Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:24 PM

251 posts, read 880,672 times

Advertisements

Uniontown seems a bit depressed to me and i would rather stay in west va, still has that southern feel. I am looking at kingwood now,thanks for the suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:25 PM

Does that area have a newspaper? be it daily,weekly or biweekly.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:38 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,577 times
There is the Preston County Journal, but there are better resources online to look into whatever you want. It's more like a weekly local newsletter than a real paper. All of the news stands in Preston County sell The Dominion Post out of Morgantown. If you are looking for real estate adverts in the Morgantown area, Homes & Land Magazine is usually the first place people look. The have an online presence HERE.

And to agree with DK, Bruceton Mills and maybe Kingwood are great places to consider if you want to be close, yet far away. Check out Goeshon Road, too.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:47 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times
Uniontown and many other parts of western PA are VERY economically depressed, you are probably better off to stay right in Morgantown or towards Preston County like you mentioned...one word of caution though, it is quite rural out there so it will take some adjusting if you aren't used to that lifestyle.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:04 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
What I've noticed with the state surplus money and the thriving 'overall' economy of Wv is this, everywhere some money can be invested it is being done. Federal money is being pumped into Preston Memorial Hospital because of the military base near Kingwood, Camp Dawson. Money is seen in the new car dealerships, the small strip malls and the overall landscapes of the rural cities.

Uniontown is the bottom of the Pittsburgh market...has 2 new campuses for education, Penn States Eberly and Carnegie-Mellon..Infrastructure in place for several large scale factories in their industral park... Efforts have been underway in Greene County to help it along with giant new coal mines and a prison, as is that same case in Bruceton/Hazelton of Wv.
Much of this is slow, because of the importation of skilled labor to make it work...the kids in the Wv schools are slow to adapt a new mind-set because of their parents prejudices...having seen no forward progress for a generation has left a mental depression of defeat and failure.
The best pay jobs are in medical support and mining...trucking...construction and sevices...Education programs exist in every direction to qualify labor for these careers.
As the economy strengthens, welfare is pushed away...being replaced by meaningful work.
5 minutes from Morgantown is the community of Thistledown...prices begin at about $240k...an old strip mine changed into a most beautiful subdivision...wooded and pristine.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM

Yeah, i am starting to like morgantown area more and more lol, i love rural living so it won't be a problem for us. we would be looking to rent somewhere so yeah the newspapers would be needed. thanks for all the help.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:35 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times
There is a lot of building on route 705 near the hospitals. Very nice condos,town houses (and possibly apartments). Morgantown is not so large that it's overwhelming,but has many cultural events. I'd choose it over Greene county or Fayette co--not much to do in those areas,but on the plus side housing would be a little cheaper.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:04 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlack View Post
Me and my wife and daughter are now looking at moving near morgantown, i'm not one for the big nightlife stuff and the traffic but i also do not want to be in a suburb i despise them, where could i look at moving to thats out of the traffic and hustle and bustle of everyday big city life but withing 20-30 minutes of morgantown? i want more mountainous area,rugged,rural type place. near some state parks etc etc. something for the kids to do but close enough for me and the wife to do things in morgantown.
The Cheat Lake area is nice and not suburban in the classic sense. It's just five minutes from downtown, is right at the foot of a large mountain, has a beautiful lake right next door, and away from the hussle and bustle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown