Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 07:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Pay it off.
We're just paying an extra $1000 a month (our monthly bill is $2117 - so we send $3117) and that knocks off 15 years and over $220,000 off our INTEREST.

Do the math yourself on a mortgage calculator if you need convincing. It's sick.
How much interest you aren't paying is irrelevant. In the end it is the overall difference in net future value that counts.

I just did do the math myself and it is better to not pay it off. My assumptions: 4% loan, 8% investment return in taxable accounts, $2000 mortgage payment, $1000 extra to either pay down (like in the quote above) or invest at 8%.

Pay Down Mortgage or Invest Mortgage Calculator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Olivier View Post
no gambling involved like on the stock markets where you sometimes gain a lot and then loose more.
American companies are in the business of making money. We as investors stand to benefit by investing with those companies. If we look at the past ten years (a small period in the overall scheme of things) we'll see a pretty flat performance. We need to look at a longer time line and the whole philosophy of why we invest. Our American financial system is based and geared on American business working with investors. Those businesses have a lot of PhDs and MBAs working to make money for your benefit.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 AM

106,571 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How much interest you aren't paying is irrelevant. In the end it is the overall difference in net future value that counts.

I just did do the math myself and it is better to not pay it off. My assumptions: 4% loan, 8% investment return in taxable accounts, $2000 mortgage payment, $1000 extra to either pay down (like in the quote above) or invest at 8%.

Good luck getting 8% conservatively going forward.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:44 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Pay it off.
We're just paying an extra $1000 a month (our monthly bill is $2117 - so we send $3117) and that knocks off 15 years and over $220,000 off our INTEREST.

Do the math yourself on a mortgage calculator if you need convincing. It's sick.
You might look at doing a refi - your interest rate must be through the roof! I send in an extra $200 a month, and that will knock 8 years off our loan. An extra $1000 should do a lot more than 15 years.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Good luck beating inflation with 1% to 3% ROI.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:

Where you live is part of the equation too. In a state like California, we get to deduct the interest against our state income taxes, and if you are in a high bracket (easy to do in CA), that is an added benefit.

My previous state, Ohio, didn't allow the mortgage interest deduction against state taxes, so not as beneficial.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:22 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:

Good points. Realistically the decision spans a couple financial topics and isn't just about returns.

1) Liquidity. Make sure you have enough before paying down mortgage.
2) Portfolio balance, how much do you already have in stocks, bonds etc.
3) Rates of Return

In my situation my mortgage is 5.5% and paying it down is risk free...or a Beta of 0. It's not a fair comparison to stock market returns. My remaining balance is low enough that refinancing is not economically feasible so I have been dumping extra cash onto my mortgage since I have enough of a slush fund to cover liquidity if I'm laid off and have a heavy stock exposure already.

I will have my mortgage retired in 3 more years and at that time will convert the 1500/mo I pay into stock investments. It's hard to pass up 5.5% risk free right now. It will also allow me to carry less of a liquidity fund since I won't have that 1500/mo. payment so I will re-allocate some of that to higher risk/yield investments at that time.

Good discussion all, no one right answer but at least people are thinking about options and saving some money instead of trying to suck all the equity out like they were.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:

You have to compare apples to apples. Paying off the mortgage is a risk free return. Right now, I don't think you can get a risk free 8% return anywhere.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 AM

444 posts, read 1,249,901 times
Life happens....

100% of foreclosures have a mortgage.

Pay it off...no question.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
That's what I've been trying to say to you, looks like you finally got it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages