Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,054 times

Advertisements

House #1 is in Illinois. We are buying a condo in Naples Fl. Should we take the equity out of our #1 house to pay for house #2 so we can use the interest on the loan to help pay less taxes or get a loan on the condo and just call it a second home. We might want to rent it out until we retire if we can come to an agreement with the home owners association (they say our condo cannot be rented out the first year and for no more than six months to the same person.) I think if we rented it out we wound not be able to call it a second home. We need to close on the property the first part of April so need to make a decision soon. We have good credit too. Any help I can be given would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Technically what you are suggesting is specifically prohibited by the terms of just about all HELOCs / fixed term home equity loans. They started doing this around the time the mortage market was imploded.

That said I have not heard of any lender really calling a loan for that reason as long as the borrower remains current.

You need to understand the tax limitations of renting out a second home too. http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc415.html

Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
A lot of people did this to buy mountain vacation homes up until a few years ago, and that's part of what lead to the big home mortgage crisis. Eventually the property values went down on both and they were underwater twice. It worked great when prices were going up 10% or more a year.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,054 times
Thank you for your replies. Regarding answer #1, I didn't explain myself very well. I meant to say a refinance of house #1 for house #2, not a HELOC. It is probably not a good idea anyway. Thanks

Old 02-29-2012, 11:54 AM

989 posts, read 2,856,285 times
I did that in 2009- refinanced my primary property mortgage to pull money out to pay for a vacation property. My original mortgage was at 5.5% and the new mortgage was at 4.5% so my payments only went up approximately $250 per month. I refinanced again (no money out) last fall at 3.75% and my payments are back down to around what they were before the cash-out refi in 2009. I do owe more on the loan than i did but the payments are about the same. I kinda got a free vacation house (with a bit more debt).

Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Rouse View Post
Thank you for your replies. Regarding answer #1, I didn't explain myself very well. I meant to say a refinance of house #1 for house #2, not a HELOC. It is probably not a good idea anyway. Thanks
Actually it is probably a great idea. Much easier to do a cash out refi on your primary residence than it is to finance a condo in FL that may be an investment property. Better deal too.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Rouse View Post
We might want to rent it out until we retire
What if there is no renters in that area in the next 10 years? Can you pay for both houses without any financial problems? A flood of rental property is going to hit soon especially in the Ft Meyers/Naples area.

My advice? Dont risk your home to buy another house and then loose both.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 AM

230 posts, read 407,469 times
I am thinking about doing this as well, however my house is paid for. Just looking to get enough out for 20-30% down on a 2nd home in FL.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,202 times
Our house just went on the market. It's paid off. We found a condo we love, but don't have enough cash to pay for it outright. Is it smarter to borrow against the first house to pay off the second? Or, to get a mortgage on the 2nd with no prepayment penalty and pay it off when we sell the first? From a previous answer it sounds like a home equity line of credit is out of the question. We'd need to take out 2/3 of the value of the first if we went that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages