Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 36,345 times

Advertisements

I have an existing mortgage with FW and am thinking of refinancing with them.
Why with them? Normally I have to pay ~2% NY mortgage tax on my entire new loan amount, which will cost me ~$6500. I know there's a program (document) called CEMA - Consolidation, Extension and Modification Agreement where you will only have to pay the tax on any new money (any increase in the loan amount above what you originally borrowed). Not all banks do CEMA and those who do it - agree on it only if they keep the mortgage, i.e. you refi with them.
I wonder if WF does CEMA and if this no-cost refi is the same idea, just different name.
Question to those from NY state - did you have to pay the NY mortage tax under WF streamline refi?
Also - how do I find out who holds my mortgage?

Thank you,
Uri

Last edited by ymandj; 01-14-2012 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: added a question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 AM

6 posts, read 38,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymandj View Post
Also - how do I find out who holds my mortgage?
Ask your mortgage servicer.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 AM

37 posts, read 152,035 times
Just completed an on-line closing for the 3-step refinance with Wells Fargo yesterday. It took only 38 minutes on-line with the coordinator and a closing attorney. We dropped another 1.5% off our existing loan and at no cost, it was a no-brainer. Praise for Wells Fargo

Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 10,759 times
Default easy refinance

I'm also going through the WF 3-step, no fee refinance right now. I've had a little confusion and found some surprises, but everything has been explained to my satisfaction.

After I chose the option I wanted (20-yr., 30-yr., etc.), an agent asked me questions on the phone and filled out paperwork for me. Then a loan officer got in touch and was very helpful explaining the next steps. I received a welcome package of papers in the mail.

Then I started having 2nd thoughts about the higher payments I'd be facing with a 20-year, so I asked if it was too late to switch. The loan officer just switched it to a 30-year over the phone. I got a second welcome kit with the new rate (4.0%)

A big package arrived with settlement documents to sign. Only 2 of them need to be notarized. I plan to go with my wife to a WF branch and use their notary at no charge.

The WF loan officer in Alabama has been very helpful with answering my concerns. The settlement statement does show a lot of fees (title services, govt. recording charges), but these are just FYI and there is a credit that you see on the statement that covers all of them.

I also panicked when I saw that I would be borrowing about $1500 more than my most recent unpaid principal balance. I thought "aha, so that's how they make their money!" But the loan officer explained that the extra $$ was the interest I would not yet have paid at the time when the new loan funds. (Each month you pay the previous month's interest charges, so they basically add your current month's interest to the amount you're borrowing--actually they add 2 month's interest, since you also skip one payment.)

So while I'm not finished yet, everything seems in order, and my monthly payments will drop $180...however this is misleading, because I'll also be spreading them over 30 years again, and I'm already 5 years into my current mortgage. So that accounts for some of the reduction. I plan to set up auto withdrawn payments and pay more each month, to go toward the principal (and reducing the length of the loan). Hope this helps someone.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 PM

If you can afford it, go with their auto bi-weekly payment plan. This should shave off nearly 7 years of payment, which will put you below that of your current mortgage, plus save $ on interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob468 View Post
I'm also going through the WF 3-step, no fee refinance right now. I've had a little confusion and found some surprises, but everything has been explained to my satisfaction.

After I chose the option I wanted (20-yr., 30-yr., etc.), an agent asked me questions on the phone and filled out paperwork for me. Then a loan officer got in touch and was very helpful explaining the next steps. I received a welcome package of papers in the mail.

Then I started having 2nd thoughts about the higher payments I'd be facing with a 20-year, so I asked if it was too late to switch. The loan officer just switched it to a 30-year over the phone. I got a second welcome kit with the new rate (4.0%)

A big package arrived with settlement documents to sign. Only 2 of them need to be notarized. I plan to go with my wife to a WF branch and use their notary at no charge.

The WF loan officer in Alabama has been very helpful with answering my concerns. The settlement statement does show a lot of fees (title services, govt. recording charges), but these are just FYI and there is a credit that you see on the statement that covers all of them.

I also panicked when I saw that I would be borrowing about $1500 more than my most recent unpaid principal balance. I thought "aha, so that's how they make their money!" But the loan officer explained that the extra $$ was the interest I would not yet have paid at the time when the new loan funds. (Each month you pay the previous month's interest charges, so they basically add your current month's interest to the amount you're borrowing--actually they add 2 month's interest, since you also skip one payment.)

So while I'm not finished yet, everything seems in order, and my monthly payments will drop $180...however this is misleading, because I'll also be spreading them over 30 years again, and I'm already 5 years into my current mortgage. So that accounts for some of the reduction. I plan to set up auto withdrawn payments and pay more each month, to go toward the principal (and reducing the length of the loan). Hope this helps someone.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-fan View Post
If you can afford it, go with their auto bi-weekly payment plan. This should shave off nearly 7 years of payment, which will put you below that of your current mortgage, plus save $ on interest.
Is there a charge for the bi-weekly plan?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Is there a charge for the bi-weekly plan?
There shouldn't be. In the refinance packet is the application to set this up.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:33 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
It says it's free on their website.. you have to have a Wells Fargo checking account though.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It says it's free on their website.. you have to have a Wells Fargo checking account though.
Not true. I just have a mortgage with them and the bi-weekly payment service was free.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Oh you're right.. it says ANY checking account.. Sorry.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/mortgage/...pare/preferred
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages