Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:19 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,052,264 times

Advertisements

In addition to the 5 new restaurants listed in the following article, add the brand new Shoney's in Sabraton and the very nice Dancing Fig on High Street, which utilizes a former bank building remarkably well converted into an upscale restaurant with professionally prepared food entrees.

Five New Restaurants to Try
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 02:50 PM

191 posts, read 306,495 times
no offense as i have not had either, but from everything ive been told and read, both Lebanese Bistro and Table 9 are very flawed. Both are said to be horribly overpriced. Service is said to be lacking at Table 9 on top of the incredibly small portions. Lebanese Bistro ive been told has some quality issues with some food coming off as not fresh at all. Just throwing this out there.

Woodburn Shanks, outside of crappy out of the way location is very fairly priced and excellent when it comes to their meat. The sides leave much to be desired.

Garcia's i have not been too but i was a huge fan of their food from their street cafe they had last summer.

Primantis was very good in my first experience there as well.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:59 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,423,159 times
Our food at Lebanese Bistro was great, but the atmosphere was a little weird. It was very quiet, the waiter seemed almost timid, and it just had an eerie calm to it. I dunno, it was just one of those quiets that you can't help but notice, and there were other patrons there when we ate.

I've been wanting to try Table 9 since it opened. It does seem a bit overpriced, but that wouldn't deter me from at least trying it. I haven't heard anything negative about it yet, but then again, I haven't heard much in general.

I didn't even know Woodburn Shanks existed. I might try that soon.

Garcia's used to be on Pleasant St past 123. They've moved up by Hotel Morgan now so hopefully that gives them a bit more exposure. I've heard good things about the food and people there.

Primanti's is Primanti's. I happen to love it.

One more to mention - Real Juice Bar. It's next to 123 and is what it sounds like, a juice bar. My fiancee wants to try it, but I've overheard people close to it that they're losing money (not unusual for a new restaurant/store) and are trying to compensate for it by cutting corners in their recepies to save on costs. I hope not, but that came from someone who worked there. I'll still try it, though.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Our food at Lebanese Bistro was great, but the atmosphere was a little weird. It was very quiet, the waiter seemed almost timid, and it just had an eerie calm to it. I dunno, it was just one of those quiets that you can't help but notice, and there were other patrons there when we ate.

I've been wanting to try Table 9 since it opened. It does seem a bit overpriced, but that wouldn't deter me from at least trying it. I haven't heard anything negative about it yet, but then again, I haven't heard much in general.

Garcia's used to be on Pleasant St past 123. They've moved up by Hotel Morgan now so hopefully that gives them a bit more exposure. I've heard good things about the food and people there.

One more to mention - Real Juice Bar. It's next to 123 and is what it sounds like, a juice bar. My fiancee wants to try it, but I've overheard people close to it that they're losing money (not unusual for a new restaurant/store) and are trying to compensate for it by cutting corners in their recepies to save on costs. I hope not, but that came from someone who worked there. I'll still try it, though.
My wife wants to try the juice bar as well. It is a nice concept, but that isn't the best location for a business like that. I'd think a business would have to be a "draw" to do well in that spot. They'd likely do better on High Street, but spots there are at a premium and probably expensive for a startup business.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:11 AM

334 posts, read 496,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post

There's a reason restaurants on the Wharf District do not last long. It's a shame too since WVU headquarters (One Waterfront Place) are close by. Heck there even use to be a Subway there a few years back and it CLOSED. Only Oliverio's seem to be doing fine there.

I've tried Woodburn Shanks and the meat is excellent but you're correct about the lack of ideal sides.

Primanti's you even love it or hate it. Depending on your viewpoint on Pittsburgh, in general, I guess.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:44 PM

37 posts, read 57,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
There's a reason restaurants on the Wharf District do not last long. It's a shame too since WVU headquarters (One Waterfront Place) are close by. Heck there even use to be a Subway there a few years back and it CLOSED. Only Oliverio's seem to be doing fine there.
Why do so few places in the Wharf District succeed? I stayed at the hotel down there last year (which was very nice compared to the worn and outdated Hotel Morgan) and was really disappointed to find out how quiet it was in the evenings. I had thought it was going to be an up and coming part of town, but there were only two restaurants open, and lots of empty spaces.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:56 PM

354 posts, read 506,089 times
The right kind of development at the old Premier lot could tie that area of downtown with the Wharf district. Instead, it will be a Sheetz which will only further segregate the 2 areas.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:00 PM

354 posts, read 506,089 times
Woodburn shanks: Best BBQ is Morgantown. I can't believe it took this look to get Kansas City style BBQ here.

Garcia's latin market: Incredible. Everyone needs to go there. Best tacos in town.

Real juice bar: Quality ingredients, but expensive. They've been lined up to the door every time I've been there.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Music View Post
Why do so few places in the Wharf District succeed? I stayed at the hotel down there last year (which was very nice compared to the worn and outdated Hotel Morgan) and was really disappointed to find out how quiet it was in the evenings. I had thought it was going to be an up and coming part of town, but there were only two restaurants open, and lots of empty spaces.
There are four restaurants there now, plus the eateries in the Waterfront Hotel. The Brew Pub and Oliverios are always busy. It isn't as busy as some of the other spots in town because none of the restaurants there really cater to students.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
The right kind of development at the old Premier lot could tie that area of downtown with the Wharf district. Instead, it will be a Sheetz which will only further segregate the 2 areas.
The way to better tie the Wharf into High Street is by making the rail trail more easily accessible from High Street and providing better lighting along the rail trail. They could also make better use of sidewalks on University Ave., but remember this... there are competing political interests involved, and the Old Guard doesn't necessarily want to tie High Street in with anything else. They're also the same folks who protect the student slumlords, who are a major political force within the city itself. They are quickly losing clout though, because The University is starting to take matters into their own hands to insure that students have great housing options. More and more the student slums are being replaced with terrific new developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown