Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 12:39 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
"Pop" isn't a yankee word. Yankees, which I'd have to assume are people from what we now call the northeast, say "soda". I guess Texans are too smart to get fooled by those little things that we intellectual, northern elites call facts.

https://tribkcpq.files.wordpress.com...pop-v-soda.png
A yankee to anyone from the South is simply someone who isnt from the South.....whether its California or New York.....Go to Alabama (nobody can argue Alabama's degree of Southerness) and ask just about anybody what a yankee is, theyre not gonna say, "someone from the Northeast"

Oh and, the very first time I heard the word "pop" was at my first job, Taco Bell when I was 16 back in TX...I didnt know what the hell the guy meant, said he was from Buffalo.....I'll always remember because we then had a long talk about those Cowboys-Bills Super Bowls...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 08:46 PM

75 posts, read 118,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
A yankee to anyone from the South is simply someone who isnt from the South.....whether its California or New York.....Go to Alabama (nobody can argue Alabama's degree of Southerness) and ask just about anybody what a yankee is, theyre not gonna say, "someone from the Northeast"
Are you serious bro? I was born and raised in Georgia. A yankee is any state above the Mason Dixon Line. We would never consider Californians yankees. I'm not sure where you got your info but......

Old 11-05-2015, 10:17 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine5811MP View Post
Are you serious bro? I was born and raised in Georgia. A yankee is any state above the Mason Dixon Line. We would never consider Californians yankees. I'm not sure where you got your info but......
and Im not sure where you got yours either, cause growin up in Texas, shoot we considered Oklahomans yankees!! (though that was just more to **** em off) but I also lived in MS for awhile, and yes, Californians were most def. considered yankees there.....Not to mention, California was a Union state.....

Old 11-06-2015, 05:49 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
This is the correct definition as understood by every native West Virginian I have ever known. I know people born and raised in the southern part of WV that won't even consider traveling north of the Mason-Dixon line. California is irrelevant to the discussion of the term "yankee." These people are a little leery of somebody from the northern panhandle.

I would guess that those southern West Virginians don't really care what Texans call Oklahoma natives.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-06-2015 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: Added

Old 11-10-2015, 07:04 PM

469 posts, read 576,986 times
Quote:
Born in Florida, raised in Georgia, spent tons more time in FL, and some in SC/TN and and I agree 100%. A "yankee", is basically anyone from above the M-D line, nothing west of Minnesota, Iowa, or Missouri (I don't consider the latter to be yankees btw). Never heard of anyone calling Californians yankees.

As to the accents in Morgantown...it depends really. I hear a lot of accents, it's a college town and there are people from everywhere. That being said...a lot of the folks I have met that are actually from Morgantown, and have lived here their whole lives, do have a kind of Southern sounding accent. It's not as pronounced as what you typically find way down in the deep South, it's a little different, but there is definitely a certain twang, so to speak. My better half, who spent her whole life in Southeast Florida (aka NYC's 6th borough), often comments about how people sound Southern to her here.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:32 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
Like others said, Morgantown is a college town and people from all over the state and country live there, including a good number from the greater Pittsburgh area so the accents you hear in Morgantown are really not representative of north-central West Virginia. Now get out toward Blacksville, you will hear a definite rural accent.

I grew up in north-central West Virginia myself and there is quite a range of accents, even among the natives. Some have a more southern sound, some have more of a general American sound. Remember this region of the country sits in a transitional zone so naturally you will hear a blending of accents. People who grew up on the same street can even sound different. It does seem like the older people have a more pronounced drawl though. Just cross the border into Greene and Fayette counties in PA and some even have that drawl too.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:44 AM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times
As a former resident of McDowell County-The Free State and my extensive travels to every nook of where WV, KY, Va, TN, and NC meet up at I don't classify us Southern as in Deep South Southern, but more in terms of Southern Appalachian/Hillbilly. The accents have the drawls, but there's a difference in tone and the way things are expressed. Its both the same and different at the same time. Now when I was in Pittsburgh last Dec., We were in a Drs. office and once I opened my mouth it really blew them away , a couple from Wheeling were amazed of the difference just from The Top to Bottom of WV.

I've had North Carolina people, mainly from Statesville South and East call me a Yankee, even though I sound more hillbilly than them.

I think the general term we used here once is anything North or South of Sutton is goin to be different.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:40 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
A friend up mine who grew up in Clarksburg attended Marshall University and his roommates were from Mingo and Logan counties. He said he couldn't understand half what they said at first because the accent was so different. Also the way of thinking is different, but they are good people.

I know some people in the northern panhandle rarely venture down state unless they passing through to go to the Carolinas, but a cousin who grew up in Weirton moved to Charleston briefly and it was a culture shock to her. But she grew to like it and even married a guy from there.

Interestingly some of the biggest defenders of the state I know come from the northern panhandle. A woman I know from Wellsburg lets people know that she was a proud Mountaineer. If you mess with West Virginia, then she'd let you have it!

Old 05-29-2021, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 640 times
I am middle class a Morgantown native (Suncrest Area) and I can tell you Motowners do say y’all. I think it is just not as pronounced or drawn out as the southern accent. For expamle “Are y’all goin’ together?” would be a typical way to ask that question in Motown without one single person commenting on or noticing that the y’all, that includes the person who asked the question. I never realized I used the word y’all in a sentence until I was in New York City and a native New Yorker pointed it out to me. I was slightly horrified. Another thing Motowners do is leave off the end of words ending on “ing”. In a small town outside Philadelphia I was asked if I was Southern ALL the time and I would say, “no, I am from WV” which would draw blank stares because to them West Virginia is south. I really tried to study how I said words because I could not understand where they heard an accent at all... they had the accent.. lol. I finally realized one big part of it was the way I would tend to leave the “ing” off the end of words. For example, I had come in from outside and someone asked me if it was still raining outside and without a thought I answered, “Yeah, it’s still rainin’ a little bit out there” to which I was promptly asked if I was from the south. After thinking and thinking about what I had said that could possibly make this person think I was from the South I discovered that I don’t say the full “ing” on an words with that ending, but in’ . Goin’, Comin’, Lookin’.... all said the same with the “in” ending. Then I thought about the other words I used “out there” “yeah” and I began to see how I was speaking differently than everyone else. Just wanted to share my experience as a Motowner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown