of root for any store to succeed but Kmart made it very hard to support. Every time I would go there the check out area always seem to smell like someone pee'd their pants. And they would never have more than 2 lanes open.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 AM

37 posts, read 57,159 times
That's too bad. I remember shopping there when it was new, and it was actually pretty nice, especially the grocery departments.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:55 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
It is amazing that it lasted as long as it did. I heard that the only reason they kept that store open that long was because the CEO is a WVU grad. The Charleston area still has 5 Kmarts, which is surprising considering how well the local Walmarts and Target do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown