Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:17 AM

938 posts, read 2,898,577 times

Advertisements

I'll tell you what...you chose a GREAT time to visit. The weather is beautiful this weekend. Sunny, upper 60s/lower 70s, no humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 02:53 PM

21 posts, read 50,626 times
Well, we're here! Nice out and the view was awesome coming into the town. We're about to go out driving just to look around. We are at Earl L Core rd. and WV-7. If there are any places to see in particular, please let me know. I will be doing a little exploring tomorrow and would like a couple of ideas of places to go and things to do with my 8-yr old. Thanks!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChevalierNoir View Post
Well, we're here! Nice out and the view was awesome coming into the town. We're about to go out driving just to look around. We are at Earl L Core rd. and WV-7. If there are any places to see in particular, please let me know. I will be doing a little exploring tomorrow and would like a couple of ideas of places to go and things to do with my 8-yr old. Thanks!
Sounds like you are on the edge of town in Sabraton. What does she like to do? I don't have kids, so I am clueless as to what the popular activities are in town for youth.

If she likes the outdoors, you can go to Cooper's Rock tomorrow and hike around a little bit. Just get on I-68 and head East...it's got its own highway exit.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
I'm clueless on the kid thing also for MoTown.
Only suggestions I have:
BOPARC Parks and Facilities (http://www.boparc.org/parksfacilities/details.php?iFacility=3 - broken link) (Krepps Park)
Park is across the street from the Coliseum as well as the Erickson Alumni Center near the Evansdale Campus of WVU

Here is a list of parks
BOPARC - Parks and Facilities Index (http://www.boparc.org/parksfacilities/index.php - broken link)

Anything here?:
Greater Morgantown Convention and Visitors Bureau or
Greater Morgantown Convention and Visitors Bureau

Cheat Lake Trails & Parks (http://www.cheatlake.com/trails.asp - broken link)
or Cheat Lake Today../Home

Old 03-08-2009, 06:08 PM

Ok we're back from driving around. Yea, we're in Sabraton. We had fun getting lost trying to find Suncrest and the Cheater Lake neighborhoods.
Our impressions so far are that if we want to live in town, we might want to stay closer to the cheater lake area if we can find something without stretching our budget. It feels a whole lot quieter and out of the way but might be pretty pricey. I would actually prefer finding a place on the outskirts of town but taking routes home that aren't too busy. One of the stores my wife will be overseeing is right by us here on Earl L. Cove. I can see how the traffic would be a nightmare! Wow.

Someone in the other thread had a list of the neighborhoods (can I call them that?) and said Bakers Ridge was on a huge hill. I wasn't sure what his definition of huge was, but we went up some streets on the hill here behind us and I can't imagine driving those in the winter, much less anything steeper. I'm an okay driver on slick roads but won't want to push my luck on hills especially heavily trafficked ones.

So, I think I'm going to check out Kingwood Pike, Goshen Road areas and then homes in Preston County tomorrow. I don't mind a little bit of a commute at all, even up to a half-hour's commute.

We will be stopping by Cooper's Rock. I haven't been able to hike since I had knee surgery last winter and I'm gearing to go again, so my son and I will check that out.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:13 PM

If you don't mind a small commute, do check out Preston Co. You can get a decent deal on a house out there. Bruceton Mills is a rapidly growing community filled with a lot of younger families that can't deal with the $400,000 houses in town. Prices in Mo'Town proper are pretty ridiculous. It's what happens when everyone wants to live here. Also, stop in at that Sheetz station down the street from your hotel and pick up one of those Homes and Land magazines. It will give you an idea of what the market is like. Hundreds of detailed housing adverts. It might give you an idea of certain areas you want to visit.

If you want some good down-home cookin' tomorrow morning near Cheat Lake, hit up Ruby & Ketchy's Diner. It's two exits down on I-68 on the way to Cooper's Rock. I love that dadgum place. The best blackberry pie I've ever had.

I love the "neighborhood" comment. It's one of those unique Morgantown things. Every nook and cranny has a nickname. Downtown, Westover, The Mileground, Pierpont, Tyrone, The Wharf District, Suncrest, Evansdale, The Flatts, Brookhaven, Goshon, South Park, Chestnut Ridge, Star City, Fieldcrest...it cracked me up when I first moved here. There are as many named neighborhoods as a major US city...

If you are going near Pittsburgh on the way home, take your kid to Dave and Buster's at The Waterfront up there. It's heaven to a kid. Chucky Cheese times 10.

Last edited by WVUPharm2007; 03-08-2009 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 06:45 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Couple years ago looked at houses/condos/etc between MoTown and Cheat Lake. There are a lot of them on and off of Pierpoint Road. I think it's a real nice area and quieter than many other areas.

In the morning when you head up I-68 toward Coopers Rock, etc. get off at the Pierpont Exit (having a mind blank - after you exit I think you will want to turn Right onto Pierpont. Just do NOT turn toward the shopping plaza with Lowe's/BooksAMillion - turn in the other direction). Drive on that road checking things out to see how you like it. Shortly after you cross the big iron bridge over Cheat Lake (you can see the bridge from the interstate) drive a couple more miles and it will bring you back to I-68 (to the exit you would take to get to Cheat Lake).

You may want to rent a condo or something for a while after moving to MoTown that will allow you time to decide on the area in which you would like to move. There are some condos in Greystone-On-The-Lake that sit on the 2nd tee of Mountainview Golf Course. Gorgeous, quiet area and very nice condos. They were apartments, however, as tenants move out, they are selling them as condos. Know of them renting them out on a month to month basis on occassion (such as one lady is renting one while her new house is getting built). Don't know if they would be big enough for you but you may want to check them out. These people are the owners: Metro Property Management's (304) 292-0900 or call their sister who is a realtor and handles the sale of the condos. (She can also tell you all about the MoTown area). Call Ann Marie at Howard Hanna Premier Prop 304- 594-0115. I'd probably give Ann Marie a call before Metro.

It might be worth a shot to just check it out and see what it is like.

You really need to get with a real estate agent to show you around and introduce you to the different areas (call Ann Marie or call Beth at Old Colony in MoTown -- real nice gal and knowledgeable).

You may find Preston County a little too rural for your taste.
You may also want to head down I-79 toward Fairmont or even the Bridgeport/Clarksburg area.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Thistle Down at Goshen Rd on I-79...best we have..rural, safe and friendly

Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
In the morning when you head up I-68 toward Coopers Rock, etc. get off at the Pierpont Exit (having a mind blank - after you exit I think you will want to turn Right onto Pierpont. Just do NOT turn toward the shopping plaza with Lowe's/BooksAMillion - turn in the other direction). ...
You're right, vec... a left turn (when you're headed east towards Cheat Lake) takes you back toward the Lowe's shopping center; a right turn eventually ends up on the bridge over the lake.

When you get to Cheat Lake, if you turn left on 857 you'll be on a road that quickly gets "out in the country", where there is a fair amount of non-tract housing.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:27 PM

Ok, I've got the Homes and Land magazine. My wife's checking it out and marking places I'll swing by tomorrow. I don't think we'll find Preston Co. too rural, but it's something we'll have to see. We're pretty excited and I'm planning on sending my resume out to a few places and making some phone calls as well, just in case I might get the chance to talk to a future employer...who knows.

Btw, if anyone knows of any positions for a Network Admin / Systems Admin at a healthcare facility or anywhere else, or any local recruiters that youve worked with, I'd appreciate the recommendations. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown