Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 01:56 PM

9 posts, read 39,485 times

Advertisements

I'm shopping around for loans now to start the first time home buying process and NFCU loans are looking great based on some preapprovals. One concern I've seen noted in other forums is NFCU's strict and/or slow closing process, especially on some of their low down payment products (FHA, HomeBuyers Choice, etc.), which is what we're looking at.

If you have experience as a buyer using NFCU is there anything I should be prepared for during closing when using one of those products?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 02:47 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
I'm not a buyer, but I work with buyers who have gotten their loan through Navy Federal. They definitely have their own process. You cannot speed things up, unless there's a dire emergency. I had a buyer who's father lived out of the country and was dying. She needed to get to him. NFCU actually went outside their box to make it happen, and the dad died 2 weeks later.

Other times, when people just want to close quicker for the heck of it, they work their own time frame and you just have to deal with it. That's with most credit unions.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:33 AM

91 posts, read 268,949 times
I looked at them for a VA loan last year. They had slightly better rates than the lender I went with but the closing costs were really high, enough that it negated the lower rate. It may be better for a non-VA loan though. Based on past experience with them they can be very rigid so if you need someone with some flexibility you may wish to look elsewhere.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:48 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,483 times
We recently purchased a home and looked at both NFCU and USAA for VA loans. NFCU ended up being a far better deal. They paid $2,500 in closing costs and gave us a $250 VISA gift card at closing. We had absolutely no problems or delays throughout the process.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
The NFCU headquarters is in our backyard and we get a ton of referrals from the folks over there, including the employees. They have two speeds, slow and slower. I recommend the OP find another lender, only because we have seen sellers favor the non-credit union offer in a multiple contract situation.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 PM

25 posts, read 227,944 times
I am considering NFCU so can they close in 30 days of given a contract? I was totally unaware of the slow NFCU process so this is a bit surprising hope it will not hold up me buying a home. thanks

Old 03-11-2012, 11:01 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mai95 View Post
I am considering NFCU so can they close in 30 days of given a contract? I was totally unaware of the slow NFCU process so this is a bit surprising hope it will not hold up me buying a home. thanks
They prefer 45 days, but it depends on the person you get handling the file. Some move quicker than others. Some are more hands on while others just pass the file to the processor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages