Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,181 times

Advertisements

After a very bad loan experience with a large bank, I switched lenders after the appraisal had been requested and completed by the first lender but before the loan application was completed (essentially, they were still asking me to provide documents). I have asked the bank to forward the appraisal to me, but they have not. Do I have a legal right to the appraisal, or do I have a right to dispute the charges I paid for the appraisal if they don't provide it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 03:43 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Yes you have a legal right to the appraisal under ECOA.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:48 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
It's up to your new lender as to whether or not they will accept the original appraisal. The appraiser cannot re-address the report however the appraiser can do a new appraisal and it's up to him/her what the new fee will be. And it's not the appraiser's fault that you changed lenders, yet you don't want them to get paid?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 8,181 times
Why would you make those assumptions? I am well aware my new lender may not accept the appraisal, but the fact is, I paid for an appraisal that the original lender isn't sending to me and I wanted to confirm whether it was my right to receive it or not. I was charged by the bank for the appraisal fee and actually talked to the appraiser about how he was paid and he told me he was paid through a government subsidy program and not by the bank...essentially he would get paid regardless of whether I tried to dispute the charge from the bank for withholding the appraisal.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:15 AM

276 posts, read 231,337 times
as the earlier poster stated, as long as you paid for it you have a right to receive a copy of the appraisal. I believe there is a disclosure in the application you're required to sign informing you of this right. you need to make the request in writing w/in 90 days of withdrawing the application. i'd send a certified letter.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
It's up to your new lender as to whether or not they will accept the original appraisal. The appraiser cannot re-address the report however the appraiser can do a new appraisal and it's up to him/her what the new fee will be. And it's not the appraiser's fault that you changed lenders, yet you don't want them to get paid?
The buyer does not have control of payment to the appraiser.

Even if the buyer cancels his check to the bank or contests his credit card, it doesn't mean the appraiser won't get paid. The bank is responsible for the payment, not the applicant. If he didn't pay for the appraisal, the bank does not have to provide a copy to the borrower. If he didn't pay for the appraisal, the bank must pay the appraiser.

And for what it's worth, I don't know of any bank or lender that is accepting an appraisal assignment - they cannot certify it meets AI regulations, so even if one appraisal had been done, a second fee would be quite likely. The only exception to this is on VA or FHA loans, where the case number is transferred.

This sounds like the order was canceled before the appraiser even got the job rolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages