Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:45 AM

120 posts, read 151,622 times

Advertisements

Color me unimpressed. If we're going to bring in chain restaurants at least bring in something like Cheesecake Factory or TGI Friday's? Do we really need another Starbucks, craft place or beauty place? Bring some businesses to this town that the majority of people will find useful and actually do business with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 09:03 AM

491 posts, read 610,633 times
That's an interesting concept with the merging of the cities. All the municipalities can keep their neighborhood elected officials for small, community specific tasks while the entire region can elect a overarching Mayor and Counsil that will fight for the best interests of the surrounding area.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:51 AM

891 posts, read 1,054,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
I've read that studies predict major business growth to the western side of the county. The city will likely see a large increase in student housing and a decrease in business. At some point we should start to think about "one" Morgantown. If Morgantown, Cheat Lake, Granville, Westover, and Star City combined, we would become the second largest city in the state.

Ever since I first stepped foot in this Area/County/State that was my first thought, "why hasnt Morgantown annexed all these wannabe towns?!" instead it goes the opposite direction with Westover fightin tooth and nail to get domain over the mall.....and the worst part is, there is not even a grassroots movement for annexation, least not one that I could find.......

Old 07-11-2015, 11:50 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
Ever since I first stepped foot in this Area/County/State that was my first thought, "why hasnt Morgantown annexed all these wannabe towns?!" instead it goes the opposite direction with Westover fightin tooth and nail to get domain over the mall.....and the worst part is, there is not even a grassroots movement for annexation, least not one that I could find.......
Annexation needs to start with the areas to be annexed wanting that to happen and that is a tall order since it inevitably means they will be paying to do things from which they get limited benefit. Why would a paint shop or a shoe store feel the need to support a public park system, or build sidewalks in locations remote from their locations? And, why would they willingly subject themselves to added restrictions and controls that weren't in place then they opened their businesses? You can't drag them into the city against their will. The only reason Westover got away with annexing the Mall property was because the owners and businesses there didn't fight against it in court. They surely could have, and likely would have prevailed or made it so expensive for Westover to continue they would have abandoned the issue. The county elected somebody to the Commission who didn't really respect the rights of others and he pushed it through, virtually unopposed. The former commissioner was sensitive to the rights of the business owners, who were quite content under the former arrangement.

There is nothing wrong with a Morgantown with 33,000 permanent residents and 25,000 additional residents most of the year. Even without annexation, that figure is sure to grow significantly in the future. The county can assume the functions it is supposed to assume in the unincorporated areas. Those areas are doing just fine currently. And, as to the argument that they get some services from the city, that is true but they also pay for those services and help the city offset overhead expenses in doing so. Nobody forced the city to provide water services, and in fact, if they hadn't done so willingly it might have been incentive for voluntarily being annexed. That ship has sailed. For the most part, fire service is provided by volunteer fire companies in unincorporated areas.

Mon County is over 100,000 permanent residents now and growing, and that is in a geographic area 1/3 the size of Kanawha. The area is doing exceptionally well, and surrounding areas are doing well too.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 07-12-2015 at 12:03 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 05:58 PM

51 posts, read 56,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Gee, I didn't realize the area was dead until UTC came along. Good to know

Yes, a reliance on low wage or non livable wage jobs are bad for an area since the rest of us have to subsidize these businesses by picking up the tab.
Hmm... I didn't realize that having additional businesses and jobs in the area was bad. Sure would be nice if there were a bunch college students around that could use a minimum wage job to earn a few extra bucks, which they would inevitably turn around back into the local economy. Learn something new every day.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:21 PM

The distribution center will cater to regular, blue collar employees. The other businesses will offer minimum wage jobs or jobs where tips are a big part of the wage structure. Although our area has a VERY highly educated population, easily the best educated in our state, not everyone is of high educational attainment. There is a place for those jobs too, and increasingly, due to reduced state subsidy, WV students desiring the state's best educational environment must rely on loans, or pay higher tuition, making those minimum wage jobs necessary for them.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:51 PM

191 posts, read 306,405 times
I do agree that there is an oversaturation of beauty type shops. There isnt many craft stores, however they arent really in high demand

Why none of these developments include something like a DAVE AND BUSTERS or something similar that provides entertainment options that the town desperately needs is beyond me. Lack of common sense at its finest

Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 AM

891 posts, read 1,054,153 times
yea a Dave and Busters would be awesome.....I'd also settle for a Movie theatre/bar/restaurant combo that are growin in popularity all over the country....I LOVE bein able to drink a beer and have burgers n fries with a movie as opposed to $8 popcorn and $6 cokes

Last edited by Colt .45; 07-14-2015 at 12:46 AM..

Old 07-14-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
yea a Dave and Busters would be awesome.....I'd also settle for a Movie theatre/bar/restaurant combo that are growin in popularity all over the country....I LOVE bein able to drink a beer and have burgers n fries with a movie as opposed to $8 popcorn and $6 cokes
Now, that is something I agree with. Doing that with the old Warner together with a major makeover would be great.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:32 PM

191 posts, read 306,405 times
Quote:

Ive been hearing more about these places recently and would be down for one. Entertainment in Morgantown is stagnant. No lazer tag, no minature golf, no real arcades which are resurging in popularity. The lack of options is mind boggling. Ive yet to obtain any form of explanation why these types of business seem to be avoided like the plague here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown