Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:47 AM

25 posts, read 125,859 times

Advertisements

My husband and I plan to buy our first home (first time buyer) or a new to be built.. We need tips on how to shop for a mortgage loan ..

Any tip is appreciated .

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:07 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
First you should check your credit to know how good or bad it is. Once you know how strong of a buyer you are, then you can know what to expect. APR is the simplest way to shop for a loan, the lowest APR, the better. But you should also factor in monthly PMI on an FHA and Conventional mortgage. In my experience, Conventional loans have slightly higher rates, but the insurance premium is lower. In the end, going Conventional can sometimes save you money. If you need more closing help and don't have much money saved, then FHA might be the only option.

Did you have a question in particular about the process? It's a very open question with many variables. If your credit is good, expect the best options, if your credit isn't the best, then there is no use in comparing it with the advertised rates because you won't get those.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
I went with a broker for both buying and refinancing. They can find you a loan with lower closing costs vs the big banks. But I'd check with a couple of mortgage brokers as well as a couple of big banks to see what you'll be paying. Trying to line up all of those numbers will make your head spin though.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:38 AM

25 posts, read 125,859 times
Default Mortgage shopping

Our total income is about 98k

Our credit is between 795 - 850 (all three)

We have about 5k credit card which I don't know if we should pay off before we go for a loan or not

We have been pre-approved for a loan of 160k but it was 6 months or so ago and we got a raised recently.

We plan to down about 10-15% (because I heard that we have to pay for about $10k for a 200k home

thanks for your inputs

Old 12-29-2011, 12:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhome1234 View Post
Our total income is about 98k

Our credit is between 795 - 850 (all three)

We have about 5k credit card which I don't know if we should pay off before we go for a loan or not

We have been pre-approved for a loan of 160k but it was 6 months or so ago and we got a raised recently.

We plan to down about 10-15% (because I heard that we have to pay for about $10k for a 200k home

thanks for your inputs
You should qualify for the best rates. You should definitely speak to a couple good loan officers to see which offers the best options. I'm not a loan officer, but I don't think you have to pay your credit card debt down at all. They will only calculate your minimum monthly payment into your monthly debt. That will be added to other debts like car loans, cell phones, students loans, etc.

I believe 30 years rates are between 3.75-4%. That's pretty good.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Rather than put down 10%, with a 90% loan - you might consider a 10% down, with a 80/10 loan combo. It will eliminate Private Mortgage Insurance. The 10% loan will be at a higher interest rate, but will still wind up being less in total payment. Afterwards, concentrate on knocking out the 10% loan, at the higher rate.

Agree with tstone - avoid the bigger banks. It used to be the opposite but the world has flip-flopped.

Whoever you talk to - ask for a GFE (Good Faith Estimate) on an imaginary house for a certain amount. Compare the GFEs.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:54 PM

377 posts, read 1,346,297 times
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhome1234 View Post
My husband and I plan to buy our first home (first time buyer) or a new to be built.. We need tips on how to shop for a mortgage loan ..

Any tip is appreciated .

Thank you

Old 12-29-2011, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,841 times
Go to your local credit union and talk to a mortgage loan officer. They can pull up your credit report and tell you what you need to fix in order to qualify for a mortgage. That is what my husband & I (first time home buyers too) did last week and found out that we qualified for an FHA loan with a very good interest rate. We too thought that we needed to pay off our credit card debt before qualifying for a mortgage, but that wasn't true at all. They are more concerned with your credit score & monthly expenses vs income ratio.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:48 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
I agree that the local credit unions often have the best rates, but I find their loan origination fees to be expensive. Talk to your credit union, adn get a referral from your realtor for a mortgage broker that can pre-qualify you and shop a loan out at the best price. Remember, you cannot lock in an interest rate until you have an executed purchase contract and rates can always change.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:18 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Although you dont need to pay off your credit card, you should. Why would you want to pay $6 interest each month on your chinese food you bought 2 months ago. Paying credit card interest is a huge waste if you have the money.

Lets say your interest rate is 12% and you pay $100 payment each month on a $5,000 credit card bill. It will take you 259 months (21 years) to be rid of your debt. In that time, you will pay $4,544.98 in interest.

Use credit cards, but pay them off each month.

Last edited by 399083453; 12-29-2011 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages