Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:02 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I worked black Friday at Hollister in the Huntington Mall. I left Elkins around 10 AM and got to the Huntington mall around 1 PM. When I got there and was walking in the entrance closest to our store, I noticed people with U-Hauls backing them up to the entrance. I was blown away. Who goes to the mall and buys so much stuff that you need a U-Haul to carry it all away?
Sounds like people stocking up to sell on ebay, flea markets, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 05:24 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Wv is part of a developing region...good base and on the up swing....

Shock Market has hurt us though...what is not being mentioned is the loss to the public pension funds...lost 2 billion of retirement money and nobody is talking about it...kinda reminds me of 1978.

The state was just recovering from that fiasco and now the old one's are getting hit in the pocketbook again.

Outcome? Simple...teachers will not be able to retire at 30 years service...will be forced to man the positions until the bank says "OK, go to the rocking chair...

Will relieve another problem too...of working after retirement...and in a way paying them double for their work. retirement check plus wages...

Old 12-03-2008, 05:36 AM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Our store did $90,000+ that day. We beat all the stores in Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia. That's right, we even beat all the Hollister stores in Columbus, Cleveland, and Cinnci...

That had to help out sales tax collections
My wife and I have done Black Friday at the Huntington Mall the last few years and this was by far the most crowded I have seen that place. It took us 2-3 times longer to find a parking space and once we got inside, it was so hard to actually look at things in the stores because of all of the people filing in and out. We were there an hour and left because we couldn't do the shopping that we needed to because it was so full. And it just kept getting worse the longer we were there. The Disney Store had opened at midnight and they said people were lined up all of the way out the entrance where they are building the new theaters. They said that people were lined up in front of Target and the line stretched all of the way to Home Depot! I heard Kohl's and Circuit City were packed as well. My cousins went to Best Buy at 2:30 in the morning and did the method DK was talking about. They'd stay out for a while and load up the cars, then go back and unload everything and go out for some more. Not sure how late they stayed out but it was well after 10:00 P.M. It amazed me though in the number of people out there and how long they stayed out there.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:03 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times
Thought this link would be approprite for a "recession" thread: Girl from iconic Great Depression photo: 'We were ashamed' - CNN.com

The grit of folks back then was amazing. To think how soft and lazy we've become as a whole, it's just depressing.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:05 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times
Geez, I hate it when I misspell a word... it should be "appropriate".

Old 12-03-2008, 02:44 PM

404 posts, read 1,188,252 times
If I lost sleep over every misspelled word, I wouldn't sleep much! I'm part of the early spell check generation! VERY early. lol

Old 12-03-2008, 04:22 PM

Isn't 'approprite a Past Tense Version in another dialect? Should be...

Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Our office manager said 'Black Friday began at 3 am for her and her mother and ended at 2 am the next morning...(proves that no credible logic exists in shopping at all)...I was impressed that we had so many stores to visit in our local area...

Their strategy was to shop until they dropped, return and pile the goodies on the living room floor...return to the stores for more loot and do the same...

I asked, "How many trips did you guys make?" She simply said, "Six."
She thanked me for the 4 day weekend...I replied.."I think you really needed it."

Still bewildered....
All this after cooking a thanksgiving meal that could not be beat (except with a machete if you had one).

_____
I've never seen Uhauls GHO but I've seen strategic relaying of mini vans to avoid parking spaces altogether and DH unloading the loot at home while she recharges her coffee mug with the engine running. The rest of the 'team' were standing on lines while others were running around to fill the carts. I'm afraid I might be giving Tbailey some ideas about competitive shopping strategies. Get your marshall helmet on & turtle wax the credit card. hahahahaa

I'd rather hide out with a book. Get my shopping done in july before people turn rabid with their interpretation of peace and goodwill.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:01 AM

HB: I gave Robin the day off before Thanksgiving to develop the mind set and put the plan together...PPPPP. and yes, all was done after a gigantic food splurge on Turkey Day.

This is certainly the greatest time of the year...

Me? I don't shop at all...best solution and stress free...take that back...Hospise Thrift Shoppe...got 2 small items for $1.00

Old 12-04-2008, 06:26 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Gift cards were usually the better plan if the summer shopping slipped passed me. Amazon for computer people, home depot for the bro in law, gamestop for the kiddies. Jcpenney for the older folks because after christmas sales go much further, it's guaranteed to fit, and making a whole other outing after the holidays was the better gift.

Then again nails on a chalk board whining brings out the grinch in me...

I got so annoyed at my family arguing over christmas one year I shopped at toys r us. I included in my christmas cards the list of toys that were donated to toys for tots in their names. Dropped everything in their respective bins at the post office and turned off the phone. Ho Ho Ho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown