Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:25 AM

167 posts, read 258,510 times

Advertisements

I brought my house about 12 years ago. I added my husband to the mortgage and the deed about a year later. He ran off with another women about a year after that. I have been searching for him since 1999, and can't seem to locate him. The closest I have come to finding him was learning that two years ago he was in jail in Indiana. (he also has several warrents out for him here in PA.). I have struggled to keep the house on my own, and now would like to sell. My mortgage is with Countrywide and so far they can't or won't do anything to help me. Is there a way for me to sell the house without his signature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 09:36 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Get a real estate attorney ASAP. I believe there are ways around this situation.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:11 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie07 View Post
I brought my house about 12 years ago. I added my husband to the mortgage and the deed about a year later. He ran off with another women about a year after that. I have been searching for him since 1999, and can't seem to locate him. The closest I have come to finding him was learning that two years ago he was in jail in Indiana. (he also has several warrents out for him here in PA.). I have struggled to keep the house on my own, and now would like to sell. My mortgage is with Countrywide and so far they can't or won't do anything to help me. Is there a way for me to sell the house without his signature?
I don't know a solution, but really feel for you. I don't think I'll ever commingle finances again. You're basically being held a hostage... Sounds like you haven't gotten a divorce, either.

Hope there is some way around this. Good luck!

It probably will depend on the state you live in (whether it's a community property state or not). Found something for you:

Consider a couple with a home the wife bought before the marriage. If the wife continued to make mortgage payments with her separate property money, the home might still be her sole separate property. If she added the husband's name to the deed, she made a "presumptive gift" of the house, and it is now community property. If the mortgage was paid with joint property (such as both salaries), the home is, or at least the proceeds of the sale are, partially community property and partially separate property.

Technically, a court might hold that the property is the wife's separate property but the husband may be entitled to a reimbursement of amounts paid toward the mortgage and maintenance of the home. In this case, it is critical for the parties and probably the broker to have a discussion with the parties' attorneys. A financial expert, such as a CPA, certified divorce planner, or a certified financial planner may also be valuable in helping them sort out their financial situation.

Tracy B. Stewart CPA, CFP® - Texas Certified Divorce and Financial Planning (http://www.texasdivorcecpa.com/divorce/real_estate.htm - broken link)

TX is a community property state.

Here's something from Minnesota - an "equitable distribution" state.

DivorceNet - Property and Debt Allocation in Minnesota Divorce

In any event, you probably need to find your spouse, but perhaps something can be done after such a long absence.

Last edited by sierraAZ; 01-13-2008 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Do you have his social security number?

Old 01-13-2008, 10:26 AM

I do have his social security number, and I have run checks on it. He is not using it. He has not even filed one tax return since he has left.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:26 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,332,580 times
There are ways to deal with it. An attorney could help you.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:33 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
I agree. Contact an attorney.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the information. Your right, I haven't gotten my divorce, yet. I am working on that. The problem with attorneys is that they cost a lot of money. lol I have made all of the payments with my own money, and it was my money that brought the house to begin with. Maybe I can find an attorney that will do the work, and wait for payment til the sale of the house. Has anyone ever heard of that happening? Thanks everyone for your posts and suggestions. Lisa

Old 01-13-2008, 12:48 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,220,437 times
Best way is see a Divorce Attorney and get the house awarded to you. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2008, 02:12 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,592,630 times
yep if you get a divorce attorney they maybe able to file the papers...and he wont be able to contest what you want...that's if he stays in jail.

I'm sure a divorce attorney will be able to go over all your options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages