Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 PM

805 posts, read 2,116,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Maybe something like federal and state laws saying it is?
Nope.

Check this site:
http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2010/...praisal-rules/

It says that "two different appraisals came in $200,000 apart." Did the appraiser say, "Oops was the house supposed to be included". The more I research appraisals, the funnier they are.

Last edited by mrboltonman; 02-21-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
Nope.

Check this site:
10 Things You Should Know About the New Appraisal Rules | AOL Real Estate

It says that "two different appraisals came in $200,000 apart." Did the appraiser say, "Oops was the house supposed to be included". The more I research appraisals, the funnier they are.
I must have missed the part in that link that states that it's perfectly legal for the borrower to only pay for the appraisal after he has verified that it's "accurate".

The more I read your posts, the funnier they are.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM

I didn't say the link proved it. what is the heck wrong with some of you. argue, insult, argue ...

Post a link to a site proving it's illegal and I'll shutup or you shutup.

Anyways, I found my original appraisal when I got my house and the square footage is right around what I figure. I got "professional proof" I guess. It should help my appeal nevertheless.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
I didn't say the link proved it. what is the heck wrong with some of you. argue, insult, argue ...

Post a link to a site proving it's illegal and I'll shutup or you shutup.

Anyways, I found my original appraisal when I got my house and the square footage is right around what I figure. I got "professional proof" I guess. It should help my appeal nevertheless.
How much is the square footage discrepency?

What condition code did the appraiser come up with (i.e. C2 or C3 or C4)?

What was wrong with the comps chosen?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
How much is the square footage discrepency?

What condition code did the appraiser come up with (i.e. C2 or C3 or C4)?

What was wrong with the comps chosen?
The 2 appraisals differ like 600 sq ft.

I didn't see a code but the 1st - ave/good and 2nd ave.

comps - one is in a different neighborhood (I live in Baltimore and some neighborhoods are bad.). Another was a foreclosure which I'm not sure about the condition. It was put down a fair tho.

There is more stuff wrong but there is no point getting into that here.

Let the hate comments start but I'm done.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
Post a link to a site proving it's illegal and I'll shutup..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice
An appraiser must not accept an assignment, or have a compensation arrangement for an assignment, that is contingent on any of the following:
1. the reporting of a predetermined result (e.g., opinion of value);
2. a direction in assignment results that favors the cause of the client;
3. the amount of a value opinion;
4. the attainment of a stipulated result (e.g., th at the loan closes, or taxes are reduced); or
5. the occurrence of a subsequent event directly related to the appraiser’s opinions and specific to the assignment’s purpose.
this is the law according to FIRREA. It is the law according to the Dodd Frank Act. It is the law according to the Truth in Lending Act. Now shut up.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Will the Federal Register qualify as legal evidence? (Hint: yes) Page 8, last paragraph on the left hand side.....the paragraph that addresses withholding payment for a value

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-26671.pdf

Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
this is the law according to FIRREA. It is the law according to the Dodd Frank Act. It is the law according to the Truth in Lending Act. Now shut up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Will the Federal Register qualify as legal evidence? (Hint: yes) Page 8, last paragraph on the left hand side.....the paragraph that addresses withholding payment for a value

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-26671.pdf
Y'all are warming the cockles of my compliancey little heart.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
[quote=mrboltonman;23080308]

Quote:
You can click the multi quote button so you don't have to make multiple posts
Well, aren't you the clever one?

Quote:
In my case it doesn't seem like their was any accountability of the appraisal when it was submitted. The appraiser wrote it then sent it to the bank and then I get it. I don't see how anyone checked the results to make sure the info is accurate but I'm stuck being out the money and time finding a lender.
How do you know what goes on between the time the appraisal was submitted to the appraiser's client and the time you received it? I would have gone through Quality Control, Underwriting and possibly even a desk review.

Quote:
I didn't see an option to file a review of the appraisal on the board's site but only a complaint so that's what I did. If a review option was available then I would done that.
So you expect the Board to do a review for you free of charge?

Quote:
Also, this a poor comparison of professions. I hope you're not comparing comps like this
The proper way to put that would be: "I hope you are not comparing SALES like this." Not every sale is a Comparable Sale, even it is the house next door.

Quote:
Well, I did tell the lender to appeal it but was told it would most likely not change.
Because, most likely, they had it reviewed and the review agreed with the appraisal.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:20 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
What a jackwagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages